Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Everything you wanted to know about Intelligent Octopus But Were Afraid To Ask

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why write this post?
A lot of people are starting to get interested in IO. I don't think Octopus do a very good job of spelling out the benefits in their website. They have some FAQs, but the same questions keep coming up over and over on the forums.

What is it?
In a nutshell, IO is a split tariff that gives you a cheap off-peak rate for charging your EV and other electrical items in the household, including home batteries.

Isn’t that the same as Octopus Go or Go Faster?
The principle is the same, but in exchange for some benefits which we’ll explain, you allow Octopus to control the timing of your EV charge, so they can choose low carbon intensity and/or cheap wholesale priced time slots.

So I’m not in control of my charge? I don’t like the sound of that!
Well yes…and no. You’re in control of how much to charge and when you want the car to be ready, just like you would be normally. Within those parameters, you’re allowing Octopus to control which half-hour slots the car chooses to get to that target % charge. And you can always override IO if you want to “bump charge” through the day.

OK, but what are the benefits you mentioned for this trade off?
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Am I eligible?
You need a smart meter and a compatible car and/or charger. Since you’re reading this here, I assume you’ve got or are thinking of getting a Tesla. IO works with the Tesla API to create the charging schedules. The advantage of this is that IO will work with any* home charger. If you have a charger with smart features, you need to disable them so that the charger acts as a dumb switch. IO will control everything via Tesla’s API to start and stop your charging.
*Even your granny charger - but you need to tell IO what the max throughput is when you go through setup so that it can work out your schedules properly.

Some of this sounds too good to be true.
Phantom drain caused by having smart charging enabled in the Octopus app has been fixed as of 30th August 2022. One small side effect appears to be that schedules sometimes take longer to appear in the app after plugging in.

Further questions (to be updated in the main thread body once the edit timer on this post expires)

I have two EVs, can I charge the other while on IO?

Not with IO scheduling the charging, but you can charge any other car in the fixed 23:30-05:30 off peak window or at any other time at peak prices.

What are the rates etc?
Octopus do a decent job of explaining the peak and off-peak rates along with contracts etc. Head over to their pages to discover that.

I asked for a target % of x, but I got less than x.
There are two or three reasons for this.

The first, most common reason, is that Tesla reports battery % differently depending on where you look. The API (that IO uses) reports the gross battery %. This is generally fixed but can fluctuate very slightly. The Tesla app shows usable %. Apps like Teslamate and Teslafi can display both. Quite often, there is a delta of 2-3% which may be down to battery temp or other factors. This usable % will often be recovered as the battery warms up during a drive.

Some users have reported charging % being way off, perhaps 10% or more. This could be down to an error in the onboarding process. Some of the charger database entries incorrectly assume the charger you are onboarding is the 11kW version, without actually saying so in the charger description. The Andersen A2 was an early example of this. If you suspect this may be the case, the easiest thing to do is go through the on-boarding again and choose "Generic 7.4kW charger". It won't affect your functionality on IO in any way.

Lastly, it has to be mentioned that occasionally IO just craps out. It may be down to a comms error, a server error at Octopus' end, or just reasons. IO is a beta product and it's wise to expect one or two quirks from time to time

Last edited by a moderator:
Those variable efficiencies at lower AC charging current for Model 3 look rather erratic, e.g. 100% at 21.5 °C but 68% at 21.0°C, 70% at 26 °C?

My own S onboard 19 kW charger is pretty constant, but quite a different architecture. Suggests the 3 might have been optimised for residential charging.

Or could just be that the smaller amount of energy transferred at lower current introduced statistical noise into the efficiency calculation.

Last edited:
If at any time you do not have an active authorisation for integration with a supported vehicle or charge point and you have not had such active authorisation for a period of more than 30 days, you will no longer be eligible for this tariff
We visit the USA twice p.a. for five or six weeks at a time. I tweet just beforehand explaining the dates of my last and next charge (night before we fly/night we return) & get a reply saying thanks, it has been noted on the account that there will be a longer gap than 30 days.

No problems

agree. It woudl be good if octopus worked with the big battery manufacturers to be able to avoid draining during extra slots on IO but until then I don't see an issue with you choosing to mitigate that through reduced usage of the IO controlled charging

In the meantime just thinking about these IO extra slots and awkward battery draining moments in the winter….
On the GivEnergy app, there are 3 command buttons;
1) Pause/resume normal battery operation
2) Charge battery from grid at max rate
3) Discharge battery to grid at max rate

Surely the first 2 options can be utilised at the appropriate time to prevent unnecessarily draining the batteries and/or also supplementing them at the cheap rate. Assuming that it’s not an extra slot at 5:30 am because you have set the finish time in the car to 05:30.
Anything extra before 11:30pm you’re probably going to be awake and can spot it(?) and hit the “Turbo download” button 😂

Powerwall should be similar no?

