Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downgraded UI in v11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's obvious they design only on a computer then push it to the car. They've never driven a car before and think font size negative 4 and grey on light grey is just fine for everything.
no, that's not true at all.

its called HIL testing (hardware in the loop) and yes, you do test on real hw before you release.

this just means they LIKE what they, the devs, have done. its not because they are unaware. (funny to even think so)

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Isn't the seat heaters now have an Auto function ? If it works as expected then removing it from the bottom bar should be ok.
Nope - I specifically want separate seat controls vs cabin temp controls. I open the windows a crack, cabin temp is off and only heated seats on - why is that config not something given any validity? Come on Tesla, you Do Not always (ever?) know what I want...

Please calm down we had the sames bugs in version 10 remember for S ans X fonts and icons is too small on the dashscreen and 2-3 updates lateer is perfect. It's only version 11 that push just for holiday

I hope you're right and am wishing for an update that adds a way to restore high-contrast, larger text, map, and backup camera. No doubt they were busy with the Plaid release and supply chain adaptations, but they could've prioritized fixing last year's driving usability problems over adding games & toys if they wanted to.

Usability tests with non-gamers driving in adverse road conditions would help. Video tape Elon's mom trying to adjust the defroster, lights, and wipers when the auto features don't suffice. Show that to Elon.

• Funny
Reactions: Boza and Msjulie
I vote for going back to UI V10, with some changes. The four main gripes are Seat heaters, Defroster, tire pressure, homelink

1) biggest frustration..Have to turn on the heater to get to the seat warmer. Setting to AUTO only works if you set the heater to AUTO...this is nuts. Plus is no longer a one touch to turn on...Really bad
2) Defroster now is two touches not one..At least allow us to customize ALL functions to the bottow line..I could care less about video or other "cute" functions that I never use
3) Tire pressure...wasnt great under v10 but I could find it if I swiped just right on Left side..I have no clue where its at now
4) Homelink..I have to swipe away the fasten seat belt to get to homelink to close the garage door(s)..Very dumb. Allow as a function like other icons...

Bottom line, hopefully feedback will be reviewed by Tesla software folks and make a new version V11.1 Thanks

Isn't the seat heaters now have an Auto function ? If it works as expected then removing it from the bottom bar should be ok.
Not even a little. First, we often run seat heaters w/o any climate on. 2nd, passenger gets in and doesn't see heated seat control and asks driver how or worse starts tapping things. My sister visited over the holiday and first time in the car didn't need to be treated as a child but could see and action the heated seat all by herself. Novel concept I guess.

Oh and just ONE tap needed too. Wow

My phones OS also get updated after a while.
Most people wouldn't call a phone a long term durable good.

Why are people making such a drama about some software updates is above my comprehension.
Because we buy one thing and have something else 'forced' upon us and I for one keep cars far longer than a phone. At the absolute minimum, the new UI should be previewed by Tesla someplace so people have the option to avoid a safety and convenience downgrade at their choosing for there $$$$ car. Phone updates are previewed these days be default in the form of user betas and tech blogs and users have a choice to ignore an unwanted change to a device they own.

Luckily we have these forums and brave folks who made video reviews of the new software to give the rest of us a chance at avoiding it since Tesla has no return path for prior versions. Even Apple allows that for a time.

Most people wouldn't call a phone a long term durable good.

Because we buy one thing and have something else 'forced' upon us and I for one keep cars far longer than a phone. At the absolute minimum, the new UI should be previewed by Tesla someplace so people have the option to avoid a safety and convenience downgrade at their choosing for there $$$$ car. Phone updates are previewed these days be default in the form of user betas and tech blogs and users have a choice to ignore an unwanted change to a device they own.

Luckily we have these forums and brave folks who made video reviews of the new software to give the rest of us a chance at avoiding it since Tesla has no return path for prior versions. Even Apple allows that for a time.
You are not « forced » to upgrade. Same goes for phones and so on. ( I have iPhones still under iOS 13 for specific reasons)
many people are happy though with the update and the new owners don’t care how was the UI before.
Tesla cars are just cars (EV) with wheels and they work also without upgrades 😉

You are not « forced » to upgrade. Same goes for phones and so on. ( I have iPhones still under iOS 13 for specific reasons)
many people are happy though with the update and the new owners don’t care how was the UI before.
Yes they can't come tie me up and upgrade my car against my will but unsurprisingly they have told me (in customer support email) that I will/may lose support for some things (vague) and that any issues with the car may not be supported by them if I'm on an older OS, or they force me to update to do any troubleshooting.

In effect, software like this is eventually forced on you if you want your warranty or support for connected services to work. Cheers on keeping the old iOS version but I know Apple won't help you with pretty much anything at all if you have a concern :)

Actually, you are forced to update. If the SC does not do it for you, Tesla will ultimately push it. There are a few threads about that. Even if you don’t do it yourself, sooner or later it will be pushed.

Actually, you are forced to update. If the SC does not do it for you, Tesla will ultimately push it. There are a few threads about that. Even if you don’t do it yourself, sooner or later it will be pushed.
Another factor about updates, I update as soon as it rolls out is because they are constantly tweaking ( and hopefully improving) autopilot and other safety features. It's really a bummer the UI has been completely scrambled, since that seems like It will be the longest wait before they touch it..

Took me like 20 min to find WHICH of my tires was low today in the wife's 3. That's about 19 min too long.
Changing profiles is a HUGE hassle.
doing anything feels like a hassle.
the nav info is WAY too small, with no boxes around it. sure it looks cute but you can't read it at a glance.

It's obvious they design only on a computer then push it to the car. They've never driven a car before and think font size negative 4 and grey on light grey is just fine for everything.

It's a horrific UI.
For the tire pressure, I clicked the right steering button and said, “Show tire pressure” and it popped up the tire pressure card. I think it might be nice if we could click on the low pressure warning icon to pull up the card.

Yeah, the ONLY thing this needs is an UNINSTALL button. There's nothing in there I couldn't live without. Today on a trip I had to fight with the screen to show me super chargers for a while, then fight with it again in the dark on unfamiliar roads to get the defog on. Can't wait until someone crashes and blames the 500 taps it takes to do anything. Then fight with it again because the UI/UX is intentionally $hit, just to try to get a XM channel on.

The good news is v11 is a FREE eye test while super charging. the font is exactly 0.00001" high. Because.. F YOU that's why. They have HUGE COLORFUL screens, but decided that blank empty black space is preferable to showing you information you NEED to operate the VEHICLE.

I have a service ticket in for the 17th. we shall see what happens. I just want v10 back.

I have no idea how this got past ANY kind of QA or real world testing or anyone who's not 12 and thinks it would be just super to make things hard to use while operating a 6,000lb 80 MPH machine.