Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It has worked for Trump. I doubt Elon would be doing this if he any doubts about Tesla doing really well this year with the Model 3 rollout. He knows he will be able to stomp on the negative press soon enough. He is relishing it.

Trump supporters could still maintain their support through the asinine things he said. But, I don't think the same can be said of Tesla/Elon supporters.

Most of us are in the STEM fields where we expect to be able to back up the stuff we say with facts. So when we see someone going into conspiracy theory territory then it's a bit dangerous.

We're also tend to be the people that OTHER people come to for advise on technology, cars, etc. So in some ways it's a reflection of ourselves, and our judgement. There also isn't any political ideology that goes along with identity politics.

In recent times there are things that Elon has said/done that I can't possibly explain, and it just seems to get bigger every week.

If there was a Tesla competitor right now I'd likely be bailing which is absolutely insane because my Tesla car itself would have no fault in that. It's been wonderful with a few minor exceptions. But, the leader? The decisions? The direction?

Lots of good decisions got me into the car, and it seems like a lot of bad decisions might boot me out.

I agree, and why was it even necessary?

With each week comes a new Tesla related story, and the last one is mostly forgotten about.

So why bring up old news?

I read sites like Wired, TheVerge, Arstechnica, and I haven't seen unfair journalism. Mostly what I see is the same thing being repeated over, and over by the media. Where no one has the time/energy/money to research anything so they mostly just repeat things.

It's not that they are unfair to Tesla, but that Tesla has the highest visibility and it requires the least of amount of effort to report about. Heck Elon himself writes half the story simply by reacting in the worst possible manner to things that happen.

He needs to spend the next 6-12 months focusing on rebuilding HIS credibility as it's taken a massive hit over the last few months.
Looks like "Pravda" has been in the works since Oct. 2017

Musk Filed for Pravda Business Months Before Scorning the Media

https://businesssearch.sos.ca.gov/Document/RetrievePDF?Id=04076172-23096806

If there was a Tesla competitor right now I'd likely be bailing which is absolutely insane because my Tesla car itself would have no fault in that. It's been wonderful with a few minor exceptions. But, the leader? The decisions? The direction?

Seems silly to me to abandon an admittedly good product because of the actions of its leader. I still like Annie Hall despite what I think about Woody Allen.

• Funny
Reactions: ponzu and ohmman
Tesla has gotten to where it is either entirely thanks to or despite Musk.

Pravda is "truth" in Russian, and the name of the longtime official newspaper of the Communist party. I am impressed that this does not have to be spelled out to this crowd. But just in case the joke was lost on a person or two, consider this my PSA.

Naming the truth-in-journalism business/website Pravda requires one's tongue to be so firmly implanted in one's cheek it's practically a health hazard.

Pravda is "truth" in Russian, and the name of the longtime official newspaper of the Communist party. I am impressed that this does not have to be spelled out to this crowd. But just in case the joke was lost on a person or two, consider this my PSA.

Naming the truth-in-journalism business/website Pravda requires one's tongue to be so firmly implanted in one's cheek it's practically a health hazard.

We’re mostly a bunch of old farts, so we remember Pravda’s heyday...

It's not that they are unfair to Tesla, but that Tesla has the highest visibility and it requires the least of amount of effort to report about. Heck Elon himself writes half the story simply by reacting in the worst possible manner to things that happen.

This not only seems unfair but un true

Electric cars are no solution to climate change, but having buyers believe they are, and having investors believe that government, media and green groups will treat them as if they are, is a key prop under Tesla’s stock.

Sorry only have the Apple new link at the moment.

Opinion: The Last Temptation of Elon Musk - The Wall Street Journal Opinion: The Last Temptation of Elon Musk — The Wall Street Journal

Electric cars are no solution to climate change, but having buyers believe they are, and having investors believe that government, media and green groups will treat them as if they are, is a key prop under Tesla’s stock.

Opinion: The Last Temptation of Elon Musk - The Wall Street Journal Opinion: The Last Temptation of Elon Musk — The Wall Street Journal

WSJ is a hack when it comes to Tesla and have been writing negative stories about Tesla for a long time

Reactions: gillfoto

Unfortunately that's probably true, since it certainly seems to me that we're circling the drain, and I feel sorry for future generations who will have to deal with the mess we created. I'm also not so naive to think my family having three EVs makes any difference with regard to climate change even though I am driving on over 95% renewables rather than oil. But I look at it like this: All we have is our legacy and if your legacy is WSJ bias against EVs, and you tell people who at least try to make an effort that they are misguided, then when future generations look back at you, they will conclude that you helped push the flush along -- while some of us at least tried to buck the tide, and paddled in the opposite direction, even if it was done in futility. I'd rather go down fighting and trying to do what's right, than just crapping on people who are at least attempting solutions.

