Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed it last night when I went to bed. After driving around a bit this morning, I've decided that I think it's a great update. The UI works better in practice than it does in screenshots. The interface is materially faster. Maybe 200ms improvement on touches, which is perceivable. The refresh rate seems higher on things like flipping and going full screen.

The clock app is worthless and can only hope it was made quickly as a way of testing out an upcoming SDK or something. Looks and functions like a javascript demo.

Disappointed that there's no performance update for me but won't complain about it. Torque sleep might be helpful in stop and go, I guess. Hoping HVAC improvements make a difference in the florida summers!

Overall solid release and a step forward for non-AP cars, albeit a smaller one.

My car was updated yesterday but I didn't have the chance to drive it until this morning. I will list the things I liked and dislikes:

LIKED:
1- Cleaner and more responsive OS. It's noticeable now, the touch screen is way more responsive. You tap on something and it shows right away.
2- The trip meter now shows the time and the average consumption. The consumption in kW/h is updated more often.
3- Finally there is a good use of the music app when the view is maximized.

DISLIKED:
1- For some of the apps, why are there 2 different versions, one for the AP and another for the classic cars? When Apple tries to distinguish newer iPhones, I understand (although disagree); they basically want you to buy the new one. But with a car that hasn't been out for more than 3 years! And at $100K?
a. The energy app
b. The TMPS app, which doesn't even exist in the older Model S: Why? Even if there were different TMPSs for the newer cars, it's not an impossible add-on. From my understanding, TPMSs are all the same in the end. I bet many AP owners bought TPMSs from TireRack. Did they have issues reading or accessing the app?
2- Torque sleep and performance enhancements for RWD cars with AP only. Do they have different motors? I doubt it. If they do, how come they were able to add torque sleep to energies and de-energies the motor, but not to enhance the performance?
3- Hill assist. This is purely software! How come AP cars can have theirs remain engaged and we don't?
4- I expected the OS to be entirely a flat design. I'm not sure why they went with textured backgrounds and 3D icons... I bet some older employees started this and newer ones are redesigning the whole thing for the 7.1.
5- The analogue clock app is useless.

So I did a 100% charge after loading 7.0. Was still charging at 16 amps at 247rm when I had to unplug. Managed to drive 12.2 miles without a drop in rated miles. Equivalent to about 14 rated miles. Means my car would have charged to 260. Higher than I have ever seen it. This never had happened with multiple 100% charges on 6.2.

8fdca87548bb3212c64a0dc0c250dea8.jpg

I am referencing to the "Zero Mile" protection buffer of 5.1kWh, or 17 rated miles. See this link for more details (skip to "So how far I can really drive?" heading)

Yup, familiar with that graphic. I presume, then, you're referencing the battery icon on the screen rather than the numeric range being displayed. I didn't pick that up at first. Nor did I realize that the icon reflected the "extra." I always look(ed) at the bar above the miles remaining counter in the middle of the speedo.

FYI - in the mass email that I assume everyone received yesterday from Tesla, I noticed the first paragraph states that everyone should be getting hill hold assist (not just AP cars) - especially since the second paragraph talks about the features that only the AP cars were getting:

"Starting today, Tesla Version 7 software with Autopilot is in wide release. Model S is designed to keep getting better over time, and your car now features hill hold assist, climate control updates and powertrain updates for a smoother, more enjoyable everyday drive.

For cars with Autopilot hardware, the latest software update also allows those vehicles to use their unique combination of cameras, radar, ultrasonic sensors, and data to steer down the highway, change lanes, and adjust speed in response to traffic. Once you’ve arrived at your destination, Model S scans for a parking space and parallel parks on your command.
"

I stopped on a big incline today and then let go of the brake and even after a few seconds, my car didn't roll backwards. I assume this is the new hill hold assist in action?

FYI - in the mass email that I assume everyone received yesterday from Tesla, I noticed the first paragraph states that everyone should be getting hill hold assist (not just AP cars) - especially since the second paragraph talks about the features that only the AP cars were getting:

"Starting today, Tesla Version 7 software with Autopilot is in wide release. Model S is designed to keep getting better over time, and your car now features hill hold assist, climate control updates and powertrain updates for a smoother, more enjoyable everyday drive.

For cars with Autopilot hardware, the latest software update also allows those vehicles to use their unique combination of cameras, radar, ultrasonic sensors, and data to steer down the highway, change lanes, and adjust speed in response to traffic. Once you’ve arrived at your destination, Model S scans for a parking space and parallel parks on your command.
"

I stopped on a big incline today and then let go of the brake and even after a few seconds, my car didn't roll backwards. I assume this is the new hill hold assist in action?

It depends on your exact hardware, I think we'll see. There's no doubt that early cars like mine get neither hill hold enhancement, nor power train performance - tho we do get torque sleep (efficiency at stop).

My S was built in Dec 2013. Got V7 yesterday and went for a drive. It feels like the very low speed pedal control is improved, it is smoother and even easier to modulate than before. Others have posted the same. The release notes say that is the case.
So I think it is likely incorrect to say "the non-AP RWD cars aren't getting these improvements". What we don't seem to know is exactly which early "classic" cars are not getting them.
I love having a "classic" S [emoji3] but expect that at some point in the future I will have an AP D version. In the meantime, my "classic" just keeps getting better. Thank you Tesla!

Ecarfan - please read closer. I am referring to the entire section of the v7 Autopilot notes which has the heading "Improved Performance". Our classis RWD cars didn't get this. The detailed writeup under Improved Performance is totally different than the throttle response stuff you are excited about. It reads "Motor control enhancements initially developed for Dual-Motor Model S have now been incorporated into RWD Model S, enabling higher acceleration at all speeds, especially near top speed."

Tesla confirmed all of this to me in an email, as well.

I'm all for changes that improved things. My beef is that they changed the basic UI design that I bought into when I purchased the car. It is no "faster" than it was before (on my car, at least) and a lot of the features that I actually used are now gone. I set my a/c manually most of the time and now I can't see what mode it is in on the icon. The trip app on the center screen doesn't have the A and B values. I do care about the "Since Last Charge" value, but don't care about the "Current Trip". If Tesla wanted to change the basic UI, they should have offered user-selectable "skins" like other car makers do.
I must have missed this. So the new UI doesn't allow one to tell fresh vs recirc on HVAC? It's not fully clear to me from the images (here)
I really don't understand why they have "dumbed it down" and removed this sort of info.

Just wondering if you still have the ability to use the scroll wheels for left and right dash screens. I usually adjust the fan speed on the right and the audio volume on the left.

it is the same

- - - Updated - - -

I have not read through the entire thread, but did read the last couple of pages. I am confused about something: I currently have hill assist. I enjoy it very much. If I upgrade to 7.0, do I lose hill assist?

I think there is still hill assist, not sure if it holds until you go or just ~5 secs or whatever it was