Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting that this would require a "reload". But I was surprised when I scheduled my 12500 mile service and was told that the service center would have to confirm with HQ if they could avoid downgrading me to v7. I politely told them that I'd skip the service if the downgrade to v7 was required.
Has anyone else who is still on 6.2 had their car serviced and been able to stay on 6.2?

I didn't want 7 for my latest service, but was phoned before service actually began informing me that it was not possible to stay on 6.2 and get the service.

So I said, "OK".

Needed the new drivetrain more than 6.2

I didn't want 7 for my latest service, but was phoned before service actually began informing me that it was not possible to stay on 6.2 and get the service.

So I said, "OK".

This would be an advantage to Ranger service. I bet a Ranger, standing in your garage, with you breathing over his shoulder, would be willing to skip updating the firmware unless he got to a point where a part wouldn't work without it (which I highly doubt would actually happen)
But in their own shop it's easier for them to ignore what you want and do what they want instead.

So I said, "OK".

This is a standard 12500 mile service (which I assume includes dealing with the recall). If they pretend that this requires them to downgrade my firmware Tesla and I will have a disagreement in our future.
That's why I'm trying to find out if there is a pattern of forcing people onto the latest firmware whenever they are at the SC.

I had my car serviced and the trunk strut and rear appliqué replaced without being upgraded to v7 after explicitly asking and having them note on the service order not to be upgraded to v7. They said it is not a problem as long as they don't have to replace a programmable part. I can understand HQ mandating firmware flashes (not speaking to which version) when programmable parts are replaced because they likely do not test for parts within a car to be at mismatched levels, even if it might just be an innocuous difference between the firmware versions.

This doesn't bode well for my Feb annual service visit when I'm planning on getting the LTE upgrade and maybe the folding mirrors and a possible DU replacement. I'm hoping they don't have to downgrade to 7.0, but I think I may be out of luck with that (even though LTE works fine on 6.2).
I'm naively hoping that by Feb we might have a much improved v7.1 that will be a reasonable thing to update to...

This doesn't bode well for my Feb annual service visit when I'm planning on getting the LTE upgrade and maybe the folding mirrors and a possible DU replacement. I'm hoping they don't have to downgrade to 7.0, but I think I may be out of luck with that (even though LTE works fine on 6.2).

I guarantee that they will force v7 on you when you get those done. The LTE and folding mirrors require flashes, with the folding mirror requiring a reflash of the MCU. My retrofit was done in parts. I got flashed when the mirrors were changed and I had the auto-fold slider, but the mirrors wouldn't respond to it. Took additional hardware changes to make it happen. I drove around about a week able to play with the mirror button that did nothing. The DU could require a reflash, but I can't recall the consensus around that.

Well, the one I just got was 2.9.12 and I don't think I'm running "version 9", I'm pretty sure it's still version 7.0 so I don't think that's it.

The versioning at Tesla is rather... odd... to say the least, how do you have version 7 without that number appearing in the version number anywhere????

Well then, I'm glad I used the term hypothesis, and not theory, as it would appear clear that I was wrong ;)

Groundswell asked for the temp to be restored to the dashboard screen,
but we did not want the temperature removed from the touchscreen.

We also wanted day of week, date, and time back, and to show
the car's estimate of the interior temperature, as used by the
climate control.

Perhaps they are not being responsive but just making random
changes in the user interface for no good reasons?

Since 2.9.12 seems to have restored HVAC functions, did it also restore the climate tab interface? That would be huge, IMO. Specifically, this is what I'm wondering about:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    510.8 KB · Views: 96
The problem is, not everyone really does want the same thing, so Tesla, just like any mfgr has to pick and choose what it deems right. Me, e.g. I'll love it when time is back on my IC where it was the first few days I owned my MS before I lost it with V7.0, but given the small IC display and my not being able to see the upper half of the speed digits and what's at the top and left/right upper corners as it is (see other threads on that), I personally would not prioritize having a DOW and date back on the IC ... but that's just me. ;)

The problem is, not everyone really does want the same thing, so Tesla, just like any mfgr has to pick and choose what it deems right. Me, e.g. I'll love it when time is back on my IC where it was the first few days I owned my MS before I lost it with V7.0, but given the small IC display and my not being able to see the upper half of the speed digits and what's at the top and left/right upper corners as it is (see other threads on that), I personally would not prioritize having a DOW and date back on the IC ... but that's just me. ;)

I agree with this ^^. Tesla shouldn't be reacting to the squeaky wheel, they need to do the right thing that makes the most sense. Having the time, date, day and date of week and temp on the center screen allows the driver and passengers to see it. We don't need three clocks or multiple dates in an attempt to make a few people happy.

Groundswell asked for the temp to be restored to the dashboard screen,
but we did not want the temperature removed from the touchscreen.

We also wanted day of week, date, and time back, and to show
the car's estimate of the interior temperature, as used by the
climate control.

Perhaps they are not being responsive but just making random
changes in the user interface for no good reasons?

People requested a bunch of stuff back on IC, and on basis of that, Tesla added back time and temp in next update. That was responsive. They are not going to please everybody every time, and not going to respond to every request. It's not random.