I listed the publication I read, and the WSJ wasn't among them for good reason. :p

Seems silly to me to abandon an admittedly good product because of the actions of its leader. I still like Annie Hall despite what I think about Woody Allen.

I'm not sure how comparing artwork to a depreciating asset is a fair comparison.

Would you still maintain stock in a Woody Allen company?

Does he still have relevancy?

These are the questions you'd be asking yourself.

If I owned a lot of stock in Tesla I would seriously consider trying to isolate some aspects of the company from Elon musk. Where I tried to bring in a very respected individual in the automotive industry to try to handle situations that Elon has proven to be completely incapable of handling.

Pravda is also "justice" in Serbian-Croatian language. The land of Nikola Tesla. Anyhow he will do something about fake news again for better world.

I'm not sure how comparing artwork to a depreciating asset is a fair comparison. Would you still maintain stock in a Woody Allen company? Does he still have relevancy?These are the questions you'd be asking yourself. If I owned a lot of stock in Tesla I would seriously consider trying to isolate some aspects of the company from Elon musk. Where I tried to bring in a very respected individual in the automotive industry to try to handle situations that Elon has proven to be completely incapable of handling.

When it comes to stocks, I try to buy ethically. Then again, I have APPL and Apple having to have suicide nets at Foxconn doesn't make Apple seem ethical. Steve Jobs himself was also known to be ruthless and controlling to the extent that he alienated some of Apple’s most talented employees. So should we have stayed away from Apple products and their stock too?

Humans are flawed -- our existence itself is really quite bizarre -- and corporations are run by humans. All will be flawed in one way or another.

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Pravda is also "justice" in Serbian-Croatian language. The land of Nikola Tesla.

Okay, but with Musk it's clearly a play on the Russia meaning.

Reactions: gillfoto
Pravda is also "justice" in Serbian-Croatian language. The land of Nikola Tesla. Anyhow he will do something about fake news again for better world.

The problem Tesla has isn't really fake news.

It's the obsession news sites have with everything surrounding Tesla.

In a lot of ways it's a double edge sword because on the one hand it afforded Tesla massive success in being able to get hundreds of thousands of people to put a $1K of their hard earned money on a car sight unseen that was a long ways away from being delivered. Which is really unheard of at such a scale.

Of course this magnifying effect is also true of negative things. Any negative gets blown out of proportions. The recent issue regarding the Model 3 brakes is a perfect example. In most cases there would be a small blurb about a problem spotted in a specific make/model of a vehicle regarding inconsistent braking distance. Where you might hear about it if you're really into automotive news.

But, EVERYONE heard about it because it involved a Tesla.

In this particular case it was right up Elon's alley to handle the situation, and to put out the flames. I think he did a fine job of it. Where he took responsibility for it, and promised to fix it.

What he hasn't handled right is the Autopilot accidents.

I have NO QUESTION that these are being disproportionally reported that makes Autopilot look bad.

This is a bad thing to Tesla itself, but it's actually a good thing when it comes to automotive safety.

The problem is a lot of people have ADAS (driver aids) systems in their cars, but they don't really know how they work. This is especially true of adaptive cruise control. So what happens is people get overly confidence in them, and they trust them without knowing the limitations of them.

The correct way of handling the situation would be to find data to show that the Tesla system wasn't all that different. To use it as a way of educating not just Tesla owners, but owners of other systems who might not understand how those work.

But, instead Elon decided to attack the customer. That they didn't have their hands at the steering wheel. That was horribly bad tactic because owners like myself know the system doesn't always know if I am or if I'm not. It also doesn't make a lick of a difference as I can hold the steering wheel while texting. It's doesn't require any engagement in the driving task at all. So what was the point of revealing the time span that the system didn't detect the hands? Most people would likely assume the driver wasn't paying attention so there is no need to double down on it.

Elon has lost a massive amount of credibility over the last 6 months if not longer.

The failure to delivery anything on the FSD front. This is a package they've been selling for over a year with nothing to show. At this point most assume it's vaporware.

Lots of people feel that Elon did a bait and switch in regards to the $35K Model 3.

On TMC we're isolated from a lot of the negativity, but on sites like Arstechnica, Jalopnik, etc it's pretty much a blood bath in the comments sections.

What's fun is to post something identical on both an Arstechnica article, and a TMC thread about the same thing. To see how many likes, and dislikes it will get.

On this site I have 3 disagrees on my comment about Elon needing to rebuild his credibility. Where I've seen it take a massive hit in recent months in how people perceive him. The person above me also got 3 disagrees even though he (I'm assuming a bad horse is a male horse) did a great job of explaining why Elon came off looking unhinged to a lot of people.

Coincidently the three disagrees were from the same people so I think they were voting with their identity, and not on what was actually written.

A couple weeks ago I posted roughly the same thing as Elon has been really been unhinged for a couple months now. But, I posted in on an Arstechnica article. That got a lot of likes and very little disagrees.

Kinda feels like high school all over again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.