Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dr. Elon & Mr. Musk: Life Inside Tesla's Production Hell

He truly is mad genius. Reminds very much Steve Jobs. In good and bad.

He is a lot like Steve Jobs. Musk is a genius visionary, but a terrible manager. I have a friend who was personally fired by Steve Jobs a few times. He was working a high profile project at Apple and encountered Jobs frequently. Jobs would fire him and then wonder why he wasn't at work the next day.

It's far more efficient to try and figure out why an under performing employee is not making the mark and try and fix the problem than just hire and fire people. Sometimes employees aren't competent, but more often something else is up and if you fix that, you don't waste the time and energy you spent training them to do their job.

While I respect what Tesla is doing, I would never want to work there.

He is a lot like Steve Jobs. Musk is a genius visionary, but a terrible manager. I have a friend who was personally fired by Steve Jobs a few times. He was working a high profile project at Apple and encountered Jobs frequently. Jobs would fire him and then wonder why he wasn't at work the next day.

It's far more efficient to try and figure out why an under performing employee is not making the mark and try and fix the problem than just hire and fire people. Sometimes employees aren't competent, but more often something else is up and if you fix that, you don't waste the time and energy you spent training them to do their job.

While I respect what Tesla is doing, I would never want to work there.
Dear WDolson - you keep rolling out bits of life in such a gentle and wise way that you must have been a great fellow to be around during working hours. I have had good bosses and bad ones. When I was running my own outfit, I worked for a real jerk that I often times lost arguments and temper with. I wish I would have had someone like you to bounce ideas off at times like those.

If that article is accurate, then Elon Musk is a good visionary, but an extremely terrible manager. Under those conditions, even the best engineers no matter how smart would fail. Making the path for Tesla to become successful a lot harder than it could've been with a good manager.

Reactions: mos6507
Dear WDolson - you keep rolling out bits of life in such a gentle and wise way that you must have been a great fellow to be around during working hours. I have had good bosses and bad ones. When I was running my own outfit, I worked for a real jerk that I often times lost arguments and temper with. I wish I would have had someone like you to bounce ideas off at times like those.

Thanks :) I try, but I haven't always been the best employee. In my first gig out of college I was not very diplomatic in voicing my opinions and it didn't go over very well. Especially since it was a very entrenched company (Boeing).

I've had in interest in Psychology since I was a teenager and often watch how organizations work. I think I've honed a few skills at dealing with people, but I'm terrible compared to my SO. A few months ago my sister and I were trying to come up with how to deal with something my elderly father was het up about (we had to put him in assisted living in 2017, he'll be 99 in a few weeks) and my SO cut right to the core of the problem in seconds proposing a solution that worked perfectly, completely calmed down the situation, and got my sister out of having to be the "bad guy" with my father.

My SO has both a masters in Psych and is a lawyer. She does domestic violence perpetrator and anger management counseling and gets great results. In doing it over 10 years she's only had one graduate re-offend.

Elon suffers from high IQ and low EQ... and sounds worse than Steve ever was :cool:

Employees knew about such rampages. Sometimes Musk would terminate people; other times he would simply intimidate them. One manager had a name for these outbursts—Elon’s rage firings—and had forbidden subordinates from walking too close to Musk’s desk at the Gigafactory out of concern that a chance encounter, an unexpected question answered incorrectly, might endanger a career.

After Musk had patrolled the factory floor for a while, executives pulled him into a conference room. “I think we can fix this,” one of his top lieutenants, Jon McNeill, told him, according to someone who heard the conversation. McNeill tried to calm Musk down, and repeated a proverb he had once heard: No man comes up with a good idea when being chased by a tiger. At that moment, Musk was the tiger.
(A spokesperson for McNeill said he did not want to participate in this story.)

Reactions: mos6507 and wdolson
This is a pretty well-thought-out piece of incredible artwork showcasing Tesla CEO Elon Musk.

