Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If your system needs vehicle to infrastructure, vehicle to vehicle, and/or vehicle to cyclist, it is only one failure away from not working.
Battery dead on cyclist transponder? Road kill.
Intersection transponder off due to blackout? T-bone.
Vehicle transponder does exist (old car) or faulty? Crashola.
Sure it makes it easier to implement, but the implementation is much more brittle.

It's actually the other way around in that it's less brittle.

It gets us to autonomous driving sooner because it does two very important things.

Adds significant redundancy, and allows for traffic efficiency gains that these systems offer. This doesn't abandon other forms of detection, but augments them.

The fact is that autonomous cars have to be safer than human drivers by a significant margin. So you need things like sensor fusion, and v2v communication to add layers of protection.

Having nation wide v2v system that has passive transponder for bikes/pedestrians gives me additional protection with not just autonomous cars, but cars being driven by humans. Where the HUD of a vehicle can show me in the display even before the vehicle crests the hill.

Oh, and you wouldn't have a battery in a cyclist transponder. You just stick it in a way it is powered off the rotation of the wheel. We're not talking about a whole lot of power.

Last edited:
To summarize much of the prior two dozen posts, I think one can state:

Most experts agree that Level 5 Autonomy will be achieved 5 years after whatever year you start counting from.

IMHO there is a certain element of hubris in thinking that human beings cannot easily be bested by mere machines. Case in point -- after only a month or two Navigate on Autopilot already surpasses 97.274% of California drivers on that very important but unfortunately mostly lost talent of getting the &%! out of the way after passing.;)

As the apparent victim of child abuse at the hands of his father, perhaps Elon is more attuned to humanity's foibles and shortcomings than most.

APmoveoutofpassinglane.jpg

2018.48.1 NavOnAP now prompts to move out of passing lane. : teslamotors

Last edited:
Economical space travel was also only a few years off in the 50s. Not all things just "around the corner" are pipe dreams that will never happen. But it usually takes a visionary with a lot of drive to make it happen. Established players are not interested in disrupting their own bread and butter and will stick to more proven technologies until the disruptors or governments force them to. The Europeans car makers are getting on the EV bandwagon because they are getting both: Tesla is pushing on their market from one direction and European governments are pushing on them from a regulatory direction.

SpaceX is a smoother running company. In part because of the different type of business and in part because SpaceX has a very effective COO and Tesla doesn't.

Tesla would be ran much more smoothly if they were not public. The amount of time wasted by Tesla having to fight the short narrative and Wall Street is quite extensive. This is why I was so excited about the “thinking of going private” tweet. But in hindsight, I’m glad they didn’t take the money from the Saudis. Sadly, someone else will.

This was hilarious! The car "winks" (their word) at the young female pedestrian, then sadly proceeds when she refuses to acknowledge it. Must be a guy Mercedes. And the lights "follow" her as she passes in front!

What does it do when she kicks in the grille, rips off a wiper blade, and growls, "Shove off, creep!"
Weird sound when it squats down (unless thats not the car but the video sound track). Did you notice it lifts front at a diff rate than rear?

Status
Not open for further replies.