Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How high were you charging? 100%?

I get it as early as 93% on my 70D. Since mine is a 75kWh pack, I've played around with setting it at 93% to be equivalent of 90% of the underlying pack capacity, but after the car chewed me out about it every few days on 2.22 I gave up on it.

My guess is that it's not new to 2.30, it's rather the reboot of the CID results in previously dismissed range warnings resetting and coming back.

I think that range charge warning has always been there. I've gotten it several times over the past 2 years, after forgetting to set the charge limit back to 90% or less after a range charge, and then subsequently charging more than once or twice in a row at home.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: msnow
I got overexcited and did a thing: I went and drove inside the geofence.

Now it's hours later, and still no update notification. My car is still on 2.28.19.

i THINK THEY'RE ON TO US :eek:

Yeah hasn't worked for me either!

I had to stop for a Supercharge at West Palm Beach, Florida earlier today. I remember reading it was on the geofence list and that you could tell a download was processing by slowness of the CID. Sure enough, I got the update notification about 15-20 min after these shots.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
It was really annoying driving on I-95 with a speedometer that updated only once a minute for about 10 minutes. Thankfully, my aircon, turn signal chimes, and media player worked just fine, even if the display didn't show it. I'm still taking 15+ minutes to route even simple locations in the Nav (like Savannah airport to my hotel 2 miles away, I got to the hotel before it finished "Nav system is initializing"), though I haven't applied the update as I'm still a couple hours away from home.

Yes, the charge > 90% notification has been there for a really long time. To trigger it you have to move it to 90% or below, then do a charge, then move ot over 90% and leave it there for a few charges.

When you see the CID or IC get slow to update or laggy on controls, the update has been downloaded already and they are applying the patch and then verifying the signatures. As soon as they pass verification, it will show you the alarm clock and then response speed will return to normal. This usually takes about 5-10 minutes at most. It will not affect HVAC because that's an external system, but things such as screen updates, control responses, navigation responses, etc will be very laggy. You may notice a slight slowdown of the CID while the patch download is taking place, but this is usually pretty quick, even on cellular, as it's rarely over 100 megs. Maybe a really large update, such as 8.0 will be larger though.

Did I get everyone's questions covered?

@Ingineer I understood that. Was just sharing my experience. Thanks for confirming!

Are others having Nav issues over the past week as well, or is my car acting up? Multiple reboots haven't helped. I still often get missing tiles or 10+ minutes of Nav initializing. It has been very annoying. Thankfully, I have my phone mounted next to the 17", so Waze has been trusty as always.

Went by the service center for a different concern but asked the tech there if there was geofence updates. He told me only the loaner cars are triggered to update inside the geofence but not customer cars. After over 6 failed attempts to trigger I think I won't be trying this any longer.

@Ingineer I understood that. Was just sharing my experience. Thanks for confirming!

Are others having Nav issues over the past week as well, or is my car acting up? Multiple reboots haven't helped. I still often get missing tiles or 10+ minutes of Nav initializing. It has been very annoying. Thankfully, I have my phone mounted next to the 17", so Waze has been trusty as always.
No lag issues here but Nav is still misrouting as usual.

As has been proven many times, the service techs really don'y know that much about the inner workings of the software. The geofence trigger most definitely is a proven thing, but as I have repeatedly stated, just because the trigger is pulled, doesn't mean you'll get an update.

Reactions: Cyclone and Tree95
As has been proven many times, the service techs really don'y know that much about the inner workings of the software. The geofence trigger most definitely is a proven thing, but as I have repeatedly stated, just because the trigger is pulled, doesn't mean you'll get an update.
Perhaps tech not knowledgable but curious is anyone in Oregon am has gotten an update 10-15 mins after visiting service center here?

I noticed that with the latest update 2.32.23 the USB playback pauses now when leaving the car and continues playing when the car is turned back on. Even through a reset of the CID, which is standard procedure for me after an update is done.
Apparently they're working hard on the media player features (or lack thereof) with the Dolby sounding better and better and the other new feature. Way to go Tesla! :)
These might be features they have ready for version 8 but figured they could release now and get some feedback

I wish to add that since the update I had to reboot both systems and AP has randomly slowed down with no vehicle in front and no message about steering wheel. I just accelerated with my pedal when it has happened. At least 3 times

@Ingineer

Yep, really bad routing....like miles away from my location, slow/missing tiles etc but this all existed prior to my 2.32.23 update so I blame it on Google :p . Its usually solved with a reboot or when I get some distance from the affected area. Like you, I rely on Waze so no matter to me either, but I do like seeing the big, blue, fully-tiled Pacific on my CID......it makes me grateful to be alive.

No 10+ minute initializing though, something's not right with that.

Attachments

• 071626 024.JPG
    071626 024.JPG
    364.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Informative
Some observations on v2.32.23. I upgraded to this version last night from 2.28.19.

Autopilot

This is the best version I've seen in several months. I know the actual AP module wasn't updated, but whatever other algorithms they've tweaked have made a marked difference. The lane keeping is tighter and more accurate. Sensing of the lane lines appears to be improved, including in marginal conditions such as faded or poorly striped lanes. I had been having difficulty with detection of solid yellow lines on the left side of the left lane, that appears to be improved as well, but not perfect.

