Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I care about what they implement next, and I couldn't even bring myself to read all of those. A few of the ones I looked at aren't even technically possible without hardware updates (like 37, where the response time of the suspension is too slow for such a thing, or recognition of driver profile by key given the car can't tell the difference between them).

I'd be happy with addressing customer comments on the IC layout, and finally giving the Media app some attention.

That's fine, but only a couple would be coupled with hardware, the rest are ALL doable in software.

While the 17" touchscreen and dashboard have the potential to provide a fantastic driver/passenger experience, overall, the software continues to underperform - when new capabilities are added, they are typically a "V1.0" or "beta" level of functionality - and after the initial release, it doesn't appear that Tesla plans to go back to provide the missing functionality. We are still missing basic features like playlists or waypoints - plus other major features long promised such as the App Store and 3rd party apps.

Tesla can and should do much better with their software - because when actual functionality implemented is compared to what's available now or soon to be available in other cars (even those at much lower price points than the Model S), the Model S is less capable. And in some areas, this can impact safety - such as the lack of text messaging integration.

If Tesla is going to change their software process for 7.1 - and actively solicit owner input on changes - that's a huge and positive step - but they shouldn't stop there, they should also:

• Provide a road map on the major features they plan to address in the next and subsequent software releases
  • Increase software staffing enough so that a portion of the staff can be allocated to add missing features to the previously released software
  • Open up the beta testing process to allow all owners the ability to opt-in or opt-out of testing
  • Assemble the list of all requested features and previously promised features and indicate if and when they plan to address them
  • And, implement the ability to "roll back" to the previously stable firmware - so that if bugs are distributed in a production or beta release, owners have the option to back the change out (rollback to the previously installed firmware is difficult to test; they should be able to test with each software update the ability to roll back to a specific previous release though)

While the 17" touchscreen and dashboard have the potential to provide a fantastic driver/passenger experience, overall, the software continues to underperform - when new capabilities are added, they are typically a "V1.0" or "beta" level of functionality - and after the initial release, it doesn't appear that Tesla plans to go back to provide the missing functionality. We are still missing basic features like playlists or waypoints - plus other major features long promised such as the App Store and 3rd party apps.

Tesla can and should do much better with their software - because when actual functionality implemented is compared to what's available now or soon to be available in other cars (even those at much lower price points than the Model S), the Model S is less capable. And in some areas, this can impact safety - such as the lack of text messaging integration.

If Tesla is going to change their software process for 7.1 - and actively solicit owner input on changes - that's a huge and positive step - but they shouldn't stop there, they should also:

• Provide a road map on the major features they plan to address in the next and subsequent software releases
  • Increase software staffing enough so that a portion of the staff can be allocated to add missing features to the previously released software
  • Open up the beta testing process to allow all owners the ability to opt-in or opt-out of testing
  • Assemble the list of all requested features and previously promised features and indicate if and when they plan to address them
  • And, implement the ability to "roll back" to the previously stable firmware - so that if bugs are distributed in a production or beta release, owners have the option to back the change out (rollback to the previously installed firmware is difficult to test; they should be able to test with each software update the ability to roll back to a specific previous release though)

In my opinion, nonsense. This would cripple their team and we'd never see any progress.

I don't use Twitter, but I did tweet the following:

"Option to preheat traction pack when on shore power to eliminate regenerative braking limit, independent of range mode setting."

I'll also send another letter to [email protected], pointing to the poll thread. Since Tesla has added pack heating for "Max Battery Power", perhaps this will be an easier request for them to meet now.

Would you use battery heating if it were available?

Formal testing may not be the actual job you think it is. I ran a testing team in the past. Its lots of writing regression tests, automating stuff as much as possible. The fun part is trying to think outside the box and trying to break the software (so the customer doesn't).

Can be quite satisfying if the software is pretty bug free and works well. But every bug that does show up is a downer because its almost impossible to be bug free.

I doubt there is a ton of "track time" in the car.

I think I could do that...what are the hours?