Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this can all be placebo-effect, but to my taste, Autopilot has gotten much more nervous than it used to be before 2.16.17. Was driving home today under what I would call perfect lighting on the highway, and the car made a lot of small, jerky corrections, trying to stay centered in the lane. Also, it seemed to be sticking to the right lane more aggressively than before.

Reactions: Footbag
I recently updated to 2.16.17, and while my volume wheel on the steering wheel is working now, and XM stations changing more quickly, I am now having a problem that I had not had since a few firmware revisions ago: more often than not, I cannot disconnect a handsfree call using the center touchscreen or the wheel on the right side of the steering wheel. It just doesn't respond to any input when trying to disconnect. Not sure if this is only me, but I thought I'd mention it.

Not sure what's going on here but earlier today there was a post in a different thread asking if the newest update solved the supercharger fire issue. I've been trying to reply (saying I think that was fixed a few updates ago) but I keep getting redirected to this thread with over 2,000 posts. What happened to the original thread?

I know this can all be placebo-effect, but to my taste, Autopilot has gotten much more nervous than it used to be before 2.16.17. Was driving home today under what I would call perfect lighting on the highway, and the car made a lot of small, jerky corrections, trying to stay centered in the lane. Also, it seemed to be sticking to the right lane more aggressively than before.

I have the same opinion post 2.16.17, more jerky and staying (uncomfortably) close to the right side of the lane.

Interesting posts here:

First, those saying vampire drain has increased on 2.16.17: I lost about 2 rated miles over 8 hours today--which is par for the course for me (I typically see a loss of 6 miles a day). So I don't see a change here.

For those saying autopilot seems more nervous: I drive almost the exact same 75-80 miles most days, much of it on autopilot. I have noticed zero significant differences in the latest build when compared to 2.14.66 (my previous version).

I had a better experience with auto-pilot when it first came out, personally. Since 7.1 it has definitely felt more skittish and seems to keep the lane less accurately. I've noticed that in areas where you drive over the crest of hills, the car seems to panic a bit when it can't see the road and I inevitably have to take control to keep the car in the lane/on the road. I can't wait for the update that resolves that particular behavior.

Hmm, I can't disagree that lately Autoilot seems to be more back in the gutter (right side) and it's been a bit all over the road at times, but I was pretty sure it was big gusts of wind, I'm not sure there's a lot of code to specifically deal with that. And I can't say for sure that this is just since the update.

Rainbow road is actually potentially useful as a more pronounced indicator that autosteer is on. The little grey vs. blue steering wheel icon is easy to ignore. On a couple of occasions I thought I activated auto-steer but for some reason it only activated TACC, resulting with me surprised why the car is leaving the lane on the first curve. Now, if there only was a way to enable it as a default auto-steer indicator...
I agree- it's safer when the autosteer activity is more easily recognised as on or off....

I agree completely re: hard to discount the placebo effect when we gauge things like autosteer behaviour.
Interestingly, I installed the new software yesterday, and driving to work this morning thought to myself "wow, autosteer is back to the confident, stable, confidence-inspiring patterns it displayed 2 updates ago"!! So I don't know what changed , if anything :)
BTW, I'm in Australia, so who knows? Maybe ours got better when yours got worse!?

I had a AEB activation today on 2.6.17. It seems it's evolved from the stage of simply reducing crash velocity, to actively interfering with driving. Things were under control but the computer hit the brakes HARD, it's disconcerting to feel brake pedal sinking under your foot as the car brakes much harder than you intended. I didn't actually get close to hitting anyone. The experience kinda just sucked. Dashcam recorded -1G.

hmmmm.

I had a AEB activation today on 2.6.17. It seems it's evolved from the stage of simply reducing crash velocity, to actively interfering with driving. Things were under control but the computer hit the brakes HARD, it's disconcerting to feel brake pedal sinking under your foot as the car brakes much harder than you intended. I didn't actually get close to hitting anyone. The experience kinda just sucked. Dashcam recorded -1G.

Will you be posting a video?

Updated 2 days ago to 2.16.17 but got the "Automatic Emergency Breaking Disabled" message twice when entering the car in the morning. I usually use summon to get the car out the garage but both days had to manually back out. Is this something that goes away or I should call support? Not sure how to tell if it reactivates when I drive or not..