I was brave enough today to allow AP to take a freeway interconnecting ramp from southbound Sam Houston Tollway (Beltway 8) to westbound Katy Freeway (I-10). TACC slowed the car on the ramp, and AP kept it between the lane lines without intervention, completed the turn on the interconnecting ramp, and then TACC sped back up to set speed as it was entering the freeway. I don't think any version of AP I've seen before could have managed this.

There appears to be a new, higher threshold for engaging AP. I was driving on Hwy 99 (Grand Parkway) this afternoon in light rain with AP engaged, and the rain turned heavy. I disengaged AP and drove manually. I noticed in the instrument cluster that the lane lines were now only being detected at the "black line" level, which is a step lower in confidence than the "black+gray line" level. AP would not let me reengage under this condition. I have not seen this behavior before. Prior to this, AP would let you engage in most low confidence situations.

Here is a shot of the IC while driving with TACC only in heavy rain. Note that the lane lines are only detected at the "black line" level, and the AP steering wheel icon is not present, indicating that AP cannot be engaged.

[01]aprain-noap.jpg

Two minutes later the heavy rain cleared and the gray+black lane lines came back, along with the ability to reengage AP:

[02]aprain-ap.jpg

Audio / Dolby

I have the Ultra HiFi Sound package, and I've always been pretty disappointed in its performance. While the sound is clear and has plenty of bass, the sound stage is very front-heavy with virtually no presence in the rear, and the imaging just blows. All sound always sounds like it's coming from directly behind the main display, with virtually no stereo separation. Mid-range and mid-bass notes are muddled and lack definition. I have always run the system with Dolby Surround turned off because it affects bass output too much.

After this update, I tried with Dolby Surround turned on and there is a marked improvement in the sound. For the first time, there is some stereo imaging and somewhat of a soundstage presence. Here are my settings:

[01]dolbysettings.jpg

[02]dolbysettings.jpg

I've also gone into the Slacker account that Tesla provided with the car (e-mail [email protected] if you need to get it) and switched the feed to 320 Kbps high quality. That's a marked improvement in sound quality right there, and this update jacks it up another notch.

I still don't feel that the sound system is that good, the stock audio system I had in my Audi A6 was vastly superior. You shouldn't need DSP processing to make the sound imaging and staging come out -- that indicates that the system itself is of an inferior design and the DSP processing is a band-aid. Nevertheless, any improvement is welcome.

I haven't yet noticed any other major items that have changed in this version, but I will post them here if I see them.

I also got the upgrade to 2.32.23. I always do them right away. For some reason my right front passenger side sensor was red on an empty freeway so AP having me on the reflectors on the left side. Recently had them replaced due to an auto accident while car was parked so it may be an issue from that. I had to turn off autosteer. Anyone else having any "phantom" sensor objects directing AP?

Some observations on v2.32.23. I upgraded to this version last night from 2.28.19. I haven't yet noticed any other major items that have changed in this version, but I will post them here if I see them.

I broke my foot Friday and have been dying to try out 2.32.23 since Friday night's update. You just gave me a front row seat, thank you! I'm headed straight to the 10W/405S intersection as soon as I can drive again. Oh wait, my car can drive it for me now!

Last edited:
  • Funny
I just received 2.32.23 over 3G after a pass by the Dublin (CA, USA) Service Center. Most of the download and verification process took place during my drive home, during which the user interface on the CID was very laggy, map tiles weren't updating / displaying, and the 3G signal strengh indicator was appearing and disappearing. I totally expected this due to prior reports here on TMC (and also because I know the CID's CPU is underpowered anyway), and critical driving functions were not affected. However I could picture some less-informed owner totally freaking out, especially if they'd just arrived or left a service center geofence and they were driving somewhere and it suddenly appeared that their CID was malfunctioning. I'm a bit concerned about that, but I'm not sure what steps could be done to mitigate it.

Bruce.

There appears to be a new, higher threshold for engaging AP. I was driving on Hwy 99 (Grand Parkway) this afternoon in light rain with AP engaged, and the rain turned heavy. I disengaged AP and drove manually. I noticed in the instrument cluster that the lane lines were now only being detected at the "black line" level, which is a step lower in confidence than the "black+gray line" level. AP would not let me reengage under this condition. I have not seen this behavior before. Prior to this, AP would let you engage in most low confidence situations.

Here is a shot of the IC while driving with TACC only in heavy rain. Note that the lane lines are only detected at the "black line" level, and the AP steering wheel icon is not present, indicating that AP cannot be engaged.

[01]aprain-noap.jpg

Two minutes later the heavy rain cleared and the gray+black lane lines came back, along with the ability to reengage AP:

[02]aprain-ap.jpg

FYI that AP has always behaved in the following way ever since it came out: if the lanes are indicated in the IC as black, Autosteer will NOT be available for you to engage. If the lanes are indicated in gray, Autosteer will be available. You can confirm this by the lack, or presence of the steering wheel indicator, to the right if your current speed.

There is an exception to this when you are going slowly and there is a car close enough in front that AP can track.

Now, it is very possible that AP in the newer FW version is more "picky" in that the lanes will appear black in conditions where they used to appear gray before, however the IC indication of whether AP is available or not has been consistent since its inception.

Reactions: Matias