Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 6.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I read about the webkit vulnerability in the article I wondered if this could result in Tesla having to speed up work on providing a better browser, or whether they could patch that webkit vulnerability without necessarily providing a better browser. I pretty much assumed it was the latter, but was hoping for the former. Thoughts from those that are knowledgeable on this stuff?

I used to do product security and release management for embedded systems. Generally the best practice for a situation like this is to do the smallest change possible to mitigate a vulnerability for fear of introducing additional bugs or vulnerabilities. That generally means "patch" rather than "adopt a new version", at least for the short term. Longer-term, someone in product management might make the call for a new browser / new architecture. But I'm just speaking in general terms, with no more knowledge about Model S vulnerabilities than anybody else on TMC.

When I read about the webkit vulnerability in the article I wondered if this could result in Tesla having to speed up work on providing a better browser, or whether they could patch that webkit vulnerability without necessarily providing a better browser. I pretty much assumed it was the latter, but was hoping for the former. Thoughts from those that are knowledgeable on this stuff?

Patch and make sure the browser is isolated as much as possible so that nothing bad can actually be done with any other exploits.

The fact that we all seemed to get 2.5.21 so rapidly makes me wonder why other updates seem to take so long to roll out across all users.
Risk vs. reward decision goes into every release timeline.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking purely for myself, I'd rather they disable the browser if necessary (rather than build a new one) and spend their efforts elsewhere (like getting the 7.0 UI out generally, AP, etc.).

Except when my cellphone is dead (battery), I rarely need the in-car browser. It's convenient and useful -- like the frunk -- but not (for me) critical.

Last edited:

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking purely for myself, I'd rather than disable the browser if necessary (rather than build a new one) and spend their efforts elsewhere (like getting the 7.0 UI out generally, AP, etc.).

Except when my cellphone is dead (battery), I rarely need the in-car browser. It's convenient and useful -- like the frunk -- but not (for me) critical.

Agree. The only time I use it is rare. Maybe to hit plug share (once or twice).

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking purely for myself, I'd rather than disable the browser if necessary (rather than build a new one) and spend their efforts elsewhere (like getting the 7.0 UI out generally, AP, etc.).

WAZE in the browser is my radar detector substitute. I'd miss it.

Patch and make sure the browser is isolated as much as possible so that nothing bad can actually be done with any other exploits.

If not physically isolated, then at least having, say a type 1 hypervisor, to manage separate virtual machines would be good...can't see XEN running on a Tegra3, though in the future...?

I also just updated to .21, I'm real hopeful that TM have isolated things better. Still the version of WebKit, 534.34. I thought the html5test score was a little higher (now showing 216) though I can't see anything missing from the features page and everything (Waze, etc) appears to be working fine.

btw. Could be a spoof, though I found a few interesting browser versions on html5test when executing tesla search: http://html5test.com/results/search.html?query=tesla
image.jpg

Like i said, could be a spoof though Android has been oft-suspected as a plausible replacement... ;-)

If not physically isolated, then at least having, say a type 1 hypervisor, to manage separate virtual machines would be good...can't see XEN running on a Tegra3, though in the future...?

I also just updated to .21, I'm real hopeful that TM have isolated things better. Still the version of WebKit, 534.34. I thought the html5test score was a little higher (now showing 216) though I can't see anything missing from the features page and everything (Waze, etc) appears to be working fine.

btw. Could be a spoof, though I found a few interesting browser versions on html5test when executing tesla search: http://html5test.com/results/search.html?query=tesla
View attachment 89774
Like i said, could be a spoof though Android has been oft-suspected as a plausible replacement... ;-)

Interesting. But if it was more than internal tests, it would show up much more recently.

Wow, that is a new feature. You'd think they would have put that in the release notes! Does it still only work for one second?

It should act like hold mode in TACC and stay braked indefinitely until the accelerator is pressed.

I posted elsewhere so will be brief. Hill hold now functions - car won't roll when stopped on a hill, no matter direction of travel.

Wow, that is a new feature. You'd think they would have put that in the release notes! Does it still only work for one second?

It should act like hold mode in TACC and stay braked indefinitely until the accelerator is pressed.

Do you have to pump the brakes to make it happen?

Since the latest firmware, my scheduled charging has been behaving strangely. Every time it starts to charge I first get a message that says "Charging Interrupted", followed by the usual "Charging started" and "Charging complete" messages. The first time I thought it was a fluke, but it has done it every time since the new release. Anyone else?

I'm going to try the old reboot trick today and see if that changes anything.

Since the latest firmware, my scheduled charging has been behaving strangely. Every time it starts to charge I first get a message that says "Charging Interrupted", followed by the usual "Charging started" and "Charging complete" messages. The first time I thought it was a fluke, but it has done it every time since the new release. Anyone else?

I'm going to try the old reboot trick today and see if that changes anything.

I got that last night as well... having gotten the FW update on Wed....

I'm not seeing that as a result of the new firmware, however, I have seen it in the past when I'm starting to develop a problem with my UMC and/or Charge Port. I've had 3 UMCs and a new Charge Port thus far. I ended up replacing the J1772 cables on my chargers at work because they somehow began to fail with the Tesla adapter. The early signs were this "Charging Interrupted" / "Charging Started" messages.

I got the windows reaction. After using windows all these year I get into habit of reboot. Do it to all my android phones, reboot weekly. Do it to all my iPhone's, reboot weekly....

Now I find myself sitting while waiting in the car for someone, reboot the car..... Lol