Do explain the physics behind that. Lower current, lower temperature/resistance, higher performance of AC-DC transformer, no?

There is a baseline consumption of the car when it's wake and charging. If charging at a low rate that baseline forms a higher percentage of the electricity consumption over the period of the charge. The baseline consumption stays the same (or similar) when charging at the higher rate so becomes a lower percentage of the total charge consumption.

We visit the USA twice p.a. for five or six weeks at a time. I tweet just beforehand explaining the dates of my last and next charge (night before we fly/night we return) & get a reply saying thanks, it has been noted on the account that there will be a longer gap than 30 days.

No problems
I’ve been in Spain (with my M3) for the past 3 months. Car is still linked to my IO account but Smart Charge has been disabled since I left the UK. Octopus don’t seem to have cared one jot.

Reactions: btc1k
In the meantime just thinking about these IO extra slots and awkward battery draining moments in the winter….
On the GivEnergy app, there are 3 command buttons;
1) Pause/resume normal battery operation
2) Charge battery from grid at max rate
3) Discharge battery to grid at max rate

Surely the first 2 options can be utilised at the appropriate time to prevent unnecessarily draining the batteries and/or also supplementing them at the cheap rate. Assuming that it’s not an extra slot at 5:30 am because you have set the finish time in the car to 05:30.
Anything extra before 11:30pm you’re probably going to be awake and can spot it(?) and hit the “Turbo download” button 😂

Powerwall should be similar no?

you don't want to pause because that pauses *everything*. You can remotely via the API set the charge and discharge power limit. So my initial thinking is to set the discharge limit to your average baseload so it basically only discharges for what the house uses on average. But you'd need to do that on a halfhourly basis, and if you put the kettle or toaster on your using grid electric. In theory if you time it well you could set discharge to 0 and just run the house on 'cheap' electric for that half hour but timings won't be exact but probably close enough.

tbh if I did this I'd probably semi-game the system. turn the app off most of the time and then 1-2 times a month just charge 20-25% overnight so hopefully using the core hours, when the battery is already set to keep a certain level

Reactions: Pete UK
you don't want to pause because that pauses *everything*. You can remotely via the API set the charge and discharge power limit. So my initial thinking is to set the discharge limit to your average baseload so it basically only discharges for what the house uses on average. But you'd need to do that on a halfhourly basis, and if you put the kettle or toaster on your using grid electric. In theory if you time it well you could set discharge to 0 and just run the house on 'cheap' electric for that half hour but timings won't be exact but probably close enough.

tbh if I did this I'd probably semi-game the system. turn the app off most of the time and then 1-2 times a month just charge 20-25% overnight so hopefully using the core hours, when the battery is already set to keep a certain level
Sounds reasonable.

I was thinking more along the lines of option 2, though. Charge the batteries at max rate from the grid, whilst using the off peak power for the house and car. Kind of like a manual version of what the GE integration for Home Assistant does.

Have you found that using HA has fixed the inverter cross charging issues completely by the way?

I’ve emailed for clarification
…and here’s the definitive response:

Thank you for getting in touch with us regarding your tariff and the IO T&C's. I'd be happy to clarify this for you.

An active authorisation means that you have given us permission to integrate with your supported vehicle or charge point and we are able to receive data from it. If we do not receive data from your supported vehicle or charge point for a period of more than 30 days, we will assume that you no longer wish to participate in the tariff and we will switch you to one of our fairly priced standard tariffs.

Please note that if you wish to continue with the IO tariff, it is important that you keep your authorisation active by ensuring that your supported vehicle or charge point is connected to our system and transmitting data to us.

Reactions: petit_bateau
Until the day they do and kick you out of the tariff...🤷‍♂️
If you read through all the posts on this thread (which, sadly, I have), you’ll see some people have been emailed by Octopus asking why they don’t have a car connected or haven’t charged for x amount of time. A reasonable explanation has led to them putting a note on the account with no further issues.

Car didn’t charge!
Connected the car last night at about 8pm, charging started immediately as usual, then I altered the current to about 10 amps so it took it from the Powerwall and not the grid, after a while I checked the Octopus app and it had set up the charging plan, I then changed the charging current to 32 amps. (The charging was stopped at this stage).
Morning came but the car hadn’t charged, I looked at TeslaFi data for the night time period, but no activity at all.
Anyone got any ideas?

Car didn’t charge!
Connected the car last night at about 8pm, charging started immediately as usual, then I altered the current to about 10 amps so it took it from the Powerwall and not the grid, after a while I checked the Octopus app and it had set up the charging plan, I then changed the charging current to 32 amps. (The charging was stopped at this stage).
Morning came but the car hadn’t charged, I looked at TeslaFi data for the night time period, but no activity at all.
Anyone got any ideas?
Not how IO is intended.

Plug in, car charges.
Either stop via the app or wait to stop.
Schedule will be given.
Car will charge.

Tinkering with amperages, charge rates etc from the those used when signing up (7kWh?) or after a schedule is set are bound to cause issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: goRt
I just joined octopus and thru the app I *think* I've setup IO, question is - it says there's cheap electricity available 11:30 - 05:30, does it apply to the car charging only or other appliance in the house? (assume it's able to tell).
Since it's made a charging schedule, does it mean the cheaper rates only applies to those time interval?

I just joined octopus and thru the app I *think* I've setup IO, question is - it says there's cheap electricity available 11:30 - 05:30, does it apply to the car charging only or other appliance in the house? (assume it's able to tell).
Since it's made a charging schedule, does it mean the cheaper rates only applies to those time interval?
From the page 1 Wiki:
First of all, you get a larger guaranteed off-peak window for using household appliances and charging home batteries, etc. It’s six hours between 23:30-05:30. Go, for example, is a fixed 4 hour window.
In addition, when IO schedules your EV charging slots it sometimes creates schedules that fall outside of the fixed, six hour window. If that happens your EV charging and all your household use in these extra-slots is also charged at off-peak rates.
I have frequently had schedules give me seven or more hours of off-peak rates. On one occasion, I had a total of ten hours of off-peak rates.

Reactions: petit_bateau
Noob question…

How long does it actually take to switch supplier and to get on the IO tariff?

(Currently I’m still with OVO). Do you get put on a standard tariff for a while first or can you just switch and go straight on IO if you supply all the paperwork they need straight away at sign up?

I’m still waiting for the paperwork from my installer (install was 2 weeks ago now). Will I get an (export?) MPAN from the installer or someone else? How does that part work? Installer says they have to notify DNO the install is complete and get an acknowledgment back from them. Is this what they could be waiting for before they send me my “welcome pack”?

Any advice for a smooth transition?

Interestingly enough, with the OVO charge anytime app, I’ve charged the car a few times (from excess Solar in the batteries) and this seems like it’s still being credited to my account as discounted electricity! ie 20p credit per kW that the car uses to charge. 20p per kW that I generated ! 🤫
So I’ve made about £10 off them in 2 weeks. However in the meantime I’ve given them 120kW in export for free, and paid them over £5,000 for gas and electricity since January, so I don’t feel too guilty 😇

On a slightly different note, I happened to have a read of IO’s terms and conditions and came across the following clause:

2.4.7 Intelligent Octopus is subject to a fair use policy with a maximum of six hours of managed charging per 24 hours. Should your charging schedule request more than six hours per 24 hours, we reserve the right to charge any incremental usage above six hours at the day rate.
(my highlight).

This is interesting and I’m not sure I had ever heard this mentioned. I wonder if it’s the way for them to stop the people who purposefully reduce their charge rates in order to systematically get more than 6 hours of cheap electricity for the house…

From the page 1 Wiki:
missed that, thanks.

If you read through all the posts on this thread (which, sadly, I have), you’ll see some people have been emailed by Octopus asking why they don’t have a car connected or haven’t charged for x amount of time. A reasonable explanation has led to them putting a note on the account with no further issues.
Yes I had this, email saying going to move to flexible tariff. Sent them email explaining that as its summer and the sun is out (mostly) the excess generation over house use more than covers the cars use. Hence little need to use IO unless off on a long journey. I switch the IO smart charge off in the app as if it’s on it doesn’t allow my Zappi charger to work under ECO+ mode and move excess generation from house/batteries to car. The understood this and added flag to account so I don’t get the email again. Once sun reduces I’ll be back using IO most days!

Reactions: Simavon and Cardo