Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EAP Class Action Settlement 7-26-18

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

boonedocks

MS LR Blk/Blk 19”
May 1, 2015
Gainesville GA
Looks like the next step in the EAP Class Action Settlement is arriving in the mails today. I just TRULY wish Tesla and Elon would be honest and truthful when espousing what is being sold and what is coming. Stuff like this did NOT need to happen.

IMG_2020.jpg

Reactions: KyleDay
Many of us also pre-paid for FSD based on the fictitious video associated with the FSD option when purchasing our cars. I plan on keeping my S100D as long as it keeps going but many will be furious when they sell their cars after 2+ years of ownership and (probably) not getting a .01 for the pre-paid FSD option compared to other used / CPO models available without it.

Many of us also pre-paid for FSD based on the fictitious video associated with the FSD option when purchasing our cars. I plan on keeping my S100D as long as it keeps going but many will be furious when they sell their cars after 2+ years of ownership and (probably) not getting a .01 for the pre-paid FSD option compared to other used / CPO models available without it.
This is especially unfortunate for people who paid for FSD and did a 2 or 3 year lease.

Reactions: tizio
Since I got my car Sept. 28, 2017 2 days before the cut off I think I will pass on this :). I am definitely not a fan of most class action lawsuits that I have been made aware off. Seems like most of the money seems to go to the lawyers.

I do wonder what Tesla could have done since October 2016 that would have prevented this EAP law suit? I think what they are planning to do regarding FSD by releasing "some" FSD features is a good start for FSD. I just hope that Aug. 2018 does not turn into an estimated first quarter 2019 comment.

We discussed most of this when this was in the making. Not sure how $20 is supposed to actually do anything for us September deliveries. Were we supposed to be so educated/undamaged somehow that we are only ‘entitled’ to that? :D

Still trying to see how you order before whenever (a year earlier?) and take delivery in 9/2017 (the top row of the table which was worth $5 more).

As usual the legal creations in the awards are hard to fathom. Not sure whether to ignore it, object, or remove myself from it.

Since I got my car Sept. 28, 2017 2 days before the cut off I think I will pass on this :). I am definitely not a fan of most class action lawsuits that I have been made aware off. Seems like most of the money seems to go to the lawyers.

I do wonder what Tesla could have done since October 2016 that would have prevented this EAP law suit? I think what they are planning to do regarding FSD by releasing "some" FSD features is a good start for FSD. I just hope that Aug. 2018 does not turn into an estimated first quarter 2019 comment.

I mean, what they could've done is arguably be more up-front about how AP2 in Oct 2016 isn't going to do anything at all, and that maybe by 1 year later it'll somewhat erratically behave like AP1, and it won't be until 1.5 years or so later (and the firing/quitting/whatever of 2 heads of AP and multiple neural net rewrites) that it starts coming close to being Autosteer+…

Of course they might've lost some sales :D

But more seriously, their initial wording that EAP is "coming" December 2016 was horrible and probably why they lost this case. By the Sept 2017 cutoff, Tesla had fixed a lot of their wording around EAP/FSD feature descriptions, and it was almost certain that your test drives would've been on AP2 cars, making it harder to claim one was duped into buying AP2.

Those initial people in late 2016 who test drove AP1 and got delivered the initial 17.4.x -> 2017.28.x versions of AP2? I feel really bad for them.

Those initial people in late 2016 who test drove AP1 and got delivered the initial 17.4.x -> 2017.28.x versions of AP2? I feel really bad for them.

Were you not one of them? Could have sworn I saw your here around time... For myself, I got my car Dec 30 2016(technically counts!), 1 day before getting the initial update that went to 1k of us in California and unlocked TACC and low speed autosteer(or, in theory did; for me it just meant losing any form of cruise control for ~6 weeks). Anyway, I'm happy with the $280 as restitution for the wait for now. Too much more delay in the freeway->freeway and that may change.

Were you not one of them? Could have sworn I saw your here around time... For myself, I got my car Dec 30 2016(technically counts!), 1 day before getting the initial update that went to 1k of us in California and unlocked TACC and low speed autosteer(or, in theory did; for me it just meant losing any form of cruise control for ~6 weeks). Anyway, I'm happy with the $280 as restitution for the wait for now. Too much more delay in the freeway->freeway and that may change.

I am a willing victim and arguably don’t deserve any settlement haha.

So I was here in December. I got my AP1 S70D in 2016. I had “range regret” due to road tripping and really wanted a 100D instead. AP2’s announcement excited me and I almost pulled the trigger except luckily I didn’t.

I watched AP2 floundering until around March 2017 or so. It was mostly thanks to the early adopter info around 17.17.4 and the very excellent work of our TMC hackers that made me feel confident enough to take advantage of an excellent trade in opportunity for an AP2 car.

So I consider myself a lucky one. I’ve enjoyed the path from 17.17.4 to here. It was fun seeing 17.28 (“silky smooth”), 17.40 (no longer accelerated towards semi trailers), 2018.10.4, etc etc etc. felt like getting 3 new cars via OTA. But I also enjoy being on the bleeding edge — my Windows 10 is on the Insider fast ring + skip ahead. My Mac and iOS devices are on public betas.

I had a ‘15 S85D which I was very happy with. When AP2 was announced I was...meh.....maybe but I really am happy with AP1. Several months later the S100D was announced and the Tesla produced FSD fakavideo had been making the rounds and I bit the bullet.

Had I known then what I know now and the knowledge of the misrepresentations I would have 100% waited to sell my S85D auto purchase my S100D. Before EAP was even beginning to roll out yet 2.5 was already in the wild. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. If the only thing that comes out of the CAS is Tesla having to be honest and transparent then I’ll be happy.

The problem is the amount of $$$ is so little in the grand scheme to Tesla / Elon I am disheartened to say it probably won’t make a hill of beans difference on what we are told and what comes from quarterly / annual meetIngs & Twitter - misleading prognostications.

BTW I tweeted this 3 days ago and have heard nothing but crickets chirping:

@elonmusk @tesla can those of us with PRE-PAID FSD still be excited about features coming in August 2018 or should we plan on being disappointed?

Last edited:
Reactions: kavyboy
If the only thing that comes out of the CAS is Tesla having to be honest and transparent then I’ll be happy.
That will be the reason I am not excluding myself from the settlement. While I got lucky and don't feel cheated, I do still want Tesla to pay a price and not escape without consequences for selling ambitious vaporware and representing it in a way that the rest of the industry would market actual finished features… Hopefully they don't do this again going forward.

Let's all remember that not a single EAP feature exists today.
That is true for FSD, but not so for EAP.
I've been using EAP features since the first version of autosteer was released a month after I got my X.

I don't see what the hubbub is about here. I got exactly what I expected and I'm happy with it. They are also still within the letter of what they promised for FSD when I ordered in Q1 2017. If they had delivered autosteer and adaptive cruise any earlier, it's likely they'd have more accidents as a result. Damned either way, I guess.

Last edited: