Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.3 - basic charging scheduling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, allowed myself to update to 4.3 this weekend when received the notification on Saturday, attempting to be optimistic given the feedback that Fremont has had on the software. Unfortunately, door handle issue occurred; also, random times when head/tail lights illuminate when car parked; reset of the center screen randomly occurred whilst driving. Tesla service San Diego - great guys, Chip and Eric - send out ranger to do the software compatibility check; unfortunately, I was told it still needs a patch, although turning off the handle auto-present and walk away lock allowed me to lock the car through the key fob, and stopped the outside lights from going on and off randomly. Didn't experience the center screen reset when driving. So this still seems to be an issue with some of the cars, and the software still needs some tweaks. No ETA for the patch, however.

Just returned from the week long road trip, and installed the new .40 firmware that presented itself on day 2 of the trip. We were having a little block party with the neighbors, with the garage door open, and sure enough, the parking and tail lights kept coming on and turning off every few minutes, and the door handles and LED lights were staying extended/on. I've rebooted the center stack and few minutes ago, but I'm guessing this will require a Ranger to update the security module as mentioned previously. Good thing Tesla is scheduled to pick the car up Monday morning to swap incorrect dash material and look at other annoyances that the car has.

Still waiting for v4.3 (getting tired of waiting up until midnight to plug in, but I've been getting lots of Tiger Woods 2014 time in on the Xbox), but I have a question on the scheduled charging. After scheduled charging is set, is it smart enough to know not to charge any other time? My concern is that if I leave it plugged in for a week long vacation, eventually the car will attempt to top-off from the vampire loss. Will these top-off events happen at the scheduled charge time?

Still waiting for v4.3 (getting tired of waiting up until midnight to plug in, but I've been getting lots of Tiger Woods 2014 time in on the Xbox), but I have a question on the scheduled charging. After scheduled charging is set, is it smart enough to know not to charge any other time? My concern is that if I leave it plugged in for a week long vacation, eventually the car will attempt to top-off from the vampire loss. Will these top-off events happen at the scheduled charge time?

I think so. The release note say if you don't plug in within 6 hours of the allotted time then it'll wait until the next allotted time. So, if you picked 10pm then it should stop pulling charge at 4am and wait until 10pm to pull again.

The notes are written assuming you're out for a night on the town and get home late, but presumably it'd work for the "away for the week" scenario.

I'm still noticing under 4.3 that my auto headlights stay on continuously every once in a while in broad daylight. Once they do this they just stay on for the rest of the drive 'til the car is turned off. Tough to trouble shoot since it only happens every so often. Anyone else?

I'm still noticing under 4.3 that my auto headlights stay on continuously every once in a while in broad daylight. Once they do this they just stay on for the rest of the drive 'til the car is turned off. Tough to trouble shoot since it only happens every so often. Anyone else?

I think this may be on purpose. HID (Xenon) lamps are life limited by on/off cycles (specifically cold on/off cycles) versus burn time. So you really don't want your lamps turning on and off all the time. So if you lamps turn on they should stay lit, at least until they are fully heated up. In Atlanta we have so many wide bridges over the interstate around down town I see people's lights go on and off a whole lot. I cringe about burning down their HIDs.

I cringe whenever I flash my lights when they are not already on. As my car kicks on the HIDs then off in a second. Really bad for lamp life.

I think this may be on purpose. HID (Xenon) lamps are life limited by on/off cycles (specifically cold on/off cycles) versus burn time.

I did not know that! Interesting thought. The only reason I think this might NOT be the case is the lights always go on when I start the car in the garage. They generally go off when I exit the garage in daylight. The 3 or 4 times they've come on and stayed on were all in daylight when the car was started. Not in the garage.

Mine go on and off so much, I'm worried about shortening the life of the bulb (I'm still on 4.2). This morning, it was a little foggy on my way in, and they were going on and off as usual, so I manually turned them on from the touchscreen. Later, when it cleared up I switched them back to "Auto" but noticed they stayed on until I got to work and shut the car off, even in full broad daylight.

I think this may be on purpose. HID (Xenon) lamps are life limited by on/off cycles (specifically cold on/off cycles) versus burn time. So you really don't want your lamps turning on and off all the time. So if you lamps turn on they should stay lit, at least until they are fully heated up. In Atlanta we have so many wide bridges over the interstate around down town I see people's lights go on and off a whole lot. I cringe about burning down their HIDs.
As Todd mentioned the bulbs are covered by the maintenance plan.

But also to add that modern HIDs are MUCH better about this than the early versions. I have aftermarket HIDs in my Roadster. It flashes the headlights for a few seconds every time you unlock the car. I use this car as my daily driver and have had the same bulbs and ballasts since November, 2010 with no problems at all. And these cost $45 with the bulb and ballast included so not exactly high end.

Just use your lights when you need them and don't worry.

Does it say that (it may, and I might have missed it)? Usually "consumables" are not covered in warranty and/or maintenance plans, but Tesla does specifically mention wiper blades, so who knows. I just didn't notice bulbs mentioned.

I took the "wiper blades" to be just an example of the type of things supplied, not the only thing. Bulbs should be covered as well as brake pads and other consumables..

I recieved 4.3 (.45) yesterday and updated. To date my car has not had any issues AT ALL and 4.3 is continuing the trend. I do enjoy the more accurate rated range readings on the dash. It is much closer to the 1:1 ratio of miles driven to range used.

Updated to 4.3 (.45) today with no issues. The only issue that I've had from the 4.1 days through 4.2, that of intermittent "Service TPMS" errors during quick road surface transitions at speed, hasn't gone away as I encountered it on a short drive right after the update when bouncing through a trough on the freeway.

Those keeping score, 4.3 (.45) update popped up for me around 8 pm tonight, VIN 04080. Installed with no issues, headed up to the service center tomorrow to have headlights adjusted and TPMS reset for summer tires, so I'm hoping if any issues creep up, they can take care of it.

All -

Got and installed the update Tuesday night - driven 1 day with it and no problems..... Now only "loosing" 5-6 rated miles overnight (12 hours) vs. about 15 before!

Aaron

Last edited: