Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That answers my question regarding whether the Service Center installed it because they replaced my charge port motor or just for fun -- apparently the latter. A few days later, I had a spontaneous reboot when I returned to the parked car -- spent several minutes waiting for it to come up to drivable state. Probably it had gone catatonic shortly after I walked away after parking, because it had been unresponsive to the remote app. No apparent reason, though the center display had been balky before I parked, and I'd been getting music playback skips. First time it's happened to me.
Forgot to mention: The Service Center had some trouble installing the update. They evidently had to try at least 3x to get a good install. Don't know why.

Neither of my Model S have ever done that. Perhaps my vehicles are "unusual" in that they don't have the problem described. I've never seen that behavior in a loaner either.

When I first got my car and discovered this problem I quickly found out on this site that it was not universal. Sure, a lot of us have the issue and therefore can't trust Nav but others like you two don't. The only conclusion I can make from that is it must be geographical.
The issue of getting rerouted without choice or notification is universal and very fixable.

Last edited:
FYI 2.17.95 updated the following systems (from 2.17.37):

CID (Center Display)
IC (Instrument Cluster)
