Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8.6/7/8/9/10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW, I haven't had any major issues with Slacker beyond an occasional buffering in known poor reception areas (and occasional is truly occasional -- only 2 in the last month or so). But I also had changed the quality setting to the lower of the 2 settings last summer -- prior to then, I had buffering and song skip issues all the time. I also can't tell the quality difference (although I've noticed about 10% of Slacker's library is really horrible quality recordings...)...

I'm now on 5.8.10 for the last week (updated while in for service on 2/27)... Was previously on 5.8.4 from early Jan...

Also, I'm not sure exactly when this behavior changed, but I noticed last night that if you have a door open and the car in gear, the emergency brake will engage about a second after you lift your foot off the brake pedal. I sometimes hop in and let my car roll back (with driver door still ajar) a couple feet in the garage so I can access the frunk. Not any more. Startled me, as I had the music up so I didn't hear the brake engage and the abrupt stop felt like I hit something. Probably a good change.. but would be nice to know when little changes like this are made.

I'm willing to bet your butt wasn't firmly planted in the seat. I just confirmed the new version didn't change this -- I can back up the car with the door open without an issue. The car likely went into park because it didn't detect enough weight in the middle of the seat. I've done that before when I try to roll the car back a little because I don't sit IN the seat, I sit on the side of it. Or I sort of get up out of the seat while I'm turning my head back and to the left.

I'm willing to bet your butt wasn't firmly planted in the seat. I just confirmed the new version didn't change this -- I can back up the car with the door open without an issue. The car likely went into park because it didn't detect enough weight in the middle of the seat. I've done that before when I try to roll the car back a little because I don't sit IN the seat, I sit on the side of it. Or I sort of get up out of the seat while I'm turning my head back and to the left.

I backup with the door open every day. I park on the left side of a one way street and open the drivers door to get close, but not too close, to the curb as I back into my parallel parking spot.

I backup with the door open every day. I park on the left side of a one way street and open the drivers door to get close, but not too close, to the curb as I back into my parallel parking spot.
I find that using the tilt-on-reverse setting for the side mirrors, I can see the curb and my rear wheel easily. Much less bother than opening the door. (I live on the left side of a one-way street, so I get lots of practice with this maneuver.)

It's set to 50. Before 5.8.4 I always got 40 amps. After the update that everyone was pushed in December (the "recall update") I automatically got switched down to 30 amps within 30 minutes of starting a charge. Now with 5.8.8 I hot right to 16 amps, and though it charged last night to my predetermined level my charging circle was red this morning...

Sorry if this has been solved. I've had charging issues 40 dropping to 30 all the time, and just got update 5.8.8. I haven't read this forum in a couple of months and am trying to catch up. I had this problem (16 amps) because (I assume) only 1 of the 2 hot wires were connecting. I checked my charge before going to bed with iPhone app to see the rate. Went out to car, and found I hadn't plugged in the cable good enough. As soon as it was properly inserted, charging went to 30.

this may be related, i discovered a few months ago, sorry don't remember the release version but, at some point tm augmented the auto-stop feature to include the seatbelt sensor. i used to be able to hop in the car and back out of the garage, shifting slightly in my seat to see, with no issues, and i would buckle my seatbelt as i went forward down the street. but after this change the seat sensor became much more sensitive and i would trigger auto-stop almost every time. for a while i made sure to mash my butt squarely in the seat as i backed up, but this was frankly not too doable because the sensitivity really did go up appreciably and even a slight reduction in pressure on the seat triggered the safety. i mentioned this to sarah in la service when i was there for something else (12k i think) and she said, 'did you have your seatbelt buckled?' i said no, but that it had not been an issue before. after that conversation, i began buckling my seatbelt first thing before reversing, and no issues since. not once has the auto-stop triggered and i do what i've always done in terms of shifting about to look at mirrors, etc. so, i concluded that they upped the sensitivity of the seat sensor and coupled the trigger with the seatbelt so that it's much more sensitive to seat shifting when the belt isn't on. fwiw.

Sorry if this has been solved. I've had charging issues 40 dropping to 30 all the time, and just got update 5.8.8. I haven't read this forum in a couple of months and am trying to catch up. I had this problem (16 amps) because (I assume) only 1 of the 2 hot wires were connecting. I checked my charge before going to bed with iPhone app to see the rate. Went out to car, and found I hadn't plugged in the cable good enough. As soon as it was properly inserted, charging went to 30.

YES!

Plug the car in with a good extra push. Some cables are more difficult. My wife, who is a foot shorter than I am, has no trouble getting the cable to seat properly, while I obviously push it in at an elevated angle and it seems to seat but doesn't - not...quite.... Make sure the ring is dark blue if you are time charging. I can usually push the cable in another 16th inch, and then it seats and charges well. It will charge off one leg of 220 (that's 110). It's just slow.

Actually it won't charge off of one leg of 220 since the neutral line on the 220v adapter is not hooked up. It's probably detecting the poor connection and reducing the current because of that. I just went to check my car before heading to San Francisco and found it had not charged because I didn't plug it in all the way. Thankfully with my HPWC it will be fully charged in time.

Plug the car in with a good extra push. Some cables are more difficult. My wife, who is a foot shorter than I am, has no trouble getting the cable to seat properly, while I obviously push it in at an elevated angle and it seems to seat but doesn't - not...quite.... Make sure the ring is dark blue if you are time charging. I can usually push the cable in another 16th inch, and then it seats and charges well. It will charge off one leg of 220 (that's 110). It's just slow.

Push in slowly and listen for two clicks. Works every time.

Thanks. And yes. The next day I was back up to 40 amps too. Last night it self dropped down back to 30, but I haven't heard ever seen the lowly 16 again... Thanks.!

Thanks. And yes. The next day I was back up to 40 amps too. Last night it self dropped down back to 30, but I haven't heard ever seen the lowly 16 again... Thanks.!

Take the 14-50 plug off the UMC cable and look for signs of melting on both pieces. If there are any signs of melting call your service center. Mine has not reduced charging current since our UMC was replaced.

Firmware v6 Release Date Rumor

Picked my S85 up form service on Monday. The Service Center manager suggested that we'd get another 5.x point release in the next 2-3 weeks, and that v6 would be another month+ out from that... so perhaps May?

(incidentally I got 5.8.10 when at service)

[On Edit: I Specifically started a new thread with this, as the thread topic here is v. 5.x firmware... yet the mods decided to move my post to a thread where it's not on-topic :confused:]

Last edited: