Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A couple posters in another thread have complained about HVAC heater performance in v7.0. At least one of them actually had the hardware replaced. Perhaps we are just seeing some failures + some user error (I previously posited in that thread that like cooling, the setpoint number in v7 is a few degrees cooler than v6, so perhaps the setpoint needs to be a few degrees higher for the equivalent amount of heat).

I am glad to see reports of others without issue! :) Maybe I'll finally hit the install button (I'm still on 6.2).

Maybe you should still wait, I see you're a VIN 78XX, see this: Heat / HVAC on 7.0 - poor performance? - Page 17

A couple posters in another thread have complained about HVAC heater performance in v7.0. At least one of them actually had the hardware replaced. Perhaps we are just seeing some failures + some user error (I previously posited in that thread that like cooling, the setpoint number in v7 is a few degrees cooler than v6, so perhaps the setpoint needs to be a few degrees higher for the equivalent amount of heat).

I am glad to see reports of others without issue! :) Maybe I'll finally hit the install button (I'm still on 6.2).

I was under the impression that those users were on .56, not .77. I spend almost no time on .56, so I can't comment as to how well/poorly it heated.

Maybe you should still wait, I see you're a VIN 78XX, see this: Heat / HVAC on 7.0 - poor performance? - Page 17

That is the thread I was referring to. :) I noticed your post there and agree that a few lines of code could treat cars with the older sensor in the steering column/driver footwell a little different than the newer cars with the sensor by the USB ports.

You can put it on either side, right or left. Below are the instructions from the current manual (both AP and non-AP) for the left scroll wheel. Just substitute the word "right" (below) if you want it on the right side.

"To choose what displays on the left side of the instrument panel, press the scroll wheel briefly until the available options are displayed. Roll the scroll wheel to choose Empty, Car Status, Clock, Media, Energy or Trips, etc. When the option you want is highlighted, tap the scroll wheel.
Note: The option you choose to display using the left scroll wheel is retained until you manually change it. It is also saved in your driver profile."

D'oh! I had not been holding the wheel down long enough. Thanks again, MSnow!
I'll up your rep again after I've spread some more love around, couldn't hit you twice in a row. *grumbles about arbitrary rep-rules*

Looks like 2.9.x versions are only going to Canada?

Doesn't look that way from this report in the tracker:

Updates by Country.jpg

Yes, that would be a good report. You can't tell with the existing reports because the versions are all lumped together. One outlier (such as installed at a SC) could make it look like it was being installed elsewhere.

I have my HVAC on Automatic. After 2.9.12 update I noticed that the fan blew quite a bit more vigorously when I stepped into the car. Interior is set at 20C and outside was 4C.

When on Automatic and you open up the HVAC control screens to set custom settings, does the Fresh Air/Recirc Air indicate light up black for the mode Auto is actually in? Or did that bug survive into 2.9.12 (it's been there since at least 2.5.71).

That's great, Hank. Thanks!

Would it be difficult to add one more layer of detail, and show (even if it is a different report) the number per country, by update? So, as an example, for version 2.9.12 it might show # Updates - 25, # Cars - 25, Belgium - 2, Canada-9, Switzerland - 1, Finland - 2, France - 1, Norway - 3, United states - 7.

(If those numbers are all correct I may have to change my screen name to Kreskin.)

I could be wrong, but I think that was more along the lines of what Ingineer was hoping for.

Last edited:
Here are my initial thoughts about 2.9.12 after my daily driving. There was a question about heating. It seems adequate set at 20°c and all settings in auto, range mode off. Not terribly cold here (Montreal) today but I think it's better than it was. The biggest difference to me was the autopilot seems a lot less jittery around intersections and highway exits. On the previous load (.106) it would veer right into exits and then (sometimes) correct its self. 2.9.12 seems much more stable in these situations but still not perfect as it did it on one occasion but corrected much faster. I was hoping to be able to select United States as regional setting and set the slider to km/h to get psi instead of bars for tire pressure but it didn't work. It seems tire pressure is still dependent on speed setting preference.

That's great, Hank. Thanks!

Would it be difficult to add one more layer of detail, and show (even if it is a different report) the number per country, by update? So, as an example, for version 2.9.12 it might show # Updates - 25, # Cars - 25, Belgium - 2, Canada-9, Switzerland - 1, Finland - 2, France - 1, Norway - 3, United states - 7.

It's not as easy as the previous report. It would have to be like the last report on the page "Updates by Model/Build/AP" instead of in a crosstab chart (i.e. like a Pivot Table in excel). I'll look into it.

Another option would be to go to the full data extract, and put "2.9.12" in the search box and then sort by country to see how many in each country get a specific update.

I've been on 6.2, however have a Ranger at my house right now fixing my trunk latch and installing a new charge port, so... I think It will require updating. I'll be joining you all with V7. I'll see what changes I get with the latest version.:confused:

Yep - when I had my charge port changed it required reloading the firmware (even if it was the same version). You will likely get whatever the Ranger has on his notebook computer as the latest version.

Mike

Yep - when I had my charge port changed it required reloading the firmware (even if it was the same version). You will likely get whatever the Ranger has on his notebook computer as the latest version.
Interesting that this would require a "reload". But I was surprised when I scheduled my 12500 mile service and was told that the service center would have to confirm with HQ if they could avoid downgrading me to v7. I politely told them that I'd skip the service if the downgrade to v7 was required.
Has anyone else who is still on 6.2 had their car serviced and been able to stay on 6.2?

It's funny that Tesla insists on reloading firmware for any hardware change, especially because other people have swapped parts without Tesla's help and no firmware update was needed. In fact I seem to remember someone replaced their charge port with a motorized one, and not only did they not do a firmware update, the motorized part of the port worked just fine!