Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 2019.12.1.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far the biggest issue I've had is phantom braking. Driving down the road on cruise and suddenly it throws on the brakes but there is nothing there.

Doesn't happen too often and I never thought it was dangerous. Just annoying.
Happens all the time to me. I drive using standard AP ALOT in the city. I stay very aware and I do it for Tesla to get data.. I wanna do my part if it is actually helping?

Reactions: electrictorque
Sure, but in over four months of having the Model 3, this is the first it’s done this. I shouldn't have to open the Tesla app to get into the car.

On a third trip today, I realized it wasn't a “having to do it twice” thing. I repeatedly pulled the driver’s handle to no effect. I had to pop the rear passenger door to wake it up (and this was after having opened and closed the trunk).

It’s weird, when I first bought my 3 last summer I could just have my phone in my pocket and the app didn’t have to be open to open the door. Now I have to at least launch the app in the morning before I head to the car for it to open. It’s been this way for months and I thought it might actually be a safety feature because if the app wasn’t open but My phone was still in range of the car, anyone could open the door and potentially start the car and drive off.

Sure, but in over four months of having the Model 3, this is the first it’s done this. I shouldn't have to open the Tesla app to get into the car.

On a third trip today, I realized it wasn't a “having to do it twice” thing. I repeatedly pulled the driver’s handle to no effect. I had to pop the rear passenger door to wake it up (and this was after having opened and closed the trunk).
The first thing I do in the morning before I leave is unplug the car to start driving. In every case Teslafi has put the car to sleep for the night. If I open the Tesla app on my way out usually the charge port is unlocked by the time I get to the car. Alternatively I can step over the charge cable and unlock the car with my phone in my pocket open the door and go back to the charge port and unplug.

Not sure if I have a setting wrong, but my car will never open when I walk up to it and press the driver door handle. I typically use the phone app as primary key.

Any suggestions M3 owners or is this accurate?

Some questions:
  • How do you get in, then? It sounds like it's not working at all, in which case you'd need to use the key card or a key fob, and you really are not using the phone as a key -- just trying to do so. Is this correct, or does it eventually work? If it eventually works, what makes it work -- time, multiple handle pulls, opening the app, etc.?
  • Once you gain entry, does the phone suffice to let you drive, or do you need to tap the key card to the center console to enable driving?
  • Is this problem new to Tesla's 2019.12.x software, or has it existed in previous versions, too?
  • What brand and model of phone do you have?
  • What Android or iOS version are you running on the phone?
  • Is Bluetooth always enabled on the phone, or is it managed in some way to preserve battery life?
  • Have you paired the phone and set it up as a key? (Those are two distinct, but related, operations.)

On the interstate it kept reacting to the car in the right lane. There appears to be a real issue with camera vs radar.

1. It will go to pass a vehicle, when it is almost up to the rear corner of the vehicle it will suddenly decide that it needs to get out of the passing lane. It wants to brake and get back behind the vehicle it was just about to pass. I assume it was close enough that it no longer appeared on the front radar, and it forgot that it was going to pass...

2. Passing cars in a lane to the right, it will suddenly turn a car in the right lane black and slow down to speed match it. It clearly shows a lane line between us. This is probably related to the radar/camera separation again. I was on an interstate with 3 or 4 lanes in each direction when this was happening. I was in one of the middle lanes and was moving along fine (it was not an autopilot automatic passing situation) when all the sudden it decided that a car in a lane to the right of me was the one it was going to turn black and sync speeds with, applying the brakes suddenly.

On 12.1 anyone else experiencing much lower efficiency upon navigating to a Supercharger? Lower efficiency is expected since it's trying to warm up the battery but I was surprised by how much. The battery was cold soaked around roughly 60 F. I can't imagine how low efficiency would be if it was cold soaked at 20 F or lower. Definitely provides quicker ramp times on Superchargers, but I'm hoping they will have a feature where you can opt out of on route battery warmup. Don't get me wrong, super happy they added this feature, but I'm not sure it's necessary 100% of the time.

On 12.1 anyone else experiencing much lower efficiency upon navigating to a Supercharger? Lower efficiency is expected since it's trying to warm up the battery but I was surprised by how much. The battery was cold soaked around roughly 60 F. I can't imagine how low efficiency would be if it was cold soaked at 20 F or lower. Definitely provides quicker ramp times on Superchargers, but I'm hoping they will have a feature where you can opt out of on route battery warmup. Don't get me wrong, super happy they added this feature, but I'm not sure it's necessary 100% of the time.

Running the motor in heater mode uses about 6KW so it makes sense that will make a big impact on efficiency.

In an effort to get this thread back on track of talking about 12.1.2 instead of arguing over features that haven't been released yet...

I've already had an issue with this release.

I, too, got 12.1.2 last night. This morning, on my first drive, I got a "Cruise Unavailable" warning and thereafter neither TACC nor AP were available. The only time I've EVER had that before was when the front bumper was covered with snow and ice (a situation that Tesla apparently doesn't care enough to fix, other than some cryptic "put some hydrophobic coating somewhere on the car" tweets from Elon).

The conditions this morning were 60 degrees and a very light rain / mist. I cannot imagine how that would have caused an issue with the TACC.

Anyone else had this today?
The 12.1.2 build has been rock solid for me so far. Many past nuisances addressed.

I’ve seen the same message where my car sees an object in its path. Or thinks it sees something. Always clears itself in short order.

Maybe not a firmware issue.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Autopilot crashed on me twice last night including once when a lane split into 3, couldn’t reenable until I rebooted using the wheel buttons. I got the red “take over now” hands and the surrounding cars disappeared on the screen, while the second time it seemed to crash silently (at that time I wasn’t on AP and just noticed that I couldn’t enable it and the cars around me disappeared). Haven’t seen any other new issues so far other than that I can’t seem to manually turn off the dash cam (had the same issue in 12.1.1).