Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the contempt hearing is the least of his problems after the clandestine earnings brief and profit warning on Thursday after hours, that’s a huge breach of the rules. That’s more likely to see him removed as CEO than the tweet monitoring contempt hearing in my opinion.

I can’t imagine why an experienced general council left after just two months and coincidentally the day after those tweets, I can’t see any connections at all......

He’s his own worst enemy.

The Pentagon is reviewing Elon Musk’s federal security clearance following the billionaire’s marijuana toke on a California comedian’s podcast in September, according to a U.S. official.

Musk has refiled his SF-86 security form, which requires a federal employee or contractor seeking a clearance to acknowledge any illegal drug use over the previous seven years, according to the official, who asked not to be identified. The entrepreneur has a secret-level clearance because of his role as founder and CEO of Space Exploration Technologies Corp., which is certified to launch military spy satellites.

<snip>
Full article at:
Elon Musk’s Security Clearance Under Review Over Pot Use

This whole pot thing is one of the worst aspects of Elon coming into contact with one of the worst aspects of government.

The pot thing because Elon has this weird need to make people happy. My interpretation of the event was Elon is that's he's not into pot, but took a drag just to play into what the host was talking about.

The federal government because they're antiquated laws against pot. How does the Federal Government even get good employees these days?

Here is a good quote.

FBI Director James Comey said that the policy against hiring anyone who has smoked marijuana in the last five years has crippled our ability to prepare for cyber-attacks. He said all the best candidates are disqualified by this policy… [Recently,] Representative Gerry Connolly of Virginia offered an amendment that would require a congressional report on how marijuana’s status as a Schedule 1 drug is affecting our nation’s security, specifically whether it disqualifies the most efficient, productive, and suitable candidates.”

Where do you stand?

I think the contempt hearing is the least of his problems after the clandestine earnings brief and profit warning on Thursday after hours, that’s a huge breach of the rules. That’s more likely to see him removed as CEO than the tweet monitoring contempt hearing in my opinion.
You think the SEC is actually paying attention to that? They let companies break THAT rule all the time. :-( Selective enforcement everywhere.

Reactions: AZRI11

I can’t imagine why an experienced general council left after just two months and coincidentally the day after those tweets, I can’t see any connections at all...... He’s his own worst enemy.

Any GC, including mine would be gone based on Elons tweets... I would recommend to the Board that his Twitter account be closed ASAP.
Brilliant mind... terrible judgement :cool:

He is a lot like Steve Jobs. Musk is a genius visionary, but a terrible manager. I have a friend who was personally fired by Steve Jobs a few times. He was working a high profile project at Apple and encountered Jobs frequently. Jobs would fire him and then wonder why he wasn't at work the next day.

It's far more efficient to try and figure out why an under performing employee is not making the mark and try and fix the problem than just hire and fire people. Sometimes employees aren't competent, but more often something else is up and if you fix that, you don't waste the time and energy you spent training them to do their job.

While I respect what Tesla is doing, I would never want to work there.

Reminds me of something George Costanza did in Seinfeld. Get fired. Then show up at work the next day and get everyone to blow it off on the chance it was a joke. If a CEO is really busy and it occurs just between CEO and person then CEO is unlikely to remember and bother telling the person or their manager.

Elon is inspiring the kids demonstrating today. #ClimateStrike. Found the sign here A million students took to the streets demanding action on climate change. Here are 18 of their best signs.

91B07B4B-D893-4C94-B8EB-CFFF3AEFA470.jpeg

If that article is accurate, then Elon Musk is a good visionary, but an extremely terrible manager. Under those conditions, even the best engineers no matter how smart would fail. Making the path for Tesla to become successful a lot harder than it could've been with a good manager.

Hard to say how accurate the article is when even the writer admits everything came from anonymous sources and from one side only. If the engineer is not super smart and super hard working as he/she claims to be the story would take an entirely different meaning. No doubt it's a tough place to work but the stake is so high Elon has the right to set the bar high.

Reactions: SO16
Hard to say how accurate the article is when even the writer admits everything came from anonymous sources and from one side only. If the engineer is not super smart and super hard working as he/she claims to be the story would take an entirely different meaning. No doubt it's a tough place to work but the stake is so high Elon has the right to set the bar high.
Yeah good point. No matter how good a working place is, there will always be someone unhappy with the management.

Sometimes it is actually a bad management, but most often it is the employee that is underperforming or not meeting up to the requirements (eg not a smart enough engineer). Usually these stories come from one side only, because employers don't talk publically about their employees.

Yeah good point. No matter how good a working place is, there will always be someone unhappy with the management.

Sometimes it is actually a bad management, but most often it is the employee that is underperforming or not meeting up to the requirements (eg not a smart enough engineer). Usually these stories come from one side only, because employers don't talk publically about their employees.

Sometimes there are under-performing employees. It's like relationships/friendships, if you have the occasional "friend" run for the hills, it's probably them. If your track record is a long trail of failed relationships (of all kinds), it's probably you. If your a manager and it seems all the employees are under-performing, maybe it's management expectations?

• Helpful
Reactions: Krugerrand
I mentioned this elsewhere, but I've lately been reading General McChrystal's take on Walt Disney in his book "Leaders: Myth & Reality"

Elon is very similar, I think, to Walt. Both were visionaries who had ideas that would make a complete paradigm shift in their chosen areas. Walt worked hard to provide and create a workplace that had the best light, the most comfortable chairs etc for working, but the wages were low, and the expectations for overtime and production rates against a need for perfection and speed were astronomically high.

He would reward the cream of the crop but actually came to a point where the lower echelons of the company all went on strike because they felt they were being maligned. Poor Walt couldn't understand how they would betray him. Did they not believe in the cause? Were they not working in jobs that hadn't even existed until he created the tech and the demand? Why didn't they understand?

Walt's brother Roy was one of the stabilising influences in the company as he desperately tried to balance the debt levels, income-streams, staff relations and public perception/media against Walt's world-changing gambles. And Walt did not really appreciate Roy's alarm about the money issues.

After the strike, Walt turned much of the Disney Studios production over to Roy (which turned it into the corporate megalith it is today) and started WED with a small team he trusted, of die-hard followers who would put in the overtime to change the world. This time an idea about a magical new theme park.

Perhaps there are some lessons to be learned here.

Status
Not open for further replies.