Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if my problem is related to the recent map update or recent software update, but last night all of the place names on my centre screen map were blurry. I rebooted both screens but this didn't resolve the problem. Lighting was in night mode. Today I'll see if the words are blurred on daytime brightness as well.
I've posted this on the Map Update thread as well to see if anyone else is having a similar experience.
I'm not sure if this is what you are seeing, but I sometimes see "blurry" text at certain zoom levels, particularly in the "route" view with a destination programmed. Next time you see the blurry text, try zooming out or in. Not that that fixes it, but it might show if it's text scaling that is causing the blurriness.

Is there a way to trigger an install of an update remotely? I got an update notice and I'm traveling. My car is parked at the airport and it would be nice for the update to go ahead and install while I'm out of town.
No. Anyway it's best to wait until you get home and do it overnight. If something goes wrong with the update, would you rather have it happen at the airport or at home?

Yesterday I noticed something new (maybe not very new, since i haven't been on a trip for a while with marginal battery to get to my destination).

When the predicted arrival battery level in the Trip graph drops below 6%, there's a popup message on the left side of the dashboard and on the Nav app saying "Stay below 100 km/h to reach destination" and then if you don't slow down, it re-posts the message again with a lower speed. It used to just say "Drive slowly to reach destination". And now it shows "--" for any arrival battery level below 6% rather than just below zero (actually, I think they used to show negative numbers down to -10% or so). My guess is they don't want people counting on the last 5% so they don't show it any more in the prediction.

The nav software has been buggy - with periodic slowdowns or freezes, which get cleared by a reboot. It was likely just a coincidence that I had a slowdown within 24 hours of getting the latest update.

I've reported all of the problems I see to Tesla - a number of them were reported a long time ago - and I actually can't recall any of the problems that I've reported ever being fixed...

Another update and the car continues to listen my podcasts by itself overnight. Frustrating! Seriously, why can't they just fix this problem!? I really just want the firmware my car came with when I picked it up on March 7, 2014. The only thing I'd miss is the auto-open garage door but I'd take the trade-off in an instant.

Another update and the car continues to listen my podcasts by itself overnight. Frustrating! Seriously, why can't they just fix this problem!? I really just want the firmware my car came with when I picked it up on March 7, 2014. The only thing I'd miss is the auto-open garage door but I'd take the trade-off in an instant.
I'd give up every single improvement to go back to v6.

I'd give up every single improvement to go back to v6.

I'm with you on this on Jerry. It seems like we are getting all the bugs without any of the benefits.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree this is a sloppy bug. But I wouldn't say it is low priority. They introduced a feature/bug last year that muted the audio when you got in the car. There was a lot of complaining about that and eventually the non-muting behavior was restored. I think we just need to escalate this, but other than posting on this thread I'm not sure how. I will have my latest update installed tomorrow then I will know if the problem is resolved or I need to start complaining more loudly.

Also, good to know this also happens with XM. I don't have XM so I wouldn't have known about that. I also haven't had issues with the maps, but I don't depend on them very often.

It looks like the latest update I got yesterday had corrected the radio problem. I will report back in a few days with the exact FW rev number if this continues to problem free.

Personal request:
Can you collaborate with Hank (and whoever else is strongly interested) to draft a capture of the issues/concerns and recommendations (like Hank's letter re: HP)?

I was forced to the latest firmware update during my SC visit last week. While I have loudly voiced my concerns over the IC UI update, other people have posted much more succinct summaries of all the issues, so we should just find those.

After living with the 7.x update, the following are now what I consider "must fix" issues in order of importance:
  1. The low contrast on the speedo digits. Completely unreadable in daylight, and BARELY readable otherwise.
  2. Swap Odo and SOC indicators. Current positions make no sense
  3. Add Date back to IC
  4. Add Temp back to touchscreen
  5. Add back the "Custom" indicators on the A/C controls on the touchscreen.

But #1 is by far the most critical thing to fix compared to 2-4.

That said, here are issues "I can live with" that I thought would be huge annoyances (they're still annoying, but I'll deal)
  • Toy car is still a joke
  • Headlight wash on toy car isn't needed
  • Bring back the OPTION to display Trip A and Trip B to the IC
  • Move low and high beam idiot lights back to the center rather than banished to the hinterlands of the IC

(like Hank's letter re: HP)?

What's this? You mean WK57's letter about HP?

Reactions: hiroshiy
I was forced to the latest firmware update during my SC visit last week. While I have loudly voiced my concerns over the IC UI update, other people have posted much more succinct summaries of all the issues, so we should just find those.

