Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.8.6/7/8/9/10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's set to 50. Before 5.8.4 I always got 40 amps. After the update that everyone was pushed in December (the "recall update") I automatically got switched down to 30 amps within 30 minutes of starting a charge. Now with 5.8.8 I hot right to 16 amps, and though it charged last night to my predetermined level my charging circle was red this morning...

I have an HPWC on a 100A breaker. With 5.8.x, all versions (I am now 5.8.8), I have never had a current roll back, always get 79-80A charging. I typically have 244V at 0A and 240V at 80A.

I have premium but it is still cutting out a lot...

I still have slacker but it's just slow.

- - - Updated - - -

Slacker's gone for a lot of folks. See the "free data for 4 years" thread.

I just subscribed to Slacker Premium and have updated the in-car login with it.

Thanks, I still have Slacker it's just loading real slow and $10 bucks a month is crazy!

Last edited:
If Slacker is coming via satellite, the current 'problem' may be what happens twice a year. For a few days in near spring and late fall, the sun passes directly in view behind the stationary satellites and sometimes wreaks havoc with the signals. It can last up to a few hours per day and for several days. Days affected are based on location (north/south) where the 'sun view' slowly heads north in the near spring and heads south in the fall.

Others may notice a problem with satellite delivered TV at the same time (TV delivered via satellite to cable systems etc).

Maybe Slacker is not the update's fault.

jus sayin'

Had my car in for service today. It was updated to 5.8.10 from 5.8.4.

Looks like there is at least one new feature added sometime after 5.8.4 -- I noticed it on the loaner (which was on 5.8.8) and its now on my car. You can now delete locations in the Nav list -- including visited chargers, searches and previous destinations. There is a little x in a circle icon to the right of each listing -- tapping it deletes the entry. Seems to be one at a time though -- haven't noticed a way to delete en masse...

I just installed 5.8.8 today and was hoping I'd see charging improvements. With the last update my 40 amp charge rate dropped to 30 amps. Now I'm down to 16 amps. I know they throttled so you couldn't start a wiring fire, but I had my wiring checked and it was in spec for a full 40 amp draw...

If you're charging at 16 amps, your pilot is likely not being read correctly by the car -- in other words, you have a problem making a good connection to the car. Sometimes this can be caused by not fully inserting the connector. Or you have an issue with the charge port or your connector or perhaps the EVSE equipment itself.

If you're charging at 16 amps, your pilot is likely not being read correctly by the car -- in other words, you have a problem making a good connection to the car. Sometimes this can be caused by not fully inserting the connector. Or you have an issue with the charge port or your connector or perhaps the EVSE equipment itself.

In order to check this possibility out, one can install Visible Tesla (forum member Joe Pasqua's excellent app for managing your car from your desktop). It has the ability to display the pilot current the car is currently reading form the EVSE it's connected to, amongst many other cool things.

And yes, I was in reverse when I set them and saved. It seems to save in whatever position I leave them in, but doesn't change back for forward driving.

I've had this issue on the driver side since 5.8.6, but it only happens when cold (below -15 'C). Putting it back in reverse, waiting a few seconds, then back to drive seems to work. More likely a hardware problem considering it is temperature related, but definitely only started when I left the service center the same night they installed 5.8.6.

In order to check this possibility out, one can install Visible Tesla (forum member Joe Pasqua's excellent app for managing your car from your desktop). It has the ability to display the pilot current the car is currently reading form the EVSE it's connected to, amongst many other cool things.

The car will tell you. Under amperage it will say x/y. X is the current draw. Y is the available current which is the same as the pilot signal.

I've had this issue on the driver side since 5.8.6, but it only happens when cold (below -15 'C). Putting it back in reverse, waiting a few seconds, then back to drive seems to work. More likely a hardware problem considering it is temperature related, but definitely only started when I left the service center the same night they installed 5.8.6.

Thanks, I've tried multiple times to reset those mirrors, have rebooted the center display a couple of times and retried resetting, all to no avail. Have a call in to service and they're looking into it.

do not know exactly what the specific change is, either a new spec on material or design to eliminate the harmonics from the front when you come to a complete stop, a slight squeak, but not a normal break pad squeak. There is a service bulletin out on this and they replace both front rotors.

This is good to know. I've had this squeak forever and I've complained previously to Tesla (Queens) about it saying that its so loud people think that my brake pads are down to the metal. They did nothing about it though and said the squeak was "normal". That was back in August though.

5.8.8-anyone else having issues with the rear view mirror backup tilt? I've reset mine twice since the update and it isn't "taking". And yes, I was in reverse when I set them and saved. It seems to save in whatever position I leave them in, but doesn't change back for forward driving.
Just FYI/update: Service had me try deleting my profile and creating a new one after suggesting I reset the rear mirror tilt, which I had already done several times. they feel that the update may have somehow damaged the control module (non-Tesla manufactured) and that they'll need to be replaced.