Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon Tweets Kernel Update and New Feature Coming Mid-May 2017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We gave up a long time ago. Staying on 7.1.

The great thing about those who refuse to budge from a firmware version is they become the defacto historians.

As our historian can you answer the following.

1.) Does the speed sign suddenly a lot bigger a few moments after you exceed the speed-limit+over-setting? With 8.1 when I exceed 10 miles an hour over the speed limit it suddenly gets HUGE.

2.) Does AP show multiple cars in front of you?

I'm also a little confused on why you're sticking with 7.1 when from what I've read Tesla removed the restrictions to launch mode that they added after 7.1.

Reactions: Kristoffer Helle
We turned off the speed limit notifications.

AutoPilot still relies on the camera as the primary sensor and only one car in front shown.

The restrictions on the P cars are still in place, just removed if you use launch mode while the V3 batteries are now restricted to only 1500 amps.

Staying on 7.1 because everything works for us. The updates brought no value and significant reduction in usefulness for us.

At this point, shouldn't we start hearing about the 9.0 release soon?

Since we still haven't seen the promised functionality that was supposed to be in 8.1 (new kernel, improved browser, media player fixes, ...) - maybe they'll just decide to hold those a little longer and put them in the next major release...

• Funny
Reactions: Boatguy
At this point, shouldn't we start hearing about the 9.0 release soon?

Since we still haven't seen the promised functionality that was supposed to be in 8.1 (new kernel, improved browser, media player fixes, ...) - maybe they'll just decide to hold those a little longer and put them in the next major release...
I believe the new kernel was already released a while back, but the rest have not.

Remember when we were kids and our cars actually got useful software updates?

That was cool.

When we bought the car, I basically figured the supercharger network would never actually materialize. But I did think we would be getting frequent and useful software updates. I mean its a silicon valley company, you'd think the software updates would be the easy part for them. I'm quite surprised the opposite happened.

Last time I checked, it also doesn't display the Tesla website correctly...

Though... The pictures of the Model 3 console don't appear to have a browser icon. Is Tesla fix for the browser - to remove it from the Model 3 and possibly the S/X in the future???

For those who are interested, it looks like Elon is now forecasting the release of the kernel update approximately six weeks from today (March 31, 2017).

He states: "Browser is already a little better. Kernel and browser update in prob 6 weeks or so (lots of underlying changes) with a few nice features."

Here's a link to the twitter exchange:

Elon Musk on Twitter
Did this ever happen? What new nice features were added?