Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the following make sense? What is your setting on that feature?
From the UM.
Headlights After Exit
When you stop driving and park Model S in low lighting conditions, the exterior lights automatically turn on. They automatically turn off after two minutes or when you lock Model S.
You can turn this feature on and off using the
touchscreen. Touch Controls > Settings >
Vehicle > Headlights After Exit.

That kinda does make sense, but I could've sworn it never toggled the switch from off to auto... but maybe I missed it.

- - - Updated - - -

Max, if you check your setting as Soolim pointed out, I can test with 6.2 for you.

I am 99% sure I have that setting to On.

Can you see if it toggles from "off" to "auto", please? More of a curiosity thing if I missed it in 6.2 or it's a very very minor bug in 7.0.

In 6.2,
1. Open door, sit down, close door, press brake.
2. Headlights turn on
3. 17" indicates headlights on
4. Slide 17" to headlights off
5. Headlights turn off
6. 17" indicates headlights off
7. Open door, get out of car, instrument cluster goes to "Car Off"
8. 17" auto slides to Auto
9. Sit back in car and close door
10. "Car off" on IC, headlights are off, 17 indicates headlights off, slider is on Auto
11. Hit brakes, headlights turn on, 17" indicates headlights on.
12. Slide to Off and headlights turn off, 17" indicates headlights off.

In 6.2,
2. Headlights turn on
5. Headlights turn off
10. "Car off" on IC, headlights are off, 17 indicates headlights off, slider is on Auto

Thank you, I'll try exactly what you did tonight, but IIRC for me Step 10 leaves the headlights on!

Here's a screenshot of me closing the door and locking it yesterday. So maybe it is a new bug in v7.

20151111_185458.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

In 6.2,
2. Headlights turn on
5. Headlights turn off

I couldn't wait till tonight, went to the car now. Step 10 has the IC say car off, headlights are ON, 17 indicates headlights are on, slider is on Auto. So yep, it's a small bug in v7. Set slider to OFF and NOTHING happens.

To add another small bug into this, if I set the headlights off while the IC says "Car off", and press the brake pedal, the headlights change to "Auto". It doesn't stick.

And I do have the headlights on after exit, do you?

And I do have the headlights on after exit, do you?

I do NOT. I will retry with that turned on...

Turning on "Headlight on after exit" makes v6.2 (2.5.71) behave the same way as Max outlines. Once I get off the seat, the slider automatically goes to Auto, the headlights turn on, and moving to "Off" doesn't do anything.

My thoughts = working as designed

The 17" having the lights on is "live status" of what the car is actually doing. The slider is what the car should do in normal circumstances. The "headlights after exit" overrides normal behavior and forces "On" when the car switches to "Car Off" for whatever period of time.

Turning on "Headlight on after exit" makes v6.2 (2.5.71) behave the same way as Max outlines. Once I get off the seat, the slider automatically goes to Auto, the headlights turn on, and moving to "Off" doesn't do anything.

The 17" having the lights on is "live status" of what the car is actually doing. The slider is what the car should do in normal circumstances. The "headlights after exit" overrides normal behavior and forces "On" when the car switches to "Car Off" for whatever period of time.

Fully agree with your thoughts = working as designed.

No need, but thanks.

I think this is still a bug due to the fact that when I do the experiment step-by-step as you outlined it, and turn the headlights to off AND then press the brake pedal, they go to auto. This should not happen regardless of the "Headlights on after exit" setting.

Is it possible that the software is, in this case, just using your pressing the brake pedal as the indicator that you are turning the car back on (even though you are not?) What I mean is, is the behavior you are seeing consistent with what would happen if you were to press the brake pedal and continue to then start the car?

I guess you're right, it probably is acting as designed, I'm not sure I 100% agree with the design overriding my off command, but it might not be a bug afterall.

Is it possible that the software is, in this case, just using your pressing the brake pedal as the indicator that you are turning the car back on (even though you are not?) What I mean is, is the behavior you are seeing consistent with what would happen if you were to press the brake pedal and continue to then start the car?

What do you mean continue to start the car? I press the brake pedal, the car is started, no? Do you mean when I put it in gear?

If Cyclone is correct (and it appears he is), I may try the experiment (slides to "off", press brake pedal and see if turns slider to "on"), with headlights-on-after-exit disabled. I wonder if I'm still within the 2 minute window and it just overrides my decision. I'll try this tonight, if i don't forget.

What do you mean continue to start the car? I press the brake pedal, the car is started, no? Do you mean when I put it in gear?

That is what I meant, but in retrospect of course you are correct that the car is "on" with just the brake pedal pressed. It's one of those things I don't even really think about any more, and somehow when I was writing my response to you I was thinking starting the car was a two-step process--brake pedal, and engaging a gear.

Sorry to have added to the confusion.

That is what I meant, but in retrospect of course you are correct that the car is "on" with just the brake pedal pressed. It's one of those things I don't even really think about any more, and somehow when I was writing my response to you I was thinking starting the car was a two-step process--brake pedal, and engaging a gear.

Sorry to have added to the confusion.

I didn't try it, I only stepped out to repeat the test Cyclone did. I'll add that to my list for tonight, heh.

Hi all,

Can't find this elsewhere using search, though I'm either going crazy or .77 has stopped the ability to lane change across a solid line. In WA state most of the HOV lanes have solid white line along their edge with the main freeway. I am sure* that I used the able to lane change into/out of the HOV lane using auto-steering previously. Is this new?

thanks, Mike

btw wiki states hand on steering wheel is required to initiate lane change for .77. Not for my tests... Others?

Lane change over solid white lines (or any solid lines, for that matter) never worked on 2.7.56 for me. This behavior is consistent in .77 as well.

As for holding the steering wheel before or during a lane change, I can confirm it is still not a requirement in .77 -- but I am in the US.
I believe this was a requirement in other countries (possibly all of Europe, maybe Australia) so Tesla implemented it in .77 *for those countries only*. Which is probably why 7.0 was releasing a little later abroad than in the US.

I've noticed headlights staying on longer than they should - for example, starting near sunrise, but at 9 AM in bright sunshine, they are still on. Also noticed a few occasions around dusk when I thought they should be on and they weren't (and the 17" screen stayed in daylight mode).

I noticed something today, but get the feeling this has been around since well before 7.0. If the climate control system is off, and I touch anywhere on the climate control area, not just the "on/off" button, it turns on. Is this an old feature that I just missed because of my very accurate finger? :smile: