Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
as expected in California, as expected still with twisted "trues". But at least he is not a "rescue diver hero" anymore. Already progress. The best part will be interviewing of Thailand representatives and showing them numerous interviews he did during rescue. It is gonna be fun.
p.s. of course now it would be a good moment for BBC, CNN and all other major news-lets to find out how did they miss this "he is not a diver" part. This in itself is a bombshell.

Still Musk will have to present some evidence about "pedo" part.

Last edited:
Musk at the first threat of being sued apologized and removed his original tweet. So that's the proof, that he knew, that the diver wasn't a pedo, otherwise he would present some evidence, which he didn't.
Diver's attorney doesn't have to prove anything beyond that, because by the time Musk again accused him of being a pedo, he already knew, he wasn't, because he already apologized and removed his original tweet.

His first tweet was a mistake, for which he apologized, but everything after that was intentional.

Musk at the first threat of being sued apologized and removed his original tweet. So that's the proof, that he knew, that the diver wasn't a pedo, otherwise he would present some evidence, which he didn't.
Diver's attorney doesn't have to prove anything beyond that, because by the time Musk again accused him of being a pedo, he already knew, he wasn't, because he already apologized and removed his original tweet.

His first tweet was a mistake, for which he apologized, but everything after that was intentional.
Not a diver. Tired of seeing all the headlines proclaiming he's a "hero rescue diver" and people repeating this.

This is what you guys have to talk about the man who is actively announcing a program to inhabit Mars and beyond, including their first investor/passenger? Get a life.

-Randy

The discussion that was taking place early today was because the lawsuit was just announced so that's what was on peoples minds. Most of the discussion seemed to center around whether Unsworth will win the lawsuit or not.

The thing on my mind now is excitement about the moon mission.

I'm not sure where you're thinking was by posting that. Was it designed to purposely make those of us like myself who have been critical of Musk feel bad?

I fail to see why we can't hold people we admire accountable for things they obviously screwed up? Do we really want to live in a world where we hero worship to a point where we turn our hero's into a-holes?

No thanks.

As I understand it, for any kind of defamation lawsuit to fly in the US, you also have to prove some kind of damages like your wife left you, you lost a job, or something like that. You can't just make the case somebody said something negative about you.

I'm not sure Vem has had been harmed in any way, other than possibly emotionally.

In any case I think it would be best for Elon to settle this and make a public apology. Eat some crow and move on. Even if he wins in court, it will probably cost him more in legal fees and time than throwing Vem a bone and doing a mea culpa.

I guess Elon would still be on the hook even if the diver can't prove damages because it's defamation pro se which is accusing someone of a loathsome disease or of committing a crime. (Checked with my SO after writing the above.)
Do you suppose, just maybe, that Musk had a team at the flooded cave who heard something. Why would Musk make an accusation against someone he had not met? What would be his information stream? Could his team have heard something and reported it up the Tesla chain....and the rest of the world is as yet oblivious to the cave talk. Could Musk be holding a trump card and is just waiting on the diver to ask for an audience that will let Musk spring the trap?

Do you suppose, just maybe, that Musk had a team at the flooded cave who heard something. Why would Musk make an accusation against someone he had not met? What would be his information stream? Could his team have heard something and reported it up the Tesla chain....and the rest of the world is as yet oblivious to the cave talk. Could Musk be holding a trump card and is just waiting on the diver to ask for an audience that will let Musk spring the trap?

But, why the need to bend over backwards to try to find a way out for Elon?

According to Elon himself he lashed out in anger. To me that's the easiest explanation of the initial tweet.

I've done the same thing in my life where I feel attacked, and then I go for the kill shot. Obviously calling someone by a stereotype that could be true is the ultimate kill shot.

It's hardly surprising for an older male who is an expat living in Thailand to be called a Pedo.

Now I still find it repulsive that Elon called him that. That's simply not something you do especially when you have a incredible amount of power where your followers will attack someone or try to dig up dirt on them.

Elon needs to recognize that with his power comes responsibility.

He failed to recognize that with the Pedo tweet, and the "funding is secured" tweet.

In both cases fans are trying to insist he had what was required to back up those statement, but so far nothing has been proven out. It looks like in both cases that he announced something without having the necessary evidence to back it up.

What is really beyond my comprehension is why he doubled down on attacking him with the email to buzzfeed. What he claimed in the email was never proven out so why send it? Why make a game out of it when it's damaging everyone involved?

