Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 4.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone know for sure if the superchargers are wired for telematics?
Regardless of whether the Superchargers themselves are wired for telematics, the car it's charging certainly is, so the car's firmware could register a given SC as in-use. Don't know if the car can tell precisely which SC at a location it's connected to, but worst case you could register "7 of 8 SC's at Harris Ranch in use".

- Bill

- - - Updated - - -

We will probably need a 4G connection for that. As it stands now, the map refresh while driving down the highway can barely keep up. Refreshes to maintain north while turning are an equal challenge on a 3G connection.
All this data can (and should) be cached. If I download the full Google Maps database to my phone for much of the Bay Area it only runs about 50MB of data, and that includes the full Point of Interest database. You could certainly download 10MB chunks (less than a minute on an average HSDPA+ connection) as needed, and you'd have full map data for miles around you.

- Bill

My software update started 10 minutes ago. I hope it's 4.5, or I will be disappointing you all :). Not done yet, but will check in another 10 minutes and update you.

- - - Updated - - -

Bummer. Sorry guys, it's v4.4. 1.31.11. Not sure why I'm just receiving this now, as I was told that rollout was stopped. Will post this info on the 4.4 thread if the detailed version number seems new.

100% should correspond to what is currently a standard charge. 110% should be range charge. This helps people understand that they should normally charge to standard, and that range charge is for special circumstances. If people are supposed to understand that they should normally charge to 93% or something, that will never work.

I like the 110%. Just like our audio systems go to 11. (Spinal Tap reference.)

100% should correspond to what is currently a standard charge. 110% should be range charge. This helps people understand that they should normally charge to standard, and that range charge is for special circumstances. If people are supposed to understand that they should normally charge to 93% or something, that will never work.
Like this. People like to see a 'full' battery. And charging to 110% naturally implies that it's not a good thing to do repeatedly.

You could also argue people like Broder could then say 'I didn't know such a thing as 110% of a battery existed so I didn't fully charge the battery for my trip and ran out'. As long as they make it clear charging up to 100% is intended for trips I think most people will be fine.

You could also argue people like Broder could then say 'I didn't know such a thing as 110% of a battery existed so I didn't fully charge the battery for my trip and ran out'. As long as they make it clear charging up to 100% is intended for trips I think most people will be fine.

Presumably the gauge would look something like: ---------|-- Even Broder couldn't miss it.

FYI, on TM forum one of the new 40's has been delivered and states that it came with 4.5 firmware.
Interesting. I would suppose it would need something new to do the software limiting of the 60 to 40. Unless its always been there. But I think 4.4 was available before the announcement was even made. In any case, it cant be very far away. While I really like the new % slider for charge, I know I'm goin to wait to let others test it out. I (knock on wood) have had zero issues with 4.4. I secretly worry about the upgrade process driving some of the oddities people have run into.

I'm not fond of the "110%" idea. It dilutes the idea of what those percentages mean. Is 110% max? Or could it be 125%? Is over 100% bad? When and why?

It also moves the management of what's "good" for the car/pack from the intelligence the designers built in to the driver somewhat. The previous "range charge" method felt better in that regard.

Or perhaps something along the lines of a "long distance" mode that defaults to full charge, as well throttling the cabin HVAC, etc... The driver can over-ride the defaults on a temporary basis if needed (i.e. a particularly hot day), but the "starting point" for distance mode gives you the best chance of going the farthest the car can manage. This could even include additional feedback in the dash displays regarding KWh usage and speed: perhaps a shaded color area on the speedo that shows you what the most economical driving speed is for current conditions.

Ideally, I like the idea telling the car what we want to actually do: "Go farther than normal", as opposed to figuring out the nuts and bolts of of what it takes to make the car do that. After all people don't really want "more charge in their battery". What they really want is "to get to grandma's house 250 miles away". Let the engineers figure that out and apply sensible settings and display appropriate feedback to help them reach their goals. All while allowing overrides ("Advanced Options" menu etc...) for the person who want/cares to manage such things.