Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon, Where is the FSD features you promised?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Humbly; I've got a few Tesla's and over 300k of Autopilot miles on the Fleet. Most of them run AP1 and the latest addition runs AP2. As noted across many threads in the forum there is quite a large gap between their capabilities and trust you can place in them.

My personal view is that the pre-facelift AP1 is actually the stronger of all at the current versions. Facelift AP1 feels much more stable today than AP2, but there is still some strange goings on, acceleration pauses and line hugging. The Camera/Radar primary sensor switch around made a huge difference to the capabilities of the Facelifted AP1. It too - was much more nervous than pre-facelift AP1 beforehand.
On the subject of AP2 and the Tesla communications, I concur with the feelings that Tesla as a entirety have sold a dream that they're struggling to deliver upon.

The truth ... will set you free :cool:

Last edited:
Plus the interior camera. It's remarkable that they did not know they needed an interior camera last fall.

Since Tesla advertised "hardware capable of full self drive" it seems all AP2 cars would be eligible for purchase, regardless of functionality purchased.
There was a great deal advertised in terms of capability of AP1, such come and fetch you from your front door etc. there is a great deal that has been reneged upon.

Sadly this is not the message you hear from Tesla salespeople.

The regular layperson idea of Tesla technology today is "oh! it's a car that drives itself!" (confirmed by FedEx delivery person that brought me my plates and asked me how is my self-driving car doing.)
Somewhat more educated public has this a bit different image of "Tesla has the most advanced 'autopilot' on the market that still needs some intervention from people, but they also demonstrated FSD last year and there's a video of it so it should not be too far away." (I fell into this camp at purchase time reinforced by salesman telling me that FSD is much sooner than I imagine and I might send my car to the service center for annual inspection all by itself (3 hours drive so hardly something I want to do myself)).

There was official eap timetable and that did not help much, btw (this is what the class action lawsuit is about). Needless to say salespeople did not acknowledge that one either. I.e. they demonstrated AP1 and said that AP2 is so much better, but they don't have any AP2 demo cars so just marvel at AP1 for now (happened to me on two occasions).

Excellent summary.

Reactions: davidc18
it's easy:

"I think we have all the pieces, and it's just about refining those pieces, putting them in place, and making sure they work across a huge number of environments—and then we’re done," Musk told Fortune with assuredness during his commute to SpaceX headquarters in Hawthorne, Calif., where he is also CEO. "It’s a much easier problem than people think it is. But it’s not like George Hotz, a one-guy-and-three-months problem. You know, it’s more like, thousands of people for two years."

Elon Musk Says Tesla Vehicles Will Drive Themselves in Two Years

I don't know why people even waste their time discussing this. Elon said it's easy. FSD is a walk in the park.

Elon is probably hard at work solving really hard problems, the easy ones get delayed a little. Big deal...

it's easy:

Elon Musk Says Tesla Vehicles Will Drive Themselves in Two Years

I don't know why people even waste their time discussing this. Elon said it's easy. FSD is a walk in the park.

Elon is probably hard at work solving really hard problems, the easy ones get delayed a little. Big deal...

I didn't even realize people were needed to solve this problem, I thought the neural net would figure itself out after simply processing million miles of video footage.

Oh look, GM is driving people around autonomously:

GM’s Cruise launches beta autonomous ride-sharing app with Chevy Bolt EVs

Meanwhile, EAP Summon runs into garage walls.

To be fair, they ARE both in beta.
Not exactly fair to compare prototypes to vehicles sold to consumers.

I've seen a bunch of these already up close and it's definitely not ready for consumer use (no way the sensors can be mounted that way in a consumer car). In fact, I believe I saw them leaving that exact garage, and they took a bit of time doing it as it seems the two sensors sticking out on the sides in the front are fairly easy to clip off if they aren't careful about it.

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele

I've seen a bunch of these already up close and it's definitely not ready for consumer use (no way the sensors can be mounted that way in a consumer car). In fact, I believe I saw them leaving that exact garage, and they took a bit of time doing it as it seems the two sensors sticking out on the sides in the front are fairly easy to clip off if they aren't careful about it.
LOL. Ok.

Which exactly is the prototype. The one that will surpass 5,000 miles per disengagment in 2-5 months or the one whose was stuck at 1 miles per disengagement as of end of last year?

Reactions: Swift and _jal_
I really thought by now we would see some features of FSD coming out. Like we have seen with EAP. Maybe they are planning a "big bang" release? Very disappointed so far.

I was feeling the same way for some time. Perhaps release it all at once instead of in phases as some big surprise.

My thinking is....

Fall 2017 (9.0 update) - some FSD features released in Beta (like park seek mode). More advancements of EAP.
Fall 2018 (10.0) - more phases released.
Fall 2019 (11.0) - Full on FSD released + Tesla Network

I hope I'm so wrong though and it comes sooner.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Fall 2019 (11.0) - Full on FSD released + Tesla Network

nick-cage-lol.gif

I was just at a Tesla event and its far from us internet nerds that have noticed AP2 is not what they were promised or sold on. In fact, I was speaking to a recent X owner that swore he was told the car could drive itself. Clearly he misunderstood the salesperson (at least, I hope so!) but Tesla is sending mixed messages with their FSD demos almost a year ago and the current state of affairs. Even Elon needs to acknowledge that he misled Q4 '16 buyers with his end of 2016 parity spiel. There were excellent savings on inventory AP1 vehicles that people, like me, passed up because of the fact AP2 should be further along.

Further, your rosy optimism is misplaced. There is no predicting AP2's growth because its like playing poker with 1/2 the deck. We just have to sit back and hope AP2 isn't a bridge to nowhere.
Don't get me wrong - I don't thnk 4-10 weeks from now we'll be driving around with the cars taking exits for themselves, changing lanes on their own, etc. I just think most likely in that time frame that the remaining lane keeping fails we've seen recently demonstrated (hugging, swerving for black tar lines) will have been ironed out. Well, I don't know. I did yesterday - now I am simply hoping for perfect lane keeping within 8 weeks + one EAP feature such as auto exit or auto lane change. I still give that more than even money odds of coming in 2 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.