Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried to lay out my reasons for caring about the human race in my post above. Those were coming from someone without any supernatural/religious faith. As someone who subscribes to a religious worldview, I'd be interested to hear more about why you think going multi-planetary makes sense.
While I believe that this universe is not our final home and am therefore not worried about the eventual disappearance of consciousness from this universe, there exists the clear principle that we should "seek the welfare" (words from Jeremiah 29:7) of humanity for as long as we are here. We shouldn't need the Bible or any other book to remind us of that, of course, as it's really common sense that we should be concerned for the wellbeing of our progeny, and our fellow humans in general, if we have any love at all for others.

While Earth is amazingly rich in resources, it is finite. Expanding into the Solar System (and perhaps beyond) will allow us to tap many more resources and broaden our experience. The human spirit seems designed to continually push boundaries, explore, and grow.

That being said, I'm not sure if it will be a good thing to raise children in low-gravity planetary environments such as the Moon and Mars, as it's quite possible that those children may not be able to tolerate 1g as adults and thus be unable to move to Earth if they desire. Artificial worlds, of course, will be able to rotate in order to simulate 1g.

I'll admit that, with advanced brain-machine interfaces, AI, and constant stimulation, I'm a little worried that no one will be interested in going anywhere. Maybe everyone will just stay in life-support cocoons and explore virtually. In any case, I'm hopeful that people will still ask deep questions about their existence and seek to know their Creator.

Musk says 'pedo guy' tweet was not accusation

Musk claims his "pedo guy" comment was not an accusation.

In court documents, lawyers for Mr Musk argued that in South Africa, where he grew up, "pedo" is commonly used to refer to a "creepy old man".

Well, I do not pretend to know what it takes for a successful action for defamation in that jurisdiction, yet if I were him and all my (presumably very expensive) legal team had to offer as a defence were

a) i didn't mean to say what everyone understood it to mean 'cos I'm an ignorant little immigrant from out there in the sticks, where this term supposedly means something different (haha)

and

b) I spent 50 grand to have the dirt dug up, got nada, yet repeated my defamatory claims all the same,

then I would start to get slightly worried, ever so slightly.

BTW, I suppose that late-Apartheid South Africa also had some very unkind terms for black people in wide circulation - would he even dare to use that as an argument to use any of these terms today?

Musk spent $50,000 digging into critic’s personal life

$50,000 digging up dirt on the guy, trying to substantiate his "pedo" claim. Rather undermines his claim that it wasn't an accusation.
Somebody, who at that time seemed legitimate, contacted Musk and said that he believed Vernon was a literal pedo, not just a creepy old guy. Musk being a father caring about children asked Buzz to be journalists and see if there was any merit to this claim. Buzz being assholes decided to make a story out of Elon’s request instead. Elon decided to fund the investigation himself.

Elon’s story makes sense to me. It’s far fetched, but plausible.

Elon’s story makes sense to me. It’s far fetched, but plausible.

In most cases, the simplest of explanations is the correct one.

In this case, Elon just made a series of mistakes. First by starting the rant on Twitter, second by doubling down on his accusations after the apology (even offline, wasn't smart at all) only because his ego took a hit. (Elon does not like to look bad on social media, just like the rest of us)

I admire Elon a lot and think he is capable of 4D chess in many fields, but this pedo-thing was just human error. Let's forget about it. I hope Elon does too.

In most cases, the simplest of explanations is the correct one.

In this case, Elon just made a series of mistakes. First by starting the rant on Twitter, second by doubling down on his accusations after the apology (even offline, wasn't smart at all) only because his ego took a hit. (Elon does not like to look bad on social media, just like the rest of us)

I admire Elon a lot and think he is capable of 4D chess in many fields, but this pedo-thing was just human error. Let's forget about it. I hope Elon does too.

I think Elon has moved on, apology and all.

However, what rant did he start?
'pedo' was a response to 'stick your sub where it hurts'
'signed dollar' was a response to a tweet
the buzz feed was an off the record response to an email

You could say he should not have let himself be baited, but that is a different thing.

Reactions: abasile
I think Elon has moved on, apology and all.

However, what rant did he start?
'pedo' was a response to 'stick your sub where it hurts'
'signed dollar' was a response to a tweet
the buzz feed was an off the record response to an email

"Stick your sub where it hurts" is an insult. Like "Your mother wears army boots."

Calling someone trying to rescue children a pedophile could be defamation.

Elon may have moved on, but the Plaintiff spelunker has not.

Reactions: 1 person
Btw, do you guys realize that there is a strong likelihood that Elon was abused as a boy by his father? AFAIK, no one has stated this, so do NOT take this as gospel. It’s just plausible given the statements that have been made about his childhood.

Btw, do you guys realize that there is a strong likelihood that Elon was abused as a boy by his father? AFAIK, no one has stated this, so do NOT take this as gospel. It’s just plausible given the statements that have been made about his childhood.

There are many types of abuse. Elon has talked about the verbal abuse and I believe there was physical abuse. Sexual abuse is possible. Victims sometimes never say anything.

Everyone weighing in on this suit, especially those who were not around watching closely in real-time as it all unfolded, should read this piece.

Musk is 'more guilty' than Unsworth IMO, but Unsworth threw the first punch out of ignorant malice. He is certainly also a dick within the context of all this.

https://www.quora.com/What-should-people-know-about-Vern-Unsworth-s-lawsuit-against-Elon-Musk

It doesn't change my original thoughts on the matter, but it certainly paints a far clearer picture than virtually all articles written about the Musk/Unsworth fiasco. And that clearer picture reveals that all involved, from Musk, to Unsworth, to Ryan Mac, to CNN, come out poorly.

Everyone weighing in on this suit, especially those who were not around watching closely in real-time as it all unfolded, should read this piece.

Musk is 'more guilty' than Unsworth IMO, but Unsworth threw the first punch out of ignorant malice. He is certainly also a dick within the context of all this.

https://www.quora.com/What-should-people-know-about-Vern-Unsworth-s-lawsuit-against-Elon-Musk

It doesn't change my original thoughts on the matter, but it certainly paints a far clearer picture than virtually all articles written about the Musk/Unsworth fiasco. And that clearer picture reveals that all involved, from Musk, to Unsworth, to Ryan Mac, to CNN, come out poorly.

I agree 100%. Anyone commenting on this topic absolutely needs to read that quora article. Wow, just wow.

• Helpful
Reactions: abasile
Musk spent $50,000 digging into critic’s personal life

$50,000 digging up dirt on the guy, trying to substantiate his "pedo" claim. Rather undermines his claim that it wasn't an accusation.

What I find absolutely bonkers is what little truthful information Elon got for his $50K.

You'd think with that kind of dough he'd at least get a "Hey, I tried to substantiate your claims. But, I couldn't find anything". Not finding anything would have been helpful in knowing when to retreat.

It was one of many events that seriously eroded Elon's credibility in circles outside TMC.

Reactions: Petrocelli
What I find absolutely bonkers is what little truthful information Elon got for his $50K.

You'd think with that kind of dough he'd at least get a "Hey, I tried to substantiate your claims. But, I couldn't find anything". Not finding anything would have been helpful in knowing when to retreat.

It was one of many events that seriously eroded Elon's credibility in circles outside TMC.

The irony is that he thought he was enhancing his reputation, instead he trashed it. Been there. Done that. In many situations, it is much better to just walk away from accusations, and let the reputation of the accuser, and your historical reputation, and your actions, all speak for you.

Reactions: ohmman and abasile
Status
Not open for further replies.