About a month ago, Shawn Wylde (American AF) reached out to us to share his artwork. He let us know that he was working on something related to Tesla CEO Elon Musk. To be honest, while we were incredibly impressed, we didn’t know if it would be a good fit for InsideEVs. If you check out his Twitter page and online store

As it turns out, Wylde has quite the backstory. It fascinated us, and we’re glad to be able to share it, along with Shawn’s work. We’ve included his brief bio below in addition to multiple links sharing his story and background related to the art:
Renowned Artist Celebrates Tesla's Elon Musk In Epic Illustration: Video

It's going to be a long 2 years until November 2020 arrives ... :cool:

upload_2019-2-18_19-49-52.png

Reactions: sillydriver
Just breaking now:

SEC asks judge to hold Tesla’s Elon Musk in contempt, saying he violated agreement on social media posts

The Securities and Exchange Commission cited a recent “inaccurate” tweet by Musk as evidence that he broke a deal that demanded his social media be reviewed.

Last year, Tesla and Musk each agreed to pay $20 million for his inaccurate tweet that he had secured the funding to take the electric car company private. Musk lost his role as chairman of the board, but the settlement avoided harsher punishment that could have included his removal as chief executive.
This is a developing story. It will be updated.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...al_news__alert-economy--alert-national&wpmk=1

• Informative
Reactions: ohmman

This is what got him in trouble with the SEC... :cool:

Musk has publicly disparaged the settlement. In an an interview with CBS' "60 Minutes" in December, Musk said he didn't "respect" the SEC. He also claimed no one at the company was proofreading all his posts.
"The only tweets that would have to be ... reviewed would be if a tweet had a probability of causing a movement in the stock," he said. "Otherwise, it's — hello, First Amendment."

When asked how he could avoid moving markets if the company isn't reviewing all of his tweets, Musk said, "I guess we might make some mistakes. Who knows?" He added, "Nobody's perfect." In its court filing Monday, the SEC pointed to the "60 Minutes" interview as evidence that Musk is "not serious" about the settlement agreement.

upload_2019-2-25_18-28-27.png

When he says they made 0 cars in 2011, what about all the Roadsters they sold that year?
2011 Tesla Roadster Review, Ratings, Specs, Prices, and Photos
Or is he now thinking that Lotus "made" them?
Back in the 1st gen Roadster era, Tesla tried hard to say that they were Tesla created cars, not just a Lotus with Tesla battery & motor.

He also often said, that the Roadster and the Lotus has very few parts in common. But I guess he means producing the whole car, or something like that.

What is a bit strange, is to first say they will produce 500k and then mean annualized production in December. Why not say we produced 1k (or something like that, he sure has the numbers) in 2011 and will produce 350-400k this year. Still sounds impressive to me.

This is what got him in trouble with the SEC... :cool:

Musk has publicly disparaged the settlement. In an an interview with CBS' "60 Minutes" in December, Musk said he didn't "respect" the SEC. He also claimed no one at the company was proofreading all his posts.
"The only tweets that would have to be ... reviewed would be if a tweet had a probability of causing a movement in the stock," he said. "Otherwise, it's — hello, First Amendment."

When asked how he could avoid moving markets if the company isn't reviewing all of his tweets, Musk said, "I guess we might make some mistakes. Who knows?" He added, "Nobody's perfect." In its court filing Monday, the SEC pointed to the "60 Minutes" interview as evidence that Musk is "not serious" about the settlement agreement.

View attachment 380594

Yea, it wasn’t a really smart move, saying that in an interview. I mean, he can just ignore the settlement if he wants to, it’s not like it’s easy to find out if he does. Unless you brag about it openly. Just swallow your pride Elon...

He has until March 11 to explain himself. I fully expect him to be held in civil contempt and fined. This is black letter law. Spare me your crocodile tears for spoiled billionaires that agree to terms to which they cannot hold themselves. He made his bed. Time to sleep. Its just couch change for him.

No way he's ousted as an officer or banned from holding corporate office in other companies -- it wasn't deliberate and it occurred in non-trading hours but its still a violation nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.