Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And inaccurate

Skips the part where Elon was replying to someone else. If you look up the tweet, he was replying to yoda, who deleted their post.

It was a Thai diver that died in the rescue. And Thai divers helped bring the kids out.
Tham Luang cave rescue - Wikipedia

???
I quoted the parts I found inaccurate and explained why in my post.

Aw, that's the part I found confusing - I found your post full of misinformation. Perhaps I misinterpreted the numerous reports which said four British divers (who all received medals from the Queen) were the ones who brought the boys out? You seem to be saying it was a Thai only operation.

Mr. Unsworth's role, after the Thai authorities rebuffed his first attempt to help, was to provide some local expertise becasue of his familiarity with that particular cave. He also recommended 3 of the divers who did the actual rescue inside the cave. He received an MBE so apparently the Crown thinks him a hero.

Aw, that's the part I found confusing - I found your post full of misinformation. Perhaps I misinterpreted the numerous reports which said four British divers (who all received medals from the Queen) were the ones who brought the boys out? You seem to be saying it was a Thai only operation.

Mr. Unsworth's role, after the Thai authorities rebuffed his first attempt to help, was to provide some local expertise becasue of his familiarity with that particular cave. He also recommended 3 of the divers who did the actual rescue inside the cave. He received an MBE so apparently the Crown thinks him a hero.

Yeah, the multiple quotes from different sources made for a confusing post

Article:
The matter seemed to have been resolved following the apology - until the Tesla CEO reversed himself and revived the claim in a Twitter tirade last week.

More of the story:
Skips the part where Elon was replying to someone else. If you look up the tweet, he was replying to yoda, who deleted their post.

Article:
Mr Unsworth was hailed as a 'magician' after he, after two other British divers Rick Stanton and John Volanthe, managed to get the boys out of the cave when Thai authorities failed.

More of the story: Implies it was only British divers involved and skips all the Thai support efforts:

It was a Thai diver that died in the rescue. And Thai divers helped bring the kids out.

Tham Luang cave rescue - Wikipedia
For the first part of the extraction, eighteen rescue divers consisting of thirteen international cave divers and five Thai Navy SEALs were sent into the caves to retrieve the boys, with one diver to accompany each boy on the dive out

Thanks, @mongo, post #3184 is more clear.

It's not like I'm a fan of Unsworth, I just feel like some in this thread were quick to side with Elon whilst ignoring the backstory/facts. He def tweeted away some money needlessly on this one. Which of course he can afford with ease, but it lends credence to the "Musk is his own worst enemy" and gives ammo to shorts who label him unstable. Suffice to say it wasn't his finest hour, hopefully puts this fully behind him with a settlement soon. No reason to ever let this get near a courtroom and keep the story alive.

More relevant here is why you are defending Musk. What he said was reprehensible and clearly very, very wrong. Yet you are willing to nit-pick over trivia just to try to excuse his behaviour.

I have said in every post that I am not defending Musk. Musk was way out of line and should not escalated the slanging match. He should have let it go when told to put his sub where the sun doesn’t shine.

I admit I have not followed this very closely and I was pretty disappointed when Elon made his "pedo" post, but I had not seen this quote. Do you have a source? If true it paints a bit of a different light on things.

Dan

Slight correction, the comment about child brides was in an email to Buzzfeed. The "pedo" comment was on Twitter before he deleted it.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ryanmac/elon-musk-thai-cave-rescuer-accusations-buzzfeed-email

g7eqqe2.png

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
A lot. He isn’t a diver. He didn’t help rescue the boys. He’s being portrayed as a hero. He is not. His involvement was minimal.

It seems British officials disagree with you on the hero part given Vernon Unsworth received an MBE from Prince William for his role in the rescue.

British diver who helped rescued Thai football team honoured with MBE

His award was second-highest of the three given. The highest awards going to the main divers what did the most daring bits which of course nobody is claiming this old retired guy performed, whom I agree was a caver first. Still he was in the group of second highest awards, that’s something as I’d expect the officials to vet these kinds of things...

• Informative
Reactions: 1 person
It seems British officials disagree with you on the hero part given Vernon Unsworth received an MBE from Prince William for his role in the rescue.

British diver who helped rescued Thai football team honoured with MBE

His award was second-highest of the three given. The highest awards going to the main divers what did the most daring bits which of course nobody is claiming this old retired guy performed, whom I agree was a caver first. Still he was in the group of second highest awards, that’s something as I’d expect the officials to vet these kinds of things...

:rolleyes:

The guy happened to guess correctly. I’m glad he did...but it still was just a guess by putting his finger on a map. If he had been wrong, he wouldn’t even have received a fridge magnet. However the others who did put their own lives on the line are the true heroes and would have been recognized no matter what the outcome.

https://electrek.co/2019/07/18/elon-musk-tesla-vehicles/

upload_2019-7-18_19-58-28.png

The CEO previously said that even he doesn’t get preferential treatment when it comes to buying Tesla vehicles. He often buys some of the very first production units of new models, but he also likes to have the latest highest-performance versions. During an interview on the Joe Rogan experience earlier this year, Musk said that he was driving the Model S P100D, which was Tesla’s highest-performance car at the time.

Now the CEO seems to have upgraded to the new Model S with the Raven motor and suspension upgrade. He added that he also sometimes drives the Model 3 Performance and a Model X. For the Model S, Musk says that it is equipped with a development version of the Full Self-Driving computer that Tesla released earlier this year. Last year, it was revealed that Musk was testing a cutting-edge version of Autopilot in his own Model S and regularly giving feedback to the Autopilot team.

Status
Not open for further replies.