Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

F-150 Ford Lightning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The interior is far from outdated, having test drove several 2021 ICE F150’s the interior is a very comfortable and nice place to be in. The CTs interior leave a lot to be desired, and I think a lot of people who are still not sold on EVs will feel the same.

I mean we are talking about Cloth seats vs Vegan seats. You can let the aftermarket take care of those cloth seats.

Looking at charging in miles rather then percent.

The 15%-80% for the 230 mile battery is 150 miles in 44 minutes and 195 miles in 41 minutes for the 300 mile battery.

Meh. If you have to tow anything for any substantial distance you are going to spend more time at chargers then driving.

The 15%-80% for the 230 mile battery is 150 miles in 44 minutes and 195 miles in 41 minutes for the 300 mile battery.

Meh. If you have to tow anything for any substantial distance you are going to spend more time at chargers then driving.
I think that is an exaggeration. If you look at your 195 miles in 41 minutes, even if, because of towing, you figure you only get 50% of that range, ~98 miles, that is still ~1.5 hours of driving for each 41 minutes of charging. So ~2.3x the driving time vs. charging time.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
I think that is an exaggeration. If you look at your 195 miles in 41 minutes, even if, because of towing, you figure you only get 50% of that range, ~98 miles, that is still ~1.5 hours of driving for each 41 minutes of charging. So ~2.3x the driving time vs. charging time.
Yes it was a bit of exaggeration. Still driving 98 miles and then stopping for 41 minutes is pretty bad.

I think if you habitually tow, this is not your powertrain. Also, if you routinely do longer trips with heavier payloads. But that's what diesels are for.

If you occasionally tow or long haul, this will be fine. Recall, EV truck owners are in the same mindset as Telsa adopters circa 2013 or 2014
Not if you are towing with a Cybertruck. What we have seen is that the 300 mile range F150 is going to cost $60K+. So go with the 500+ mile Cybertruck with 250kw charging. 250 miles between charges and how long will charge take? 44 minutes to add the 250 miles back.

True. Even if Ford matches this estimated EPA range, it'll seem like a steal at $40k or even $52k new, TBH. My Model 3 doesn't get that much real-life range and was in that same price range when I bought it used last year.
Wait, but $40k and $52k are NOT the extended range 300-suggeted-miles trucks. They are shorter range 230-suggested-miles trucks. If you want to tow anything reasonable with this, your range will be likely under 100 miles and in cold weather at highway speeds - significantly under 100 miles.

Interesting truck and price point.

Looks like standard model at 39k doesn't have much (they didn't even list the specs which is very doggy). XT and higher trims will have the offline power grid (but at that stage its already > 55k) and still has cloth seats. Also I don't like the interior. very outdated. somehow they though by putting a large center screen would bring the truck to the 21st century.

I do like the following features;
* offline power grid
* 240V plug - so you will be able to theoretically charge the cybertruck using that slot :)
* due to the boxy design, the frunk is massive and will be very useful to store even more items. maybe a large boombox / subwoofer should go there for party time.

Ford will do *everything* in their power to make you *not* order the barebone "commercial grade" version for $40k.
The XLT with 230 miles range but $52k starting price (lane keep assist is extra ; larger infotainment screen is extra) isn't such a good deal anymore... once you go to 300 miles range battery + 1 or 2 extras you are above $60k. If Tesla can keep promised CT specs... the CT will offer a lot more for less. an XLT trim F150 is anything but fancy.

Wait, but $40k and $52k are NOT the extended range 300-suggeted-miles trucks. They are shorter range 230-suggested-miles trucks. If you want to tow anything reasonable with this, your range will be likely under 100 miles and in cold weather at highway speeds - significantly under 100 miles.
Sure, but that's one specific use case -- towing. I'm sure that at a comparable price, the Rivian will also have similar range when towing, especially if you get the 300-mile battery. And that's if Rivian comes through as promised. Take towing out of the equation and consider just straight EPA and I bet the MPGe will be similar. Other factors like charging infrastructure and taper, etc. remain to be seen. But in terms of comparable vehicle pricing, I bet the Lightning will compare favorably.

Of course, everything is up in the air right now, so we'll see.

the Ford pass charging network (plug and charge) and heavily relying on Electrify America isn't bad ... but two *major* concerns:

- most EA stations have only 2 or 4 charging spots ; so my assumption is that they'll be blocked quickly during peak travel dates with corresponding wait times... especially when ID.4 and F150 lightning and MachE are hitting the streets in larger volumes

- crappy coverage away from interstates... for e.g. the amount of fast chargers listed on the Ford site between Dallas-Ft Worth and Amarillo ... *zero*

Ford will do *everything* in their power to make you *not* order the barebone "commercial grade" version for $40k.
The XLT with 230 miles range but $52k starting price (lane keep assist is extra ; larger infotainment screen is extra) isn't such a good deal anymore... once you go to 300 miles range battery + 1 or 2 extras you are above $60k. If Tesla can keep promised CT specs... the CT will offer a lot more for less. an XLT trim F150 is anything but fancy.

Have you sat or test driven a 2021 XLT Trim in any of the current engine configurations? I think you are underestimating the XLT trim based on the past XLT's. As far as the CT, the specs are still unclear and that interior needs to be improved. I suspect Ford is working on another trim to rival the Trim-Motor CT.

