Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 5.9

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I usually drive with the rear view camera turn on on the top (half) screen. When I get close to my house, the home link options pop out and the rear view camera turns black ( till the home link options retract). I could have sworn it used show the rear view even when the homelink options popped up prior to 5.9. Has anyone noticed the same ?

I usually drive with the rear view camera turn on on the top (half) screen. When I get close to my house, the home link options pop out and the rear view camera turns black ( till the home link options retract). I could have sworn it used show the rear view even when the homelink options popped up prior to 5.9. Has anyone noticed the same ?

I back into my driveway and the homelink has always appeared at the same time as the rear view camera for me. Try a reboot?

Yep, mine started this behavior a couple months ago. Anything service can do about it? I'll ask next time it's in.

Mine did this several months ago. When I took it to the service center, they discovered the magnet had separated from the door. I could push it closed, and it would jam the magnet back into the door just long enough for me to get back in the car, then come loose again (it might have been the other way around - where the magnet had come loose from the car. I can't remember right now). Because the magnets are dark, it was not obvious at first glance.

Mine did this several months ago. When I took it to the service center, they discovered the magnet had separated from the door. I could push it closed, and it would jam the magnet back into the door just long enough for me to get back in the car, then come loose again (it might have been the other way around - where the magnet had come loose from the car. I can't remember right now). Because the magnets are dark, it was not obvious at first glance.

That happened to me too Lawsteve... but I think it's different than what apacheguy & Doug_G are experiencing, because (at least in my case), there was no "port open" msg on the screen, because the magnet made the car believe the port was shut... it sounds like the car is actually releasing the latch for them.

I often close the port only to have it pop right back open again. Sometimes I close it, it appears to stay shut, and I get in the car only to have the port open warning on the screen. It's always done that from day one.
Yep, same here. The first ten times (I'm slow) I thought it must have been me, pressing the button by mistake when putting the UMC away. But after a while I started to look at the port before getting into the car. Only to hear the click and get the warning on the screen.

This happens to me frequently, although less frequently than in the past. I close the charge port door, hear the "clunk" of it locking, get in, sit down and hear it "click" and unlock/open again. I then have to get out and close it a second (and sometimes a third) time. As I say, less frequently nowadays, but it did happen to me yesterday. Note that this is not just the magnet not holding... it is spontaneously unlocking itself as confirmed on the car's screens.

I had that, and I found the trick was to put the charge cable away before closing the charge port door. It seems as if just holding it, without pushing the button, sometimes reopens the charge port. I've never seen this behaviour when starting to charge, only when removing the cable.

- - - Updated - - -

This happens to me frequently, although less frequently than in the past. I close the charge port door, hear the "clunk" of it locking, get in, sit down and hear it "click" and unlock/open again. I then have to get out and close it a second (and sometimes a third) time. As I say, less frequently nowadays, but it did happen to me yesterday. Note that this is not just the magnet not holding... it is spontaneously unlocking itself as confirmed on the car's screens.

I had that, and I found the trick was to put the charge cable away before closing the charge port door. It seems as if just holding it, without pushing the button, sometimes reopens the charge port. I've never seen this behaviour when starting to charge, only when removing the cable.

Yep, same here. The first ten times (I'm slow) I thought it must have been me, pressing the button by mistake when putting the UMC away. But after a while I started to look at the port before getting into the car. Only to hear the click and get the warning on the screen.

That drove me nuts for awhile. It is so frustrating to get in the car at 4 am and have to get out right after sitting down 4x. Eventually it wouldn't charge at all. I called the tesla 1-800 number the night it happened as I had to work the next day and wanted a charge. The next-day aired me a new cable and I haven't had the problem since...

I've seen the same behavior. My theory is that if the car is in a deep sleep, then the charge port disconnect and the pin unlock can happen very soon to meet J1772 timings, etc, but the car may take a little while to energize the magnet to hold the charge port closed.

Could very well be. However, I'd think that the door should not be unlockable when the car's not in Park. A bug to be remedied.

This has happened to me at home. It's not a spurious signal. It has something to do with the timing of closing the port and getting in the car which causes the relays connecting the traction pack to engage. I'd guess it happens about 3% of the time for me.

Nope, not for me. I would hang up the cable, close the door, get in the car, sit down and "click"... it would spontaneously open (and would be confirmed open on the screen). On more than one occasion, I'd get out, close the port again, get the solid "clunk" of it locking only to get back in the car and have it pop again. As I say, it is occurring much less frequently compared to 6 or 8 months ago but still happens on occasion.

Nope, not for me. I would hang up the cable, close the door, get in the car, sit down and "click"... it would spontaneously open (and would be confirmed open on the screen). On more than one occasion, I'd get out, close the port again, get the solid "clunk" of it locking only to get back in the car and have it pop again. As I say, it is occurring much less frequently compared to 6 or 8 months ago but still happens on occasion.

@mknox, I have had the same experience, several times, of closing the charge port door, getting in the car, and then hearing it pop open before I started driving, though every time I got out and closed the door again then it always stayed closed.

However, I don't think this issue has happened to me since getting 5.9. Can't swear to that though.

@mknox, I have had the same experience, several times, of closing the charge port door, getting in the car, and then hearing it pop open before I started driving, though every time I got out and closed the door again then it always stayed closed.

However, I don't think this issue has happened to me since getting 5.9. Can't swear to that though.
Same here. I don't think I've had this since 5.9

Some information on the hill assist from the guy who was servicing my vehicle. As a general observation, the feature doesn't seem to be very well understood as ownership originally admitted no knowledge about it and passed me on to the service location. Their initial understanding of this feature was that it used the e-brake; however, that does not appear to be the case. The service rep confirmed that the system will only hold the hydraulic pressure applied to it through the brake pedal, through use of the ABS / ESP module. This makes sense in terms of pedal pressure having an affect on the performance of this feature but as I pointed out to him (to forward to engineering), if the hill assist simply held the pressure already applied then releasing the brake pedal should never result in rolling backwards. It seems to me that there has to be a certain level of braking force in order for this to work at all. I have more observations about how I think this works but I'm going to wait and see if I get any more useful information on this before posting any more. One thing the service rep did say is that no-one else has really asked about this feature or complained. While I am clearly obsessed with this feature it would probably help if anyone else who is confused by it contacts service or ownership.

And thus it is... some of us live in this bubble of curiosity, participate in the forum, etc. While the other 90+% of owners just drive their cars, briefly reading the release notes, maybe?
So, not surprising that this can seem like an item of focus to those of us on forum and a relatively irrelevant nit to ownership and service. Neither wrong, neither right.

I would love to hear from a service manager some day what their perception is of the major items of interest across all owners.

The fact that engineering and/or corporate don't educate service centers on new software features before they are released is a problem. There is no hurry to release software, so why not take the time to send out bulletins to all service centers regarding new functionality before the software is released? That doesn't seem to be asking too much, and this way everyone is prepared.