Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FW 5.9 Clobbered my fog lights(?) and browser funkiness?

Got my S85 back from the Service Center last Friday evening. They upgraded to 5.9 (.88 flavor) during the visit. This weekend I noticed the car no longer knows I have fog lights. They are are no longer accessible form the center screen... the button just isn't there, as when I first got the car before I had them retrofitted on.

Not sure if this might be common to other folks, or if the fact that my car did not originally factory ship with them might make this an isolated case. The standard console reboot dance hasn't help. Previous over-the-air FW upgrades never caused a problem.

Also, has anybody had issues with the browser bombing mid-way thru a page load with "Page Unavailable - Check Connectivity" message along with a reload link? In the 10 months I've had that car, I've never had that once, and now I've had it half a dozen times in areas that I drive all the time with no known connectivity issues. Other connectivity-related services (Slacker, Google Maps) continue to work without a hitch... so it feels like a browser-specific issue...

Got my S85 back from the Service Center last Friday evening. They upgraded to 5.9 (.88 flavor) during the visit. This weekend I noticed the car no longer knows I have fog lights. They are are no longer accessible form the center screen... the button just isn't there, as when I first got the car before I had them retrofitted on.

Not sure if this might be common to other folks, or if the fact that my car did not originally factory ship with them might make this an isolated case. The standard console reboot dance hasn't help. Previous over-the-air FW upgrades never caused a problem.

Also, has anybody had issues with the browser bombing mid-way thru a page load with "Page Unavailable - Check Connectivity" message along with a reload link? In the 10 months I've had that car, I've never had that once, and now I've had it half a dozen times in areas that I drive all the time with no known connectivity issues. Other connectivity-related services (Slacker, Google Maps) continue to work without a hitch... so it feels like a browser-specific issue...

It sounds like they need to tell your car it has fog lights again. I'd call the service center. I think I read somewhere that they can make those changes over the air.

It sounds like they need to tell your car it has fog lights again. I'd call the service center. I think I read somewhere that they can make those changes over the air.

Agreed... I had already called them and they were going to see what they could do.... I had another patch explicitly targeted for my VIN previously, so it will be interesting to see if they can update the equipment configuration file remotely as well...

I'd call that a pretty major bug. The car should remember the lower amperage setting. I'll see tonight if my car does the same. What subversion are you on?

Perhaps this is a related issue, but I've been getting a pop up screen every time I start the car at home that asks me if I want to save the location for home. I have repeatedly opted for the "do not ask again" option on the touchscreen, but still get the message any time. I've searched through this thread and unless I've missed an earlier post about this, don't see anyone reporting this issue.

Perhaps this is a related issue, but I've been getting a pop up screen every time I start the car at home that asks me if I want to save the location for home. I have repeatedly opted for the "do not ask again" option on the touchscreen, but still get the message any time. I've searched through this thread and unless I've missed an earlier post about this, don't see anyone reporting this issue.

As a work around, pick some arbitrary location assign it as "Home". That way your home address is not easy to find (for Valets, etc) but it will stop asking.

I've been getting the web browser lost connectivity message too. Annoying. Only seems to happen on certain web sites though. I think certain web sites might have a javascript process running that periodically checks for new content, and that is what is causing problems. Just a guess. I'm on the .88 variant.

My car has retrofitted fog lights. This happened to be on an earlier version of firmware. Tesla was able to remotely connect to my car and update the config file to regain my fog lights.

Anyone else noticed performance issues with 5.9? I'm running the .94 rev.

I've noticed the frame rate on maps gets pretty chunky at times. And often the scroll wheel menu is unresponsive.

I will try a series of reboots today, but I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this.

Have a feeling that the rollout keeps getting stalled because of you all posting your issues here (not that there's anything wrong with that). I hope I'm wrong though, as it would be quite frustrating if it turned out that TM halted 5.9 just because a few owners complained about sluggish maps. If it was something more serious that affected the function of the vehicle then I could understand.

Have a feeling that the rollout keeps getting stalled because of you all posting your issues here (not that there's anything wrong with that). I hope I'm wrong though, as it would be quite frustrating if it turned out that TM halted 5.9 just because a few owners complained about sluggish maps. If it was something more serious that affected the function of the vehicle then I could understand.

I doubt it. It's not even my business, and I can browse the update threads on forum and tell pretty easily what might be real bugs and what is just "upgrade-altered perception", which I define as people suddenly noticing things that have been there for months. I would hope that - assuming Tesla uses this forum as input - they have at least as good a BS filter as I do. I would hope.

I doubt it. It's not even my business, and I can browse the update threads on forum and tell pretty easily what might be real bugs and what is just "upgrade-altered perception", which I define as people suddenly noticing things that have been there for months. I would hope that - assuming Tesla uses this forum as input - they have at least as good a BS filter as I do. I would hope.

We have pretty solid evidence that they are in fact looking through the forums. And we also have solid evidence that they can tell what's what. So I wouldn't worry about it.

Sluggish maps were the least of my issues. I had the central computer reboot at least 6 times in a one week span after getting 5.9. I'm pretty sure the issue revolved around some problem with the NAV software though. I called the SC and he fixed the problem OTA. About 3 days later (Saturday night) I got another notice from TM that there was another firmware update. I'm not sure the numbers, but it was another update of 5.9.

Today I received the car from service with 5.9 installed (.94). I love all of the additions. I also noticed that the positions of the side view mirrors is no longer stored in the profiles, at least the mirrors do not note anymore. In addition, my main concern is that every time I charge after about 20 min I have fluctuations in the voltage that causes the car to reduce charging from 40 to 30A. Every time! Hopefully once the replacement of the charge adaptors is completed they will release and update that is less sensitive to voltage fluctuations.

I received 5.9 over the air last night (Wi-Fi was enabled, also in 3G coverage). Installed this morning. The update took 40 minutes. Version 1.51.94. I'll report back if I see any issues.

My range at the start of the update was 210 rated (about 88% charged). After the update it said 215. Wasn't plugged in. This is the first time I sat in my car for an update (waiting for it to finish so I could go to work). I have a theory that if you have "headlights on after exit" enabled, the. The update takes longer. The update turned my headlights on maybe 5 times during the install. Each time, the clicking, clanking, and clunking of the updates stopped until my headlights went off several minutes later. Wonder if the update waits for the headlights to turn off naturally before continuing.

Have you already designated a HOME location on 5.9? If not, is there a reason you chose NOT to do so?

I had the update avail yesterday morning, and I installed it after I got home.

So far, I like the changes. The only thing I don't like is the larger font for the odometer and time on the dash -- it's way too big now and almost cartoonish. I understand the requests to make it larger, but they need to do some fine tuning to make the fonts match others used on the dash -- either go slightly smaller or keep the same size and ditch the bold...