Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Enhanced Summon coming (Elon tweet 6 Apr, 2019)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my current AP/safety systems situation which is, well.... rubbish (and sometimes downright dangerous).
I think most of my problems are from a very badly built sample
In all my car has become somewhat of a running gag and embarrassment over here - Tesla doesn't seem to care :(

It's important to distinguish build slop, faulty hardware and automation status. Your comprehensible irritation shouldn't color your impression across the board. You're throwing everything together. AP is not the same as a rattling body, phone bluetooth issues or mirrors.

I sounds like you did get a unit with a lot of slop, and it's not typical. Hopefully they will correct these soon. Or you should return it and get a replacement. In California anyway, after a few tries to fix a "lemon", they have to give you a different one. Have you considered driving to a different service center, even in a different country, and camping out until they fix the car?

Anyone expecting any company's automation to fully handle the car at all times needs to take a reality breather. The last 2 days I drove > 500km on freeways, highways and surface streets, most of it in AS, some in NOA, some in manual. Well over 90% of the drive was in AP and much much less tiring than in a manual-only car.

Get your hardware fixed and start learning the automation systems, you'll probably end up a happy Tesla owner.

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2019-07-16 at 10.50.58 AM.png

:rolleyes:
Thread title should be changed to "next month"
It's good that he's giving warning. Buy now or be priced out forever!

Magical is not a word I'd use to describe Enhanced Summon. Having seen examples of it running (2019.20.4.6) it still is slow (4 MPH), too cautious (preferring to back up instead of steering around an obstacle), and not accurate (misses the mark by at least a car length).

Not too many use cases for this feature. And somewhere in Elon's tweet stream was a comment that it is now about 6 weeks out. So maybe 5 at this time but his tweet above is more like 4 weeks. It's still a vague timeline. When/if it gets released it will create a lot of disappointment.

Magical is not a word I'd use to describe Enhanced Summon. Having seen examples of it running (2019.20.4.6) it still is slow (4 MPH), too cautious (preferring to back up instead of steering around an obstacle), and not accurate (misses the mark by at least a car length).
I'll actually be very impressed if it doesn't run into stuff. It's good if that's the number one priority.

Reactions: DDotJ
View attachment 430309
:rolleyes:
Thread title should be changed to "next month"
It's good that he's giving warning. Buy now or be priced out forever!

Good to know. Let's hope Aug 16 is the real release date.

Honestly, I am not mad about all the delays with enhanced summon because the delays should only give us a better feature in the end.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life

Not too many use cases for this feature. And somewhere in Elon's tweet stream was a comment that it is now about 6 weeks out. So maybe 5 at this time but his tweet above is more like 4 weeks. It's still a vague timeline. When/if it gets released it will create a lot of disappointment.
I'm a little more impressed by it than you seem to be. However... I fully agree with your last paragraph. To me, enhanced summon is more of a proof of concept than a feature that will be used very often. And even so - it's likely be more disappointing than pleasing upon release. But hopefully it's a solid foundation that they can build from.

Doubt it, we still have hold button summon that won't reach my car two car lengths away where I park at work. When it rains hard, I give summon a try to avoid the rain; and every time I get a bit wet after failed attempts. :(:(
Yup just absolutely terrible. My driveway is slightly longer than the max distance it will go in a single summon too so I have to do it twice, which almost never works so I end up having to get in/out just to clear my gate