After living with the 7.x update, the following are now what I consider "must fix" issues in order of importance:
  1. The low contrast on the speedo digits. Completely unreadable in daylight, and BARELY readable otherwise.
  3. Add Date back to IC

But #1 is by far the most critical thing to fix compared to 2-4.

That said, here are issues "I can live with" that I thought would be huge annoyances (they're still annoying, but I'll deal)
  • Move low and high beam idiot lights back to the center rather than banished to the hinterlands of the IC

I'd put the A and B trip in the must fix section.

The turn signal indicators are too small and out of the line of site. I miss seeing them frequently.

The three icons in the current trip display take up space and serve no useful purpose. Icons are supposed to either express state (like the high beam indicators), or be a button for performing some action. These do neither. I have never figured out what the squiggly road icon is supposed to represent, and the middle clock icon doesn't correctly represent all the items in the column.

The big problem with the toy car is that if you have a light coloured car, it's worse than the headlight wash for night driving.

Bring back the day and date on the screen (the font on the calendar icon is too thin to be readable in many cases.

The Navigon screen is now in night mode even in the daytime--very hard to read.

The arrows on the bottom popup in the Navigon screen don't show what the lanes do the way the side popup did. I suspect a lot of folks don't realize what they are supposed to represent (at least not at first). Example: If you have six arrows, which ones are straight, which ones are left/right turn only. You used to get a clue, now you just have to guess. Totally awful.

And while we're on software defects, although this didn't start with v7, the fonts on Google maps are just too darn small. If you use the satellite view they blend in with the background and are unreadable. Night view is mostly unreadable regardless of satellite setting.

Information for the driver should be available at a glance, you shouldn’t have to study the display for several seconds. Yes, Apple does is, but no one dies if they have to study the display on their phone to figure out what's going on (doesn’t count the idiots who drive and text).

And while we're on software defects, although this didn't start with v7, the fonts on Google maps are just too darn small. If you use the satellite view they blend in with the background and are unreadable. Night view is mostly unreadable regardless of satellite setting.

Information for the driver should be available at a glance, you shouldn’t have to study the display for several seconds. Yes, Apple does is, but no one dies if they have to study the display on their phone to figure out what's going on (doesn’t count the idiots who drive and text).

This appears to be a Google issue, not Tesla. Also, it is not as trivial a problem as it may seem. There's always a balance to be struck between the size of the text and the amount of detail to include at the zoom level. The larger the text gets, the less detail - and it has to scale across the maps. A brief web search shows that this complaint exists across devices and platforms, and that is all goes back to the Google API. Considering some of the dates on the complaints, I get the feeling this is an issue that won't be solved without dumping Google Maps and moving to another solution.

3. Add Date back to IC

Agree. Unfortunately, it seems that Tesla's priorities are elsewhere at the moment. I doubt that they'll be writing non-AP specific code anytime soon. However, the temp/date/HVAC status indicators affect all cars equally and I would hope those would be quick and easy modifications. The fact that they affect the entire user base likely makes them more attractive UI design suggestions so I'd start with those.

This appears to be a Google issue, not Tesla.

Actually, there used to be a UI setting for 2x font on the Nav app.

This appears to be a Google issue, not Tesla. Also, it is not as trivial a problem as it may seem.
I never said it was trivial, only that it was a problem. And initially, there were two font settings: too small and unreadable. Tesla removed the unreadable one as they found no one, or at least very few, used it. So Tesla has some control.

While transporting something in my frunk yesterday, the carpet got a little damp, so I wanted to leave the frunk open to dry out. I had parked the car on the driveway, and lowered but didn't close the frunk, so I could pull the car up a few feet into the garage.

This brought up a larger toy car on the left side of the dashboard - showing a warning indicator for the frunk (indicating it wasn't closed) plus a red warning at the driver seat because I didn't have my seat belt fastened.

This is the type of information which should be displayed with the toy car inside the speedometer - useful status information about the car - not showing the turn signals, break lights or headlights (most of which is already indicated elsewhere on the dashboard).

How hard did you push about not getting the update? I ask because we'll be in that situation later in the year. Would prefer to have SC do service and NOT update from 6.2.

I pushed (requested) very hard... I begged and pleaded for them not to update the firmware. But they had to replace the drive unit and do the LTE retrofit, either of which required a firmware update for all components of the car.

So I'm guessing that if you need the minimum of service (wiper blades, fluids, tire rotation) they *might* be able to not update the firmware, but if your car needs anything more than that, even just pulling the logs or installing any TSBs, they likely will be forced to do a FW update.