Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8.6/7/8/9/10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So your contacts still work, just now it asks before loading them?

My contacts no longer work. It just hangs on the "Loading" screen. I'm not sure whether it is because of this upgrade or our Exchange Server upgrade, both of which occurred at the same time. If no one else is experiencing this issue with 5.8.8 it is probably the latter, although the contacts on my Nexus 5 appear to be exactly the same as it was before the Exchange upgrade.

My contacts no longer work. It just hangs on the "Loading" screen. I'm not sure whether it is because of this upgrade or our Exchange Server upgrade, both of which occurred at the same time. If no one else is experiencing this issue with 5.8.8 it is probably the latter, although the contacts on my Nexus 5 appear to be exactly the same as it was before the Exchange upgrade.

I have a nexus 5. Once I get the update I will test it and let you know.

I find it strange that neither my service center or Tesla ownership can tell me what is in the latest software download. I have e-mailed them and the service center says they do not know and the response from ownership is to go into the tesla t and it will tell me the current version and what is in the next version. I do not find this to be true. It seems strange that no one knows what they are pushing.

This is BS... after they took away the "low" suspension setting w/o telling us that was the intent of the update I'm not going to approve another update until I know what the update contains. I propose an update boycott until Tesla tells us exactly what it is that the update is supposed to do.

This should be a simple thing to do, you get the clock, click on it and it tells you what is in it. Then you download it with full knowledge of what it consists of. Do it like update on an Apple, click on it and it give you what the update consists of, does not sound like brain surgery.

I find it strange that neither my service center or Tesla ownership can tell me what is in the latest software download. I have e-mailed them and the service center says they do not know and the response from ownership is to go into the tesla t and it will tell me the current version and what is in the next version. I do not find this to be true. It seems strange that no one knows what they are pushing.
I have not had my car very long but as far as I know this (the underlined comment) has NEVER been the case. Like you, I would really like to know what it is I am accepting when I click on the download now link. Since there is no going back after the fact it seems very important to know in advance what is going to happen. The only way to avoid a "gotcha" is to wait a couple of weeks after everyone else has applied it before making the decision yourself. My confidence in Tesla was very seriously eroded after 5.8. I will not trust them again until they prove themselves to be trustworthy.

I have not had my car very long but as far as I know this (the underlined comment) has NEVER been the case. Like you, I would really like to know what it is I am accepting when I click on the download now link. Since there is no going back after the fact it seems very important to know in advance what is going to happen. The only way to avoid a "gotcha" is to wait a couple of weeks after everyone else has applied it before making the decision yourself. My confidence in Tesla was very seriously eroded after 5.8. I will not trust them again until they prove themselves to be trustworthy.

I've never seen "What's in the next version" either, but I don't believe Tesla is any worse than any other software company--with the exception the release notes (minimum of the bullet points) that should be available before upgrading. Upgrading any kind of software on the release date, even if there are notes, is not recommended unless it's a security patch or the user is experiencing a problem that the release fixes.

I've never seen "What's in the next version" either, but I don't believe Tesla is any worse than any other software company--with the exception the release notes (minimum of the bullet points) that should be available before upgrading.

Agree. Standard practice is that your notification says something along the lines of "A new version of your software is available, would you like to install? Click for details." In many respects Tesla has been a disrupter, in this case there's really no argument for not adopting standard practice.

Agree. Standard practice is that your notification says something along the lines of "A new version of your software is available, would you like to install? Click for details." In many respects Tesla has been a disrupter, in this case there's really no argument for not adopting standard practice.

Wrong. Standard practice for your iPhone is as stated. Standard practice for automobiles is that you bring your car in for service, and software update is installed if available or required. You may get arcane notes on your service bill indicating what was in release, or you may need to go to a forum or online source for TSBs and piece things together.

The practice you state is common for phone/computer software. Come to think of it, when my TiVO, my Nest thermostat, my ROKU, or many of my other software-driven devices download a new release, they say nothing - sometimes don't even ask.

The reason we all think this is "standard" is that it is common for the software we interact with the most: phone and computer software.

Not saying that I don't agree… I believe Tesla Motors should absolutely provide release preview and improve release notes to include more details and content. But it is wrong to say that it is "standard" practices, particularly for automotive and other embedded software devices. "Best", yes. "Standard", no.

I don't think of my Teslas as just "cars", it's more advanced consumer electronics; guess that's why I call update info standard practice.

OK so I took a poll of my advanced network-connected consumer electronics...

Provides preview of release info, requires acceptance of update: Mac, iPad, iPhone, and most associated software
Does not preview release info, but requires acceptance of update: Tesla Model S
Does not preview release info, automagically updates: ADT Alarm System, Nest Thermostat, TiVO, Roku, OOMA

Some do, some don't. My only point is this: even for consumer electronics, it is NOT standard to require approval for update, nor to provide advance release notes.
What you are using as a comparator is computers, tablets, smartphones… which I agree provide best practices that Tesla should emulate.

Makes me wonder why they don't… as there's usually some reason for these things (even if we may not agree with it). They're clearly not stupid, so there's something.

Some do, some don't. My only point is this: even for consumer electronics, it is NOT standard to require approval for update, nor to provide advance release notes.
What you are using as a comparator is computers, tablets, smartphones… which I agree provide best practices that Tesla should emulate.

Makes me wonder why they don't… as there's usually some reason for these things (even if we may not agree with it). They're clearly not stupid, so there's something.
I'm not a tech guy, but as a layperson I would think it must create unneeded complexity to have to support cars running many different versions of the firmware. It's bad enough the firmware has to work on different variations of hardware as Tesla improved parts as they went along.

I'm not a tech guy, but as a layperson I would think it must create unneeded complexity to have to support cars running many different versions of the firmware. It's bad enough the firmware has to work on different variations of hardware as Tesla improved parts as they went along.

We're only talking about 5% or so of the driver population that doesn't upgrade but even if it was much higher, you're either upgraded or you're not so there's no incompatibility problem. It will be different when the developer API is released as third party Apps may be incompatible with older firmware. Of course, that's easily solved by an upgrade.

Right now the incompatibilities Tesla has to be dealt with are the many versions of mix and match hardware in use.

Like you, I would really like to know what it is I am accepting when I click on the download now link.
Nitpick: It's an installation link, the download has already occurred prior to the alarm clock icon displaying.

Why it matters: This is very different from a browser confirmation before downloading potentially malicious software from a web site.

Wrong. Standard practice for your iPhone is as stated.
My Windows phone, tablets, and desktops tell me what they're installing and I choose what I want to accept.

Maybe Tesla should look to Microsoft rather than Apple sometimes.