Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon Musk on Twitter:

So this bothers me for several reasons. The first, is that it's nonchalant, as if they can just whip out really good enhancements with no prep time. When history has show that Tesla is virtually unable to do anything meaningful software-wise, quickly. The second, is that there is already a whole thread here listing some really great improvements that could just be referenced, or that chart over at Teslarati that lists a bunch of requested features. The third, I feel like he is implying they have no idea what to do next so they are asking for suggestions. That's no way to run a dev team. You should already have your list ready and prioritized to go through. And fourth, this looks like an attempt at a distraction from the stock price and the consumer reports nonsense.

It just surprises me that he would have to ask for these. I would have thought that Elon and the entire dev team would have had this forum's Software request threads virtually bookmarked or stamped to the inside of their skulls.

Dang it Tesla, we've literally laid out what you need to do on this forum, and there are really good suggestions that are coming up on 3 years old that still haven't been implemented! The Holy Grail is sitting in front of your face and you send a Twitter message out asking if anyone has a cup you can borrow?!?

- - - Updated - - -

And if the dev team actually used the nav routing they'd quickly realize how much work it needs...

I think it has to addressed to two different groups:

a. Classic cars without auto pilot

b. Cars with auto pilot

I can speak for cars without auto pilot ...Need new clock not that analog clock please !
Need better browser capability please
Can Navigation be improved in 7.1

Elon Musk on Twitter:

So this bothers me for several reasons. The first, is that it's nonchalant, as if they can just whip out really good enhancements with no prep time. When history has show that Tesla is virtually unable to do anything meaningful software-wise, quickly. The second, is that there is already a whole thread here listing some really great improvements that could just be referenced, or that chart over at Teslarati that lists a bunch of requested features. The third, I feel like he is implying they have no idea what to do next so they are asking for suggestions. That's no way to run a dev team. You should already have your list ready and prioritized to go through. And fourth, this looks like an attempt at a distraction from the stock price and the consumer reports nonsense.
Wait. First it's that Tesla hasn't asked me for MY opinion, now it's because they ask for feedback they suck?

Frankly it's amazing to me that he wants discussion at all, given the volume and spiteful malcontent nature of many of the posts at this forum. Amazing to me.

If Elon has half a brain (and IMO he's got one helluva intellect and incredible vision) then he cannot be bothered by day-to-day movement of the stock or an article here or there. He needs to be dialed into users that have solid, contructive things to say about their work and focus on the broader landscape, not close-by hills and valleys.

- - - Updated - - -

A software development kit?
Third party application support...
An app ecosystem. That would be completely awesome.

And fourth, this looks like an attempt at a distraction from the stock price and the consumer reports nonsense.

That's what I think. It's just misdirection/PR. Based on the gargabe responses on Twitter ("make it go get me pizza!") they must have known that they're going to get thousands of useless replies, and the useful ones they do get they should already know what to fix (based on 7.0 beta testers and/or this forum). I'm thinking maybe it's not even Elon who tweeted that and someone in their marketing/PR department. The whole thing smells fishy.

Tesla already reads these forums. Some of you know this like I do because we were contacted when we complained of certain things on this forum and our VIN number identified us. They looked us up and sent us email. That's why mine is now blanked out below. Probably too late since they logged my username too. :(

- K

The tweet was to regain control of a situation that is a bit out of hand. In a day or two, all of this forum chatter about v7 will look like a response to the tweet. And good healthy discussion that ensued from it, putting Tesla in the lead. People will forget what came first, the tweet or the gripes. They'll just know Elon tweeted asking for input... and we flooded in response to that. The message taken away by most will be "Tesla is not only receptive or reactive to requests for user improvements, they are proactive!"

That's Smart PR, right there.

A good (diplomatic) response on our part would be to say, "thank you".

Last edited:
Tesla already reads these forums. Some of you know this like I do because we were contacted when we complained of certain things on this forum and our VIN number identified us. They looked us up and sent us email. That's why mine is now blanked out below. Probably too late since they logged my username too. :(

- K

I know this to be true since I've been contacted directly by e-mail and telephone in response to an issue I raised in TMC. And I know it's because I show my VIN; confirmed when I asked how they tracked me down. A basic tenet I've used throughout my long business career when defining product roadmaps is "voice of the customer". I've even heard Elon espouse the same mantra, asking for and listening to constructive criticism. My VIN is still visible in every post because I am a customer and I welcome such interaction with the mothership.

Elon Musk on Twitter:

I wouldn't over-analyze his tweet. It merely allows Tesla to get a sense of what "normal" people might like to see with a short, concise response. They already have the responses from TMC and are undoubtedly already evaluating them.

Larry

So, just to be clear, people are upset with a CEO asking for feedback from customers?

...Why is that?

Instead of complaining use it as an opportunity to share your thoughts outside of sharing them just on TMC. I'm sure they read them here as well, but it didn't stop me from taking 10 seconds to send a brief tweet.

Excited for 7.1

Since Tesla employees/CEO's don't publicly post on TMC, maybe it's a way for Elon to acknowledge they are interested in feedback and aware that improvements are needed.

I find it interesting that twitter is used for the general public and email is used to communicate directly to Tesla owners but there is no official company presence on TMC or the Tesla message boards (other than the well documented lurking that others have pointed out).