It seems like Elon wants to continue to say it not because it's true, but by saying it creates an impression that it's true. An example of this I heard that Trump decided to be a Republican because he claimed Republicans are stupid, and gullible. In fact checking it I realized it was a fabrication, and Trump didn't say that. But, it still did damage because sometimes when I think about it I only remember the initial part.

We know Elon is highly intelligent, and highly obsessive.

One problem with obsessive people is they have a hard time letting things go. Elon talks about the importance of having fun, but it's like he can't let himself have fun.

He's completely buried in proving one thing or another thing.

He's allowing emotions to dictate decisions over logic. Sure there are people who really respond to emotion, and that's a huge asset. But, lately it's out of control and it's a liability.

As I understand it, for any kind of defamation lawsuit to fly in the US, you also have to prove some kind of damages like your wife left you, you lost a job, or something like that.

Vern's wife wanted to leave him, but in Thailand, you can't get a driver's license until you reach the age of 15.

Not on this thread often so apologies if this has already been posted;

Found this amusing and possibly accurate ;)

Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 8.53.59 PM.png

But, why the need to bend over backwards to try to find a way out for Elon?

According to Elon himself he lashed out in anger. To me that's the easiest explanation of the initial tweet.
According to Musk he was persuaded by the board to make excuses.
Because the nonsense of the type of "forcefully getting involved into rescue operation" "being thrown out of the cave" "calling hero diver a pedo" still fills all MM, he reversed his stand and call it open.
He is looking for a trial and I don't see any settlement agreement anywhere on the horizon.
There will be no repetition of the Norway nonsense, I don't see Tesla settling with anything on "usual terms" ever. They make many mistakes but at least they try not to repeat them. Just like Apple had at some stage Tesla has also to prove they are no easy pray for legal trolls.
Now I still find it repulsive that Elon called him that. That's simply not something you do especially when you have a incredible amount of power where your followers will attack someone or try to dig up dirt on them.

Elon needs to recognize that with his power comes responsibility.
tell this to all those pop-stars with much bigger following than Musk. Musk is not an elected figure.

He failed to recognize that with the Pedo tweet, and the "funding is secured" tweet.

In both cases fans are trying to insist he had what was required to back up those statement, but so far nothing has been proven out. It looks like in both cases that he announced something without having the necessary evidence to back it up.
It looks like there are no conclusions can be drown about both cases.
His "going private" tweet is investigated by SEC, if there is anything worth of saying you will read it in 10Q and most probably 10k too.
His "pedo" tweet and generally the situation around will be uncovered on this CA trial.
I really do hope Musk team won't jump into 20y old events from the start but dig through all expat's claims about his involvements in kids' rescue.
What is really beyond my comprehension is why he doubled down on attacking him with the email to buzzfeed. What he claimed in the email was never proven out so why send it? Why make a game out of it when it's damaging everyone involved?
to have a trial. this buzzfeed sheep just dug a big hole for his bigger buddies at BBC, CNN etc. because it will be found out that instead of spending time trying to get info from thai rescuers with their famous "ingrish" they just camped comfortably and partied with espats sucking "info" from "the glass".
It seems like Elon wants to continue to say it not because it's true, but by saying it creates an impression that it's true. An example of this I heard that Trump decided to be a Republican because he claimed Republicans are stupid, and gullible. In fact checking it I realized it was a fabrication, and Trump didn't say that. But, it still did damage because sometimes when I think about it I only remember the initial part.
It seems that we can just wait and find out if there was some basis in his words. No need to speculate.
We know Elon is highly intelligent, and highly obsessive.
Obsessive with what? His Mars adventure became adventure only when it became feasible. When they got team of engineers capable to forge Raptor. It's 2016.

He can be obsessive with something for very short time only and does need other subjects to keep his drive alive.
His motley crew of companies is a necessity.
Dude surfs the Flow already for 20 years. If it's not an achievement what is?
One problem with obsessive people is they have a hard time letting things go. Elon talks about the importance of having fun, but it's like he can't let himself have fun.

He's completely buried in proving one thing or another thing.

He's allowing emotions to dictate decisions over logic. Sure there are people who really respond to emotion, and that's a huge asset. But, lately it's out of control and it's a liability.
His impulses are driven by logic, very intuitive non-linear but still "banal" logic.
He makes no decisions ever and everything he does is a subject to change and morphing.

It's impossible not to notice that all his conflicting actions are the result to blackmailing, or injustice.
It's funny how all smart people who met him say "don't bet against Elon" and still so many think they can.

Reactions: Vitold
Status
Not open for further replies.