Have you sat or test driven a 2021 XLT Trim in any of the current engine configurations? I think you are underestimating the XLT trim based on the past XLT's. As far as the CT, the specs are still unclear and that interior needs to be improved. I suspect Ford is working on another trim to rival the Trim-Motor CT.

I used to own a 2015 F150 Lariat ... not familiar with the latest gen but *not* having lane keep assist / adaptive cruise control standard on the XLT Lightning and cloth seats kinda kills it for me. Once you add the larger battery + adaptive cruise control/lane keep and potentially "vegan leather"... you are above $60k.

For folks that have placed a reservation, what are the reasons that you'd actually make the decision to buy vs a CT?

Are the reasons purely subjective? If so, great, as beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

If not, what are the top objective reasons that you'd buy the Lightning over a CT?

I'm curious if there are any objective reasons that folks have.

For me, I have subjective reasons I'd rather have a more traditional looking truck. But the objective reasons WAY outweigh the subjective negative reasons.

For instance, I'd so much rather have more towing capacity and payload as I haul heavy wood and soil to and from my property twice a year. That hauling is spendy when I have to hire it out.

Range of the CT Trimotor is the next huge win as I am really looking forward to going out into the deep woods where there are no superchargers or chargers of any kind.

Next big win is the scratch-proof exterior. I'm not the most patient with twigs and branches on FM roads.

And finally, FSD is going to be amazing so there's that.

Did I mention price? Looks like CT Trimotor will be about ~$10k cheaper

For folks that have placed a reservation, what are the reasons that you'd actually make the decision to buy vs a CT?

Are the reasons purely subjective? If so, great, as beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

If not, what are the top objective reasons that you'd buy the Lightning over a CT?

I'm curious if there are any objective reasons that folks have.

For me, I have subjective reasons I'd rather have a more traditional looking truck. But the objective reasons WAY outweigh the subjective negative reasons.

For instance, I'd so much rather have more towing capacity and payload as I haul heavy wood and soil to and from my property twice a year. That hauling is spendy when I have to hire it out.

Range of the CT Trimotor is the next huge win as I am really looking forward to going out into the deep woods where there are no superchargers or chargers of any kind.

Next big win is the scratch-proof exterior. I'm not the most patient with twigs and branches on FM roads.

And finally, FSD is going to be amazing so there's that.

Did I mention price? Looks like CT Trimotor will be about ~$10k cheaper

#1 - Safety, the moment Elon said the CT was Bulletproof he basically gave a green light to Vandalize that truck. If we think Teslas are vandalized a lot now, just wait until some try out those "bulletproof" windows and Stainless Steel.

#2 - When will the CT non Tri-Motor come out. Elon seems more concerned about the first Model Y's coming out of Texas

#3 - I did not order a Tri-Motor, so the F150 is right in line with the Dual Motor

#4- Having test driven several 21 ICE F-150, the ride and comfort on these are amazing

#5- Experience building Trucks and their dealer network. Granted I am hoping to never see their dealer as much as I have seen Tesla Service.

#6- The interior in the F-150 is what I want in a $60k Truck. I can only imagine how quite it's going to be in the EV. You can barely hear any road noise in the ICE.

Speaking of price, I am hoping the CT price stays the same, with Steel prices rising I'm not sure if those prices will hold. For me it's a matter of what comes out first, Tesla or F-150. I have reservations for both, but I am way down the list on the CT. If anything I'll get an F150m drive it around for a couple of years and when my CT reservation comes up I can get that.

#1 - Safety, the moment Elon said the CT was Bulletproof he basically gave a green light to Vandalize that truck. If we think Teslas are vandalized a lot now, just wait until some try out those "bulletproof" windows and Stainless Steel.

#2 - When will the CT non Tri-Motor come out. Elon seems more concerned about the first Model Y's coming out of Texas

#3 - I did not order a Tri-Motor, so the F150 is right in line with the Dual Motor

#4- Having test driven several 21 ICE F-150, the ride and comfort on these are amazing

#5- Experience building Trucks and their dealer network. Granted I am hoping to never see their dealer as much as I have seen Tesla Service.

#6- The interior in the F-150 is what I want in a $60k Truck. I can only imagine how quite it's going to be in the EV. You can barely hear any road noise in the ICE.

Speaking of price, I am hoping the CT price stays the same, with Steel prices rising I'm not sure if those prices will hold. For me it's a matter of what comes out first, Tesla or F-150. I have reservations for both, but I am way down the list on the CT. If anything I'll get an F150m drive it around for a couple of years and when my CT reservation comes up I can get that.
Of all of those, I think the quiet piece is my biggest interest. Maybe others don't care as much, but it is nice cruising noiseless. Wonder if the refresh S's noise cancelling might make it into CT?

Of all of those, I think the quiet piece is my biggest interest. Maybe others don't care as much, but it is nice cruising noiseless. Wonder if the refresh S's noise cancelling might make it into CT?

I'm hoping everything in the S's interior refresh makes it into the CT to be honest, maybe not the passenger screen but at least the instrument cluster. I don't really need a 6 seater so an optional Center Console would be nice also. But I'm sure the CT will continue to evolve as the years go by.