Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 Beta Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Add all 3 of those together and ask yourself if the power meter and other core info will be on the dash in v7. I think it's pretty easy to see where things are headed and the direction is not looking good. Hopefully they'll get this stuff corrected. It does seem like they need more competent leadership on the software side. Just item #1 releasing software to the wrong people, especially alpha/beta software on accident just reaks of incompetency

Several of the things Tesla has done lately wreak of incompetence. I often wonder whether Elon isn't spending enough time at Tesla or if he's delegated too much of his approval authority to others who may not share his focus on quality. Either way, something is broken and it needs to get fixed.

I kind of like it, but do lament that the energy meter is now going to use up what used to be a customizable slot. To my mind, that's the main loss here. I often use it to note the transition from consumption to regeneration, particularly when I know I have a stop coming up: no need to use energy to get to the stop light faster, might as well coast. Now I'll have to figure out what to evict from the dash.

That said, I'm not even sure my "Classic" Model S will have this interface, so complaints might be premature.

But what Tesla did was change the design AND the interface -- for the worse. They removed or relocated vital functionality which regardless of DESIGN, makes the new interface very hard to adjust to, since there's phenomenally less information presented. IF I could only get the same information I'm getting now, but with a different design -- BFD.

Agreed. Tesla could have flattened the current design without taking away any of the information or functionality to which we have grown accustomed.

You're looking at it all wrong. There is a small group of very vocal owners who don't like the cartoon car, who don't like the speedometer, who don't like energy graph, who don't like the power meter, etc.

And then there are the rest of us who don't really care.

And then there's probably a subset of people who like / don't mind the cartoon car

Nobody is right or wrong per se; they're all posting opinions.

The people who don't mind, mostly don't post.

The people who do mind, post loudly and often.

You know, the internet...

Given everything that's been opined in this thread, I sincerely hope that Tesla simply offers us a "Classic" or "New" option to switch between the different interfaces. Hopefully (!) their code is modular enough to allow multiple interfaces on top of the real code that does the hard work.

Also, one thing the power/regen graph does is allow me to easily explain to non-Tesla people who are giving my car a test drive how that actually works, and how integrated "one pedal driving" actually is. By moving it off to the side and reducing the size and scale, it becomes a secondary thing in the minds of people who are driving the car for the first time. I think this is a big loss.

Agreed. Tesla could have flattened the current design without taking away any of the information or functionality to which we have grown accustomed.

Clearly this new UI has ruffled some feathers. If it's ruffled enough feathers, I believe Tesla will do something about it.

If they have reasons for the change apart from whim (or if the whim is Elon's), then I expect them to batten down the hatches and let the storm blow over -- which it will except for a core of permanently disgruntled customers and ex-customers. If that % is low enough, it's the cost of doing business. If that % is high, then material harm could ensue.

To suggest that moves reek of incompetence is a bit hyperbolic*.

* You know, the internet...

Is there a link to the images for the new UI that people are talking about. I know of some of the images from the Norwegian owner. The thread has gotten so large so quickly that it is difficult to find out if other images have leaked/been released.

You're looking at it all wrong. There is a small group of very vocal owners who don't like the cartoon car, who don't like the speedometer, who don't like energy graph, who don't like the power meter, etc.

And then there are the rest of us who don't really care.

And then there's probably a subset of people who like / don't mind the cartoon car

Plus, who would come on this thread at this point and say they like it given that the developers are being called incompetent morons? What does that make me if I like their work?

I sincerely hope that Tesla simply offers us a "Classic" or "New" option to switch between the different interfaces.

This is equivalent to the statement "I sincerely hope that Tesla doubles the workload of its software testers. Let's make sure that new releases come much more slowly and have more bugs. And while we're at it, let's make sure the developers have lots more work too, backporting new features to the old interface. That should slow things down even more."

Do you still think it's a good idea? I don't. I'm happiest when Tesla is moving full speed ahead with new and better stuff. If sometimes it isn't better, I have confidence they'll figure it out quickly and change direction.

Yet another thing that complainers here seem to be ignoring is that none of this is about you or people like you. This is all about getting to Model 3. You know, mass market. New Tesla drivers (who will at that point be the vast majority, render y'all about as important to the market as Roadster owners) won't care about EV nonsense, state of charge, instantaneous efficiency and such. They will be driving the best and safest vehicle on the road and care only about whether it has enough fuel to get to the desired destination, and if not then how far they can go and where they can refuel. If Tesla can get that right (and they've done a mediocre job on that so far) then the rest will make no difference. The fact that the car is an EV just won't be important.

It seems to me that the direction that Tesla is going is to provide to the driver, at a glance, a full awareness of what's going on all around the car. Perhaps soon this information will appear as part of a heads up display and thus not even require that the driver look away from the road. Needless to say this is mostly visual, but it also incorporates various auditory cues and the steering wheel shake. This is awesome stuff, and deriding it by calling it a "toy car" is just ignorance. Cars without sensors are already obsolete. Cars with today's sensor suite, incapable of fully autonomous driving, will be obsolete very soon. Tesla, like most high tech companies, will not put much effort into the software for obsolete hardware. If they put any effort at all into maintaining it, none of the best people will want to work on that team.

If you own an older vehicle and expect anything different, get used to disappointment. My P85 is less than a year old and it's already discontinued and missing the latest features. If I hadn't gotten lucky and got one of the first ones built with the autopilot hardware it would be even more obsolete. I'm neither surprised nor disappointed; I'm excited about how much better my next car is going to be!

I just saw this (because someone quoted it 10 pages later, heh). The bolded makes no sense. They should not be storing all that useless information to get the final average.

I agree............... Several days later after mine were reset, I can report that the initial bootup seems quicker, and less "catchup" of systems early in startup. I did not say it made sense..... Just what I was told when I complained of stuck 3G at startup.

Yet another thing that complainers here seem to be ignoring is that none of this is about you or people like you. This is all about getting to Model 3. You know, mass market. New Tesla drivers (who will at that point be the vast majority, render y'all about as important to the market as Roadster owners) won't care about EV nonsense, state of charge, instantaneous efficiency and such. They will be driving the best and safest vehicle on the road and care only about whether it has enough fuel to get to the desired destination, and if not then how far they can go and where they can refuel. If Tesla can get that right (and they've done a mediocre job on that so far) then the rest will make no difference.

I do not agree with your assessment that Tesla is writing off the concerns and needs of its current customers to attract customers for a car that hasn't been built yet. But to use some of your own words, if Tesla actually were to do that (and again, I reject your assertion that they are) the rest --will-- make no difference, because who would want to buy a car from a manufacturer that is always looking for the next customer, at the expense of the current customers?

I agree............... Several days later after mine were reset, I can report that the initial bootup seems quicker, and less "catchup" of systems early in startup. I did not say it made sense..... Just what I was told when I complained of stuck 3G at startup.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were cache, memory leaks or memory fragmentation that contribute to slowdown over time, but the stated reason of the trip computer is fantasy.