Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Double vision (ghosting) at night through windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All this loaner talk... How often is everyone in service center with their X. My closest SC is a solid 3 hours or 150+ miles away. Not an easy or fun drive to make often. Loaner or not.
Mine has been in three times for three weeks total of the eight weeks (almost nine) I've owned it. I'm roughly the same distance away; they flatbed a loaner to my house. I would hope they would do the same for you.

Last edited:
All this loaner talk... How often is everyone in service center with their X. My closest SC is a solid 3 hours or 150+ miles away. Not an easy or fun drive to make often. Loaner or not.

Only once, but they trailered the loaner to me and trailered my MX to the SC 1.5 hrs away. For me it was no problem, the came when they said they would and brought me an older 85 MS to drive for a few days while they worked on my car.

I have Perfect vision and I see ghosting of at least 3 of one light.
I just heard from my Tesla service today and tesla has found a solution. They will be replacing my windshield when they receive the replacement......apparently they are on back order so who knows when this is going to happen.

That is great news! Which service center told you this? If they sent you and email could you post it to the forum so I can share it with the guy at my service center that is working on this and told me recently that they do not have a solution yet? Having that in writing would be golden :)

That is great news! Which service center told you this? If they sent you and email could you post it to the forum so I can share it with the guy at my service center that is working on this and told me recently that they do not have a solution yet? Having that in writing would be golden :)
I don't have it in writing. I spoke with Carl Métivier at the Montreal (Canada) dealership. I hope it won't be too much longer.

Ooh, interesting. Supposedly I was on "the list" to get priority replacement when I first brought it up on August 1. I was last in for service on Friday, and was there again today (had to buy a new tire - had a non-repairable nail in one. Ouch). This was not mentioned at all. Keep us updated. If you really do receive a replacement windshield that fixes the problem, my SA will be getting an email :).
I will definitely let everyone know :) Hopefully it won't be a long wait!

I have been following these 27 pages of this thread so far...and recall others having their windshield replaced...and for some it didn't make a difference. For me, I haven't driven too much at night (long distance) but it wasn't anything out of the ordinary when it did get dark. I don't normally stare into the headlights of oncoming cars or stare at the stoplights...

Then again, my eyesight is really poor and I wear a very strong prescription lenses. Maybe this counteracts the effect, LOL??!

I have been following these 27 pages of this thread so far...and recall others having their windshield replaced...and for some it didn't make a difference. For me, I haven't driven too much at night (long distance) but it wasn't anything out of the ordinary when it did get dark. I don't normally stare into the headlights of oncoming cars or stare at the stoplights...

Then again, my eyesight is really poor and I wear a very strong prescription lenses. Maybe this counteracts the effect, LOL??!
My wife usually drives with glasses and has said she doesn't see it so I thought this could have something to do with it as well.

<snip>
I don't normally stare into the headlights of oncoming cars or stare at the stoplights... <snip>
Just got home from driving at night and I see triple headlights when they are far off.

What is worse (!) though is the huge variety of bright rear taillights and brakelight configurations now that LEDs are being used. I see double of everyone of them.

2014-dodge-durango-rt-brake-lights.jpg

Tail_lights_dark_zps91ba65f9.jpg

Ghosting is that bad????
Yep. That's my situation. Though, to be honest, you're not looking straight at only that. You're looking all over the roadway. But as my Service Center says:

Test drove vehicle in low light conditions and verified customer concern. Found vehicle to have large amounts of ghosting when other vehicles headlights or stoplights shine through the front windshield. Reflections (ghosting) occur in all laminated glass to varying degrees and affect some more than others. A small handful of customers have experienced this phenomenon. We are investigating the root cause, and you will be given priority once a solution is available.

Yep. That's my situation. Though, to be honest, you're not looking straight at only that. You're looking all over the roadway. But as my Service Center says:

Yes, it is intolerable! And still nothing but crickets.....

Wow, I hope they fix it for you. If my X had that (or if I noticed that) I would not drive at night.

Reactions: EV-lutioin
Ghosting is that bad????
That's what mine looks like. I have to actively ignore it to not be bugged by it. I think what bothers me the most is stop lights when all three lights look like they're lit up green.

My wife still hasn't noticed it, but she has to be able to see it. I think she doesn't know how to describe it, and I've avoided pushing her to see it.