Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Me wearing tinfoil hat, maybe this is a 69D chess move to get the US government to block his Twitter acquisition.
Musk denies it:
Putin certainly very skilled at using useful idiots for propaganda, direct conversation or not! This all seems to be going as well as he could hope.

Seems like some wiggle room on the term “spoke directly with” in today’s world and interpretation of terms. That obviously doesn’t necessarily imply a direct conversation. And Elon only denied speaking with him of course. “Spoke” in the article context of course doesn’t necessarily mean speaking either!

So not really a denial I would say; just ruled out an actual verbal conversation between the two recently. (Use least expansive definition of “spoken” for the denial, and most expansive definition of “spoke directly with” for the article.)

Not saying he did communicate with Putin - just that we have no idea, since he has not clarified.

Last edited:

In a mailout sent to Eurasia Group subscribers, Ian Bremmer wrote that Tesla CEO Musk told him that Putin was “prepared to negotiate,” but only if Crimea remained Russian, if Ukraine accepted a form of permanent neutrality, and Ukraine recognised Russia’s annexation of Luhansk, Donetsk, Kherson and Zaporizhzhia.

Bremmer wrote that Musk said he had refused a Ukrainian request to activate Starlink in Crimea. According to UK newspaper the Financial Times, Ukrainian forces have reported connectivity issues as they continue their counteroffensive into areas previously held by Russian forces in the east and north-east of the country. Musk responded by criticising the FT’s reporting, saying that what happens on the battlefield is “classified.”

In a mailout sent to Eurasia Group subscribers, Ian Bremmer wrote that Tesla CEO Musk told him that Putin was “prepared to negotiate,” but only if Crimea remained Russian, if Ukraine accepted a form of permanent neutrality, and Ukraine recognised Russia’s annexation of Luhansk, Donetsk, Kherson and Zaporizhzhia.

Bremmer wrote that Musk said he had refused a Ukrainian request to activate Starlink in Crimea. According to UK newspaper the Financial Times, Ukrainian forces have reported connectivity issues as they continue their counteroffensive into areas previously held by Russian forces in the east and north-east of the country. Musk responded by criticising the FT’s reporting, saying that what happens on the battlefield is “classified.”

I couldn't swear to every detail, but it's certainly true that it is a story.

As far as I can tell there's two different Starlink situations going on in Ukraine.

A blackout over certain rapidly expanding counteroffensives. The explanation is that Starlink has a blackout over Russian controlled areas as a precaution in case the equipment is captured and Ukraine has reacquired territory faster than Starlink can react. Seems plausible enough.

The other situation is that Musk doesn't want Starlink to work in Crimea because he doesn't want Ukraine to retake Crimea. But to be honest I think Crimea is going to be the last territory Ukraine retakes if they retake it at all.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
The other situation is that Musk doesn't want Starlink to work in Crimea because he doesn't want Ukraine to retake Crimea. But to be honest I think Crimea is going to be the last territory Ukraine retakes if they retake it at all.
I’m more curious why anyone requested Starlink to work in Crimea, and why. Seems like an odd request right now.

I wonder what the quality of the reporting on this is (I suspect poor).

Presumably Ukrainian special forces or partisans might like it and maybe that is the source of the request, but could cut both ways in theory (though I imagine limited utility to Russian occupiers in Crimea at the moment).

Last edited:

As far as I can tell there's two different Starlink situations going on in Ukraine.

A blackout over certain rapidly expanding counteroffensives. The explanation is that Starlink has a blackout over Russian controlled areas as a precaution in case the equipment is captured and Ukraine has reacquired territory faster than Starlink can react. Seems plausible enough.

Yup. Crimea is also not really near front lines at all.

Also “only if Crimea remained Russian, if Ukraine accepted a form of permanent neutrality, and Ukraine recognised Russia’s annexation of Luhansk, Donetsk, Kherson and Zaporizhzhia” . LOL

That’s Putins wish list… he gets everything and Ukraine ends up as a rump state with limited sea access, pretty much landlocked and losing 30% of its territory and no EU or NATO ever and pretty defenseless … shocker that this is a non starter for Ukraine

Reactions: Dave EV and mspohr
Lol. Preemptively destroy Russian ability to launch nukes would mean a full on nuclear first strike all over Russia at once … I’m sure that’s the least least likely scenario and Ukraine is certainly not advocating for that as it would mean global nuclear war

Not really. You just have to show Putin (the people following his orders to be more precise) even with a nuclear strike he would lose. He can’t push the buttons himself.

I'd be more inclined to believe Bremmer here. Musk believes he can figure out a peace plan. It makes sense that he'd speak directly to Putin.
Not sure what you mean by believe - Musk has not made any claims about whether he has communicated with Putin about conflict with Ukraine.

Need to be very discerning about what has been said! He has only claimed he has not spoken to Putin about it.

• Funny
Reactions: InDaClub
These antics are really going to eventually hurt the brand and irritate customers and/or investors...

he is running several large - and VERY important - companies PLUS about to close (or being sued into closing) a $40b+ acquisition - yet meanwhile one could think he is more keen on being a pundit for a cable news evening show...

I personally have no desire to hear from *any* CEO their personal assessment of which party has radicalized how, who they voted for or intend to vote for next time, what a Ukraine peace deal should look like, what political status Taiwan should have and if a rescue diver is a "pedo" and whatnot.

Status
Not open for further replies.