Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8.6/7/8/9/10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got the ota update to 5.8.8 y'all, I'll let you know how it is to be up and running in the latest and the greatest.

Joking aside, I finally gave in (after having it offered to me ota over the weekend), even though all I heard was downsides to 5.8.8 and the other recent release, but 5.8.10 hasn't seemed to have too many complaints. So I figured what the hell, I'll take this ota update, everyone's getting 5.8.10 now, so that's what it should be...

But, I got 5.8.8... Hopefully with less bugs than have been reported. Not sure why I got 5.8.8 at the time others were getting 5.8.10...wouldn't have updated if I knew it was 5.8.8... What the hell method are they using? Maybe they do need to be updated in order.

Luckily I have a previously arranged appointment at the service center this week if it does act funny.

When you get the update notice your car has already downloaded the new image. Once the car has an image downloaded, it won't download a new one until the first has been installed. Thus, if you receive an update notice and then delay it for an extended period of time, you're going to install an older version. Newer than what you had been running, but older than the most current.

When you get the update notice your car has already downloaded the new image. Once the car has an image downloaded, it won't download a new one until the first has been installed. Thus, if you receive an update notice and then delay it for an extended period of time, you're going to install an older version. Newer than what you had been running, but older than the most current.
I got the notice Friday.... It wasnt that extended of a period.... And long after 5.8.10 had been dropping. I'm just curious to the method of the madness. Maybe it's by type of car. Maybe it's 3 different background settings they are testing. Or. Perhaps they really end up so far behind distributing it that some get offered the version that is 2 updates behind the time.

I've had 5.8.8 for a few days now. One bug fix I've noticed is, prior to this release, when I was mid phone (Nokia 1020 Windows Phone) conversation and entered the car, it would transfer the audio from handset to car bluetooth, but then it would randomly bounce back between car bluetooth and handset. Since 5.8.8, it stopped doing that.

Slacker works just as well as it did prior to installing 5.8.10. It lost all previous searches, but new ones work.

Fabio and anyone else on 5.8.10, can you confirm if Slacker works for you? Since I got 5.8.10 on Wednesday last week, Slacker's become pretty much useless; buffers forever and never plays anything. Contacted ownership who said that they haven't heard any other complaints about this but, I'd like to put that down to very few folks having 5.8.10.

Internet connectivity from the car is just fine. Maps, TuneIn work fine.

First, the Tesla-created Slacker account started throwing login errors. I then signed up for a Slacker Premium account but, no dice; got past the login problems but, that's about it. The account works perfectly for me from the iPhone app and I can play playlists nicely through Bluetooth.

Reboot didn't fix the problem.

Please confirm.

In my 2 days with 5.8.8 I had no issues. While I was getting a tire swapped today, they updated me to 5.8.10. i didnt specifically ask for it, they just did it. So, that means they aren't specifically doing certain versions to certain cars... I really wonder why some are still receiving 5.8.8 when others are getting 5.8.10.

I got 5.8.10 overnight.

I wish Tesla would not include 5.8 release notes in 5.8.10. If the 5.8.10 release notes consist of one sentence only, then that is fine. Padding 5.8.10's release notes with 99.9999% content from older releases is a waste.

Tesla if you're reading this, c'mon, do the right thing.

In my 2 days with 5.8.8 I had no issues. While I was getting a tire swapped today, they updated me to 5.8.10. i didnt specifically ask for it, they just did it. So, that means they aren't specifically doing certain versions to certain cars... I really wonder why some are still receiving 5.8.8 when others are getting 5.8.10.

My theory remains that once the car begins to download a firmware image it will continue to download that version even if a newer one is released in the interim. At 3G speeds the system is likely designed to do a very slow pull as to not interfere with other data services in the car in addition to being nice to the network.

Once an image is downloaded the user receives the install notice. The car won't download a different version until the one it has already downloaded had been installed.

My guess is on wifi the car will download the image as fast as it can.

My theory, anyway.

My theory remains that once the car begins to download a firmware image it will continue to download that version even if a newer one is released in the interim. At 3G speeds the system is likely designed to do a very slow pull as to not interfere with other data services in the car in addition to being nice to the network.

Once an image is downloaded the user receives the install notice. The car won't download a different version until the one it has already downloaded had been installed.

My guess is on wifi the car will download the image as fast as it can.

My theory, anyway.

well.. it sits on wifi in my garage, so I don't know why it would have been slow rolling downloading 5.8.8 for a few weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

I've been having Slacker problems too. I'm on 5.8.8. Don't know if it's the firmware, 3G reception, or Slacker itself.

- - - Updated - - -

Is anyone else annoyed that 5.8.10 is numerically LESS than 5.8.8??

In software speak, 5.8.10 is more than 5.8.8 ... in number speak, you can't have two decimals.

Installed 5.8.10 last evening. Couldn't wake the car with the iPhone app today. It woke up fine opening the doors, but I was unable to turn A/C on remotely. I'll try again later after it had time to go back to sleep.

Just got 5.8.10 this morning. Interesting side note - I'm not sure if it all downloaded through wifi or if some of it went through 3G, but my router collects per-IP stats and reports the car downloaded 237 MB. It typically downloads about 200-800 KB a day.

I'm on 5.8.8 and my Slacker has been slacking lately, as well. Typically plays a song or two, then a half of a second of a song starts and then it stops. Sometimes for a minute. Sometimes until I tell it to play something else. I've rebooted both screens at least 2 times.

Also, I'm not sure exactly when this behavior changed, but I noticed last night that if you have a door open and the car in gear, the emergency brake will engage about a second after you lift your foot off the brake pedal. I sometimes hop in and let my car roll back (with driver door still ajar) a couple feet in the garage so I can access the frunk. Not any more. Startled me, as I had the music up so I didn't hear the brake engage and the abrupt stop felt like I hit something. Probably a good change.. but would be nice to know when little changes like this are made.

I'm on 5.8.8 and my Slacker has been slacking lately, as well. Typically plays a song or two, then a half of a second of a song starts and then it stops. Sometimes for a minute. Sometimes until I tell it to play something else. I've rebooted both screens at least 2 times.

Also, I'm not sure exactly when this behavior changed, but I noticed last night that if you have a door open and the car in gear, the emergency brake will engage about a second after you lift your foot off the brake pedal. I sometimes hop in and let my car roll back (with driver door still ajar) a couple feet in the garage so I can access the frunk. Not any more. Startled me, as I had the music up so I didn't hear the brake engage and the abrupt stop felt like I hit something. Probably a good change.. but would be nice to know when little changes like this are made.

To clarify; you can't put the car in reverse and roll back a few feet while the door is still open without the emergency brake engaging?