Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Other Moderator Note: I hope, at the minimum, members can be understanding that it's challenging for moderators to adapt to this new paradigm. While we've historically added forums for Elon's other companies (SpaceX, Boring Company, etc.), those were always more technical discussions and significantly less related to politics. This site has always had a ban on political discussions, and any discussion of Twitter seems to rapidly gravitate there, which is problematic not only from a moderation standpoint but from a membership cohesion standpoint.

As a moderator and user of this site, I also understand that it's currently hard to separate Elon Musk's actions from Tesla the company. Historically, members here treated them as almost one and the same. So discussing his public persona and advertised opinions is definitely related to the company, and people who have followed Tesla for years are going to want to express their opinions. The problem with opinions revolving around outrage (warranted or not) is that it provides short term fulfillment and brings members back to re-engage, and re-engage again. Great for driving site views, bad for building member cohesion. Perhaps this is what @Right_Said_Fred meant when he said this place is not Twitter, nor do we want it to be. But I don't want to speak for him.

We are currently discussing site policies about Twitter, how to moderate, and what to allow, and engaging the site admins and owners to determine what best serves the site and most importantly, the membership. It's probably going to be a little bumpy and uneven for now, but I wanted to write this to just ask some courtesy from the members towards the moderation staff, who are truly trying to find the right solution for all of us.

Heck, I was mad at Elon for the referral program nonsense, which caused us a ton of moderation headaches. Little did I know he was going to make this unpaid job even harder..

I get that moderating is difficult but at a minimum you can just delete any politics but keep the topic open rather than blanket banning a topic, that's a ridiculous stance to take.

The problem with this moderator is that they appear to clamp down on anything they personally don't like rather than upholding any rules - case in point was that post they deleted in the roundtable thread earlier in the week where someone said they want the share price to drop so that they can buy some shares. What rule does a post like that break?

There was another odd post on the Twitter thread where they tried to unfairly blame "both sides of the aisle" for down voting posts when it was pretty evident it was mainly one user from Texas who was at it (and I have no doubt he will down vote this post as well)

I get that moderating is difficult but at a minimum you can just delete any politics but keep the topic open rather than blanket banning a topic, that's a ridiculous stance to take.
That's what we were doing and may do again. It's much more labor intensive than you might believe, since it takes on average about 3 posts before politics are brought up. If you're volunteering for a full time unpaid job monitoring that discussion, happy to put your name in the hat.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
That's what we were doing and may do again. It's much more labor intensive than you might believe, since it takes on average about 3 posts before politics are brought up. If you're volunteering for a full time unpaid job monitoring that discussion, happy to put your name in the hat.
Go for it, happy to step in as a referee on that topic.

Moderator note: no more discussion about Twitter in this thread (or any other thread). To all posters who just migrated from the closed Elon & Twitter thread to this one that should not come as a surprise.

Serious question here - how on earth is an "Elon Musk" thread not allowing a discussion regarding Twitter which is very relevant now, not only to him, but perhaps to the performance of Tesla?

I also understand that it's currently hard to separate Elon Musk's actions from Tesla the company.
It's not just hard - it is IMPOSSIBLE.

You can not separate Elon and Tesla. Or Elon and SpaceX. Or Elon and Twitter.

Elon has made damn sure that Elon, and Elon himself is the face of Tesla.

When you don't have a marketing or a PR department, when you don't let any of your employees be the voice of the company, this is the result.

TMC trying to separate Elon from Tesla is a fool's errand.

You can either guide sub-topics of Elon into the appropriate sub-forum or topic, but you will never pull Elon and his actions out of TMC.

Embrace it.

Don't ban it.

I applaud the mods for the hard and often thankless work they do. That said, I think there's a place for a thread about Twitter, given that the CEO and majority shareholder of Tesla is also the sole owner of Twitter.

Having a thread (or even a forum) about Twitter would be nice for those of us who would just as soon avoid the topic. Giving people a dedicated thread to rant in would make it much easier for the mods to keep such posts off of the rest of the forum.

Also, Musk's actions, which I characterize as insane, affects Tesla and everybody who cares about Tesla or owns stock in the company. It seems odd to ban all discussion about one very prominent aspect of the life of the CEO of Tesla on a Tesla forum.

Maybe have two threads: Musk and Twitter - Nonpolitical; and Musk and Twitter - Political.

Just my two cents' worth.

Other Moderator Note: I hope, at the minimum, members can be understanding that it's challenging for moderators to adapt to this new paradigm. While we've historically added forums for Elon's other companies (SpaceX, Boring Company, etc.), those were always more technical discussions and significantly less related to politics. This site has always had a ban on political discussions, and any discussion of Twitter seems to rapidly gravitate there, which is problematic not only from a moderation standpoint but from a membership cohesion standpoint.

As a moderator and user of this site, I also understand that it's currently hard to separate Elon Musk's actions from Tesla the company. Historically, members here treated them as almost one and the same. So discussing his public persona and advertised opinions is definitely related to the company, and people who have followed Tesla for years are going to want to express their opinions. The problem with opinions revolving around outrage (warranted or not) is that it provides short term fulfillment and brings members back to re-engage, and re-engage again. Great for driving site views, bad for building member cohesion. Perhaps this is what @Right_Said_Fred meant when he said this place is not Twitter, nor do we want it to be. But I don't want to speak for him.

We are currently discussing site policies about Twitter, how to moderate, and what to allow, and engaging the site admins and owners to determine what best serves the site and most importantly, the membership. It's probably going to be a little bumpy and uneven for now, but I wanted to write this to just ask some courtesy from the members towards the moderation staff, who are truly trying to find the right solution for all of us.

Heck, I was mad at Elon for the referral program nonsense, which caused us a ton of moderation headaches. Little did I know he was going to make this unpaid job even harder..
It sounds like pressure is being applied from someone in the background. As long as we have contradictory and doubtful management actions from Texas, as long we’ll have the symptoms popping up here. That’s only natural.
Shutting down threads and banning members cannot be the consequence. We already had the Elon thread quarantined as far away from anything (off topic, no one found it anyway) so what’s the real reason behind this aggressive moderation where a certain moderator can take a politically pretty one sided stance?

How close is the relationship with Tesla I might ask?

Serious question here - how on earth is an "Elon Musk" thread not allowing a discussion regarding Twitter which is very relevant now, not only to him, but perhaps to the performance of Tesla?
We already know Musk's acquisition of Twitter decimated Tesla's stock price/company value and his foolish antics have badly tarnished the Tesla brand. Past tense, the horse is out of the barn! As a Tesla owner and shareholder, I'm pissed at Musk. So, too, are many other TMC members. I thank the mods for doing a thankless task.

"We dont talk about Elon" courtesy of ChatGPT

We used to talk about him all the time
But now it's like he never crossed our minds
We don't say his name out loud anymore
We don't talk about Elon

We don't talk about Elon
We don't talk about Elon
It's like he never existed
We don't talk about Elon

It's not like we have a choice
It's not like we have a say
We just go along with the crowd
And keep him locked away

We don't talk about Elon
We don't talk about Elon
We don't talk about Elon

Maybe one day we'll break free
Maybe one day we'll speak our minds
But for now we'll just keep quiet And leave Elon behind

We don't talk about Elon
We don't talk about Elon
We don't talk about Elon

Which is the reason for having a separate sub-forum to contain all the Twitter twatter. The rest of us can then just ignore it. And the mods wouldn't have to wear themselves out keeping it off of the other forums.
The issue is, even just having it to begin with the bird chirping was bleeding into other threads (even new one being started), subforums and posts were constantly having to be moved because folks just couldn’t help themselves.

The easiest solution is to just shut it down completely and give people who try to restart it time outs.

How do I get the forum to stop giving me notifications about this thread? I think I posted in it a long time ago and now I get that red dot over the bell every day because there are more posts. I am kind of weird about unread notifications bothering me so it creates an endless loop of more notifications when I click on the existing one to make it go away... :)

As an aside, I feel for the mods on this one. This thread completely sucks now that the 6% has decided that Elon (the guy who has done more to transition the world to renewable energy that probably anyone) is a heretic and therefore must be shamed constantly. But it is hard to have a Tesla forum that can't talk about the guy that owns Tesla wasting his time on a social media company instead of focusing on Tesla... so you kind of have to leave this open. Not really sure what a good solution is I just would like to stop getting notifications about it.

How do I get the forum to stop giving me notifications about this thread? I think I posted in it a long time ago and now I get that red dot over the bell every day because there are more posts. I am kind of weird about unread notifications bothering me so it creates an endless loop of more notifications when I click on the existing one to make it go away... :)
Top of the thread page, turn off the “Watch” button… as I’m going to do after I post this reply. 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.