Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless they drop the off peak rate, It means nothing for those with battery that barely touch the peak rate plus as someone as mentioned the price cap does not apply to IO.

What I would like to see is the standing charge drop!
The price cap absolutely does apply to IO as it no longer a fixed-rate, but has been converted to a variable tariff since last year. Therefore it is considered a multi-rate tariff similar to Economy7.

The price cap absolutely does apply to IO as it no longer a fixed-rate, but has been converted to a variable tariff since last year. Therefore it is considered a multi-rate tariff similar to Economy7.
I expressed my comment poorly, yes the cap applies, but the current tariff rates are not limited by the cap, they are set well below the cap, so they would comply with the revised cap as they are.

It doesn't mean that Octopus will not change the rates, but they don't have to...

I have the same set up (tesla & hypervolt) and same issue. Tesla have confirmed that the issue is with the wake up signal from the tesla server ( it's a text message!!) failing to wake the car which means that tbe charger cannot start charging.
I am still waiting for some kind of explanation, I can hear the car 'waking up' through the night as the car is on the drive under the bedroom window, but still no charge come morning.
I received an email last wednesday, saying I need to start the process again, so I deleted the car and charger from the account, now I am still waiting for them to be reinstated, I spoke to them on friday, of course they are still looking into and it will of course be esculated......
I have now gone back to just setting the charge through the Teasla a app.

I expressed my comment poorly, yes the cap applies, but the current tariff rates are not limited by the cap, they are set well below the cap, so they would comply with the revised cap as they are.

It doesn't mean that Octopus will not change the rates, but they don't have to...
To further explain what @Mark_T said, you need to look at your bills. It will tell you what your average rate is... mine is averaging at close to 7.3p plus vat per unit.

There are few more operators that EE
The issue is with tesla's sim provider (Dutch I believe). The service operates as if it is roaming in the uk and has a problem switching between some mobile signal areas ( in my case Trafford, Manchester). The car drops the signal when I get home and as a result I cannot wake the car from the app when it goes to sleep and tesla also can not wake it. The only solution other than disconnecting the car from IO is to keep it in sentry mode which stops the car from sleeping.

To further explain what @Mark_T said, you need to look at your bills. It will tell you what your average rate is... mine is averaging at close to 7.3p plus vat per unit.
I'm not deeply into the technicals of a multi rate price cap, but I would have thought that it's an standard average of the daily off-peak/peak rate that is subject to the cap, rather than individualised usage per customer?
How do you apply the cap then? How does Octopus proves compliance to the regulator?
Everyone has a different average rate depending on consumption.
Do you simply cap bills of individual customers who used the tariff wrong?
I don't think this would be practical, or at least isn't the way the system currently works.

You get 6 hours off-peak per day, so I would have used the formula 0,25 * off_peak_rate + 0.75 * peak_rate. And as I showed in my previous post, this would put IO over the July 1st price cap...

I'm not deeply into the technicals of a multi rate price cap, but I would have thought that it's an standard average of the daily off-peak/peak rate that is subject to the cap, rather than individualised usage per customer?
How do you apply the cap then? How does Octopus proves compliance to the regulator?
I don't think this would be practical, or at least isn't the way the system currently works.

You get 6 hours off-peak per day, so I would have used the formula 0,25 * off_peak_rate + 0.75 * peak_rate. And as I showed in my previous post, this would put IO over the July 1st price cap...

The assumed split is 58:42 peak : off-peak (reviewed every 2 years, but seems never to have changed):

and this is literally how rate is calculated by Octopus or anyone else.

the rate like IO is averaged out during the day to get full day's rate.

I think, as far as EV charging goes, there’s a bit of misunderstanding as to what IO is and does.

On the IO tariff all EV charging is at the low rate. Once the car is plugged in and IO sets a schedule, that charge costs 7.5p per kWh irrespective of how long the car takes to charge. If the battery is such that it needs more than 6 hours charging then it will take more than 6 hours, it doesn’t matter. I set my car to be ready by 0830 in the morning and it nearly always charges outside the previously understood low tariff period and often for more than 6hrs at a time. At the same time, if the battery doesn’t reach the desired % charge by the end of the schedule it updates dynamically and will keep going until you reach your requested level of charge.

In a nutshell with Intelligent Octopus Go, bump charging is always at the higher rate. Any scheduled charging set by the app is always at 7.5p irrespective of time of day or length of charging period required.

Last edited:

I know everyone doesn't get the same peak rates but for my case my case ill do a simple calculation:

18x 0.27.27 (peak) = 4.90.86 + 6x 0.075 (off peak) = 5.35.86 (total for 24 hours) then divide this by 24 and the price per unit is 0.22.32.75 flat rate 🤷‍♂️

I know everyone doesn't get the same peak rates but for my case my case ill do a simple calculation:

18x 0.27.27 (peak) = 4.90.86 + 6x 0.075 (off peak) = 5.35.86 (total for 24 hours) then divide this by 24 and the price per unit is 0.22.32.75 flat rate 🤷‍♂️
Yes.
And the new cap from next week for your region (assuming South West from your profile) will be 20.70p
(2nd table, multi-rate)

I produced the actual basis that you should use to see where multi-rates sit earlier - it is not anything to do with your own specific use case

The assumed split is 58:42 peak : off-peak (reviewed every 2 years, but seems never to have changed):

Reactions: Whyone and WllXM
Not quite the 5/13p but unit rates heading in the right direction. Unlike standing charge.

1719389966939.png

Reactions: WllXM