Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Turned off headlights after exit. On 17" turned headlights off. Car was off. Pressed brake, headlights turn to auto and turn on, put it in gear, they stayed on.

Doesn't bother me one bit, but it's a bug

If I understand what you are saying correctly then I don't think it is a bug. When you press the brake the car turns on. When the car turns on the headlights always go back to AUTO by design. Here's a snippet from the owner's manual:

Screenshot 2015-11-12 21.20.50.png

Last edited:
I noticed something today, but get the feeling this has been around since well before 7.0. If the climate control system is off, and I touch anywhere on the climate control area, not just the "on/off" button, it turns on. Is this an old feature that I just missed because of my very accurate finger? :smile:

Your feeling is correct. I remember this as far back as Dec. 2012, so I believe it's been this way pretty much since the beginning.

Auto lane change wouldn't work when my son drove the car, and we figured out that the setting is controlled by the driver profile-- and defaults to OFF. Something to check, anyway.

Hi all,

Can't find this elsewhere using search, though I'm either going crazy or .77 has stopped the ability to lane change across a solid line. In WA state most of the HOV lanes have solid white line along their edge with the main freeway. I am sure* that I used the able to lane change into/out of the HOV lane using auto-steering previously. Is this new?

thanks, Mike

btw wiki states hand on steering wheel is required to initiate lane change for .77. Not for my tests... Others?

Lane change over solid white lines (or any solid lines, for that matter) never worked on 2.7.56 for me. This behavior is consistent in .77 as well.

As for holding the steering wheel before or during a lane change, I can confirm it is still not a requirement in .77 -- but I am in the US.
I believe this was a requirement in other countries (possibly all of Europe, maybe Australia) so Tesla implemented it in .77 *for those countries only*. Which is probably why 7.0 was releasing a little later abroad than in the US.
thanks Marc. I could have sworn this changing lanes into/out of HOV lanes worked on .56, though I am sure you're right :)

- - - Updated - - -

Auto lane change wouldn't work when my son drove the car, and we figured out that the setting is controlled by the driver profile-- and defaults to OFF. Something to check, anyway.
thanks Don. The system is turned on and works fine for non solid lines, just not solid lane dividers. Makes sense for most, though WA state insists on having entire HOV land have solid divide...

I have mine in auto too, which is why I said it doesn't bother me one bit.

But on the one occasion I didn't want them to turn on, is when I discovered this bug.

I noticed the headlight behavior a while ago. I don't think Tesla thinks it's a bug: they think it's a feature. They figure you are better off if you let them manage the headlights, so you are only allowed to turn them off until you end your drive and turn off the car. After that it's back to auto. Annoying. I noticed because when it rains and you turn the wipers on, the headlights go full on. Because the car has bright daytime running lights I see no reason to have headlights full on (unless conditions are so poor you want taillights on for safety) so I turn the headlights off each time.

I noticed the headlight behavior a while ago. I don't think Tesla thinks it's a bug: they think it's a feature. They figure you are better off if you let them manage the headlights, so you are only allowed to turn them off until you end your drive and turn off the car. After that it's back to auto. Annoying. I noticed because when it rains and you turn the wipers on, the headlights go full on. Because the car has bright daytime running lights I see no reason to have headlights full on (unless conditions are so poor you want taillights on for safety) so I turn the headlights off each time.

It is a law in CA that if you have your wipers on, you have to also have your headlights on. Tesla made that automatic.

... I noticed because when it rains and you turn the wipers on, the headlights go full on. Because the car has bright daytime running lights I see no reason to have headlights full on (unless conditions are so poor you want taillights on for safety) so I turn the headlights off each time.

FWIW, some State laws, such as here in California in the past few years, require that if your wipers are on, so are your headlights. It's interesting to me, because some folks over on the Lexus forums I used to frequent, complained for years about not having automation like the wiper/headlight connection we do with our MS. I suppose the only solution to please more people is create yet another setting owners could make, but then we'd probably have someone that would say there are too many choices! ;)

Enjoy that MS! I sure do!

I noticed because when it rains and you turn the wipers on, the headlights go full on. Because the car has bright daytime running lights I see no reason to have headlights full on (unless conditions are so poor you want taillights on for safety) so I turn the headlights off each time.

By the way, I see you're from Virginia.

It is also state law in Virginia to have your headlights on when wipers are active (and really a good idea anywhere), so you probably ought to just leave then alone :).

The only fiddling I do with the headlight setting is to change them from "auto" to "on" on days with light drizzle where the auto wipers are intermittent and otherwise the headlights would keep going off every few minutes.

The only fiddling I do with the headlight setting is to change them from "auto" to "on" on days with light drizzle where the auto wipers are intermittent and otherwise the headlights would keep going off every few minutes.
In that case, I would just leave it off and press the button for single wipe every once in a while. The single-wipe button doesn't turn on the headlights. I more or less only use auto when the sprinkle is too much to keep pressing the button and not enough for constant wiping, or if the rain is very inconsistent. I don't like how auto (low) often goes into high speed for moderate or light rain or occasionally wipes even when the windshield is dry.

In that case, I would just leave it off and press the button for single wipe every once in a while.

But I usually want my headlights on on those days. :).

I don't like how auto (low) often goes into high speed for moderate or light rain or occasionally wipes even when the windshield is dry.

This used to happen on earlier software versions, but lately I haven't encountered this issue very much at all.

It is a law in CA that if you have your wipers on, you have to also have your headlights on. Tesla made that automatic.

FWIW, some State laws, such as here in California in the past few years, require that if your wipers are on, so are your headlights. It's interesting to me, because some folks over on the Lexus forums I used to frequent, complained for years about not having automation like the wiper/headlight connection we do with our MS. I suppose the only solution to please more people is create yet another setting owners could make, but then we'd probably have someone that would say there are too many choices! ;)

Enjoy that MS! I sure do!

By the way, I see you're from Virginia.

It is also state law in Virginia to have your headlights on when wipers are active (and really a good idea anywhere), so you probably ought to just leave then alone :).

Yes, I know that is the law in my state, but I'm going on the theory that the running lights ARE headlights for this purpose. If anything, because of the way they're aimed, they are brighter to oncoming cars than the low-beams.

This used to happen on earlier software versions, but lately I haven't encountered this issue very much at all.
I started with 5.11 and am now on .77. It has been an issue as long as I remember and is definitely still an issue on v7. I think it's bad calibration if not a faulty sensor. When I told service that it was too sensitive at the annual, the only thing they did was clean the windshield at the sensor, which didn't help.

Lost driver assistance features and cruise control again today. Parked in a parking lot, all was well, came back ~10 minutes later and got in to find the error below. So, different from the first time it happened where I was driving at the time it disabled.

2015-11-16%2013.00.28-1920.jpg
Hopping out and letting the car reset didn't fix it this time, so drove ~15 miles or so to my next stop without cruise/autosteer/etc. I use cruise control a lot and it's weird not having it.

Got there, parked, came back 20 minutes later, and it had reset and everything was working again. *grumbles* No idea why it cut out in the first place.

Called Tesla, they're booked solid between now and the time I planned on making a trip to NJ and back. Hopefully I get to use autopilot for that trip because it'll be the first actual long trip I'll be making since the update and I was looking forward to it. :(