Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. Crimea is also not really near front lines at all.

Also “only if Crimea remained Russian, if Ukraine accepted a form of permanent neutrality, and Ukraine recognised Russia’s annexation of Luhansk, Donetsk, Kherson and Zaporizhzhia” . LOL

That’s Putins wish list… he gets everything and Ukraine ends up as a rump state with limited sea access, pretty much landlocked and losing 30% of its territory and no EU or NATO ever and pretty defenseless … shocker that this is a non starter for Ukraine

What Elon is doing here is trying to play Nevil Chamberlain. The famous "peace in our time" line came about when Chamberlain worked out a deal to give part of Czechoslovakia to Germany and leave the rest to the Czechs. Germany promised they would not make any more attempts to take more territory. As probably everyone knows, that didn't work.

They say history doesn't repeat, but it rhymes. This is one hell of a rhyme.

Where do you reside and who do you interact with where this would even be an issue materially. 🧐
The United States. People that aren't Russian or Chinese.

It's especially bad at superchargers with people who don't drive Teslas.

First it's questions about how superchargers work because for some reason when I'm at a supercharger station I get drafted to be the company's ambassador.

Then it's followed with, "hey that Elon guy is saying some pretty crazy stuff on twitter." To which my best response is, "what's a twitter?"

• Informative
Reactions: ElectricIAC
What Elon is doing here is trying to play Nevil Chamberlain. The famous "peace in our time" line came about when Chamberlain worked out a deal to give part of Czechoslovakia to Germany and leave the rest to the Czechs. Germany promised they would not make any more attempts to take more territory. As probably everyone knows, that didn't work.

They say history doesn't repeat, but it rhymes. This is one hell of a rhyme.
It's slightly stranger than that since Chamberlain attempted peace at the beginning.

This would be like Chamberlain attempting to appease Germany right before D-Day.

First it's questions about how superchargers work because for some reason when I'm at a supercharger station I get drafted to be the company's ambassador.

Then it's followed with, "hey that Elon guy is saying some pretty crazy stuff on twitter." To which my best response is, "what's a twitter?"
It’s got to be hard to tell people at Superchargers that you drive a station wagon. I’d be tired of that, too.

I guess that’s fair.

Maybe it’s different here, but when I get roped into a conversation about how our cars work that kind of talk just doesn’t come out. 🤷‍♂️

I sometimes feel that a lot of these otherwise reasonable people harbor a deep seated sense of guilt over the not so great things we've done to other countries. And this guilt manifests itself as blaming America for things that are clearly the fault of other countries as a way to make up for the fact that we've generally paid no price for all these not so great things we've done to other countries.

Reactions: mspohr
Finding out what celebrities were like before they were successful can be fascinating – or it can just be a biography of a person when they were still ordinary. The Elon Musk Show (BBC Two) begins with the latter.

Two subsequent episodes ought to deal with the real Elon Musk, which is to say the increasingly unreal public figure, who has become a brand more recognisable than any of his companies, matching his unprecedented wealth with outlandish behaviour. Sure, this account of his early days paints him as a goofy loner, but his eccentricity only properly manifests in his prowling, Trump-like gait. There’s no harbinger of the man who will one day release a SoundCloud jam called RIP Harambe, dangerously minimise Covid, attempt to send a special submarine to rescue a football team trapped in a cave, name a child X Æ A-12 and, just in the last week, send Kanye West a supportive tweet after the rapper’s antisemitic Instagram meltdown. “Fame is not something that agrees with him,” a former colleague accurately deadpans, as a hopefully more exciting second instalment is previewed at the end of the opening hour.

Interesting insight. Thank you.
I can't imagine that the cost to support these terminals in Ukraine would be a very great burden to SpaceX considering they only have small incremental support costs (backhaul communications, etc.). The cost of the global satellite network is supported by all of the other users.
I think it's fine for SpaceX to ask for additional government support but I doubt that the cost of Ukraine is driving them to the poor house.

Interesting insight. Thank you.
I can't imagine that the cost to support these terminals in Ukraine would be a very great burden to SpaceX considering they only have small incremental support costs (backhaul communications, etc.). The cost of the global satellite network is supported by all of the other users.
I think it's fine for SpaceX to ask for additional government support but I doubt that the cost of Ukraine is driving them to the poor house.
especially when you divide the total new *monthly* costs he is quoting by Terminals delivered and get to something like $250/ month per terminal (...)

meanwhile SpaceX has *very* lucrative contracts with NASA and other government agencies

• Disagree
Reactions: Krugerrand
One possibility is maybe he intends on just blocking all Starlink service in Ukraine and he's throwing out a whole lot of different information so that he can blame it on the government when he does.

It's very weird. Elon didn't invent satellite communications and in a warzone there are better options for secure communications.
If the system works, just pay the man and be done with it.

Reactions: Lleo and MitchMitch
If the system works, just pay the man and be done with it.

That's the thing. I was sort of under the impression that the government already did at least part of that. Maybe the government just bought the equipment and SpaceX has been donating the service. But why be so public about this? Why not work it out with the government first?

That's the thing. I was sort of under the impression that the government already did at least part of that. Maybe the government just bought the equipment and SpaceX has been donating the service. But why be so public about this? Why not work it out with the government first?
Elon - like a former president - *definitely* love/loved to drag every topic out in the public social media marketplace...

Elon - like a former president - *definitely* love/loved to drag every topic out in the public social media marketplace...
He has known all along what the costs were, each step of the way, and agreed to this number of terminals all the way. Now he’s basically blackmailing for costs he knew would be incurred.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.