Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon, Where is the FSD features you promised?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder when I should go to the Sc to get the new HW. And will 2.5 improve EAP?

No. SC will look at you like you're a moron if you ask for HW2.5. According to @verygreen the wiring is different and some modification will be required to do the retrofit (and the MCU might need to be changed). That's if HW2.5 also includes this stupid rearview camera which, per the Electrek article, isn't part of HW2.5. Its just the ECU having an "extra node" for added processing power (sounds like another Tegra).

So you think they need to change my whole car? I thought it was the computer unit only. Back here they won't get away without delivering FSD like in the video, even if it is only level 2 technically.

No, I think they can retrofit but its not as easy as swapping out a board (if the camera is involved). Elon certainly think its just a hot swap so maybe they've thought this through better than it seems.

• Funny
Reactions: NerdUno
They don't put more costly HW in a car if it didn't matter. Each penny counts when you are producing in 100.000s. Why do some cars have a torsion rear axle instead of a multi link?
Maybe, but for your purposes, this means going to an SC to ask is worthless because they don't have anything set up to do retrofits. They will only do so after they make the determination FSD can't be done on HW 2.0.

This means that Model 3 will have better AP2 than the Model S/X cars that have been sold in the last 10 months - at 1/2 the price.

For those who took a chance with Tesla and paid for FSD activation, they should provide the upgrade for free. And increase the upgrade price for anyone activating in the future that also wants the faster processor.

This means that Model 3 will have better AP2 than the Model S/X cars that have been sold in the last 10 months - at 1/2 the price.

We don't know what is means.
I'm confident that Tesla will take care of all AP2 customers. They are plenty smart enough to know that they have to tread carefully here.

Tesla only needs to act when AP2.5 cars functionally diverge from AP2 cars.

I'm afraid that I can already see HW 3.0 coming next year ... FSD soon to follow :cool:

We already knew that Tesla updated its Autopilot hardware suite for the Model 3 when we realized that the vehicle is equipped with a driver-facing camera – something not currently available in Model S or X. But now several sources told Electrek that it is not the only change that coincided with the start of Model 3 production. We are told that a new onboard computer updated to include a secondary GPU for more computing power was also added. The new Autopilot hardware suite is internally called “HW 2.5”.

In a statement to Electrek, a spokesperson confirmed the existence of the new hardware suite, but they downplayed its importance:
“The internal name HW 2.5 is an overstatement, and instead it should be called something more like HW 2.1. This hardware set has some added computing and wiring redundancy, which very slightly improves reliability, but it does not have an additional Pascal GPU.”

The spokesperson also said that all Model S, Model X, and Model 3 vehicles being ordered today come with the new hardware.

After announcing Autopilot 2.0, Musk said that he believes Tesla could achieve self-driving capability on the computer, but he left the door open for an upgrade and highlighted that they build the mount under the glove box to be easily accessible if they need to swap the system for a more powerful computer. Tesla still believes that it can achieve the promised full autonomy on the 2.0 suite, but they now say that they could upgrade HW 2.0 cars with the new 2.5 hardware at no cost in the “highly unlikely” possibility that it is actually needed:

“However, we still expect to achieve full self-driving capability with safety more than twice as good as the average human driver without making any hardware changes to HW 2.0. If this does not turn out to be the case, which we think is highly unlikely, we will upgrade customers to the 2.5 computer at no cost.” Furthermore, the company also reiterated their goal of “driving from a parking lot in downtown LA to a parking lot in downtown NY without touching the controls by the end of the year.”

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Swift
We get it bro. Whining in every thread isn't going to speed up the timeline. We're all dissapointed, get over it.

I would be willing to bet, that Elon has paid staff combing thru every worthwhile post, searching for nuggets, which are then tabulated and forwarded to him, as appropriate. It appears to me that what you call whining, may have had something to do with the appearance of cup holders, et al.

Scannerman

Last edited:
Well, that's a positive development. I'd be happy if they stick with that promise. But I doubt I'll own the car by the time they figure this stuff out.

I read that comment more like retrofits being an unwanted emergency backdoor they will try their best to avoid. It does not mean FSD on AP2 will have to be as good as on AP2.5 for Tesla to still consider it good enough...

That said, if they do resort to retrofits, I don't see that happening until year(s) later when FSD actually can use it. Who knows what HW version (own silicon?) they might be fitting into cars by then.

Last edited:
They don't put more costly HW in a car if it didn't matter. Each penny counts when you are producing in 100.000s. Why do some cars have a torsion rear axle instead of a multi link?
In this case they might do.

It's a matter of cost/risk. Tesla doesn't use all processing power now for EAP. Actually they probably don't know how much processing power they will need in the end for 100% FSD.

If they think AP2.0 hardware might be enough, but they know AP2.5 is much more likely to be enough. And AP2.5 is a few hundred $ more expensive. Then it's an easy question and cheap insurance.

It's cheaper to replace maybe 20k cars later, than eventually having to replace all 500k cars (with M3 ramp-up numbers and all).

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
In this case they might do.

It's a matter of cost/risk. Tesla doesn't use all processing power now for EAP. Actually they probably don't know how much processing power they will need in the end for 100% FSD.

If they think AP2.0 hardware might be enough, but they know AP2.5 is much more likely to be enough. And AP2.5 is a few hundred $ more expensive. Then it's an easy question and cheap insurance.

It's cheaper to replace maybe 20k cars later, than eventually having to replace all 500k cars (with M3 ramp-up numbers and all).

This is possible.

There is also the scenario that they do already suspect AP2 won't be enough but worded their statement to appease the market at this stage about a costly retrofit, while reassuring AP2 owners at the same time...

Returning to an AP2 retrofit once even cheaper HW is available and the Model 3 train is running smoothly is less risky for Tesla than talking positively about such a thing today.

Just speculation, of course.

Reactions: dragonxt
Status
Not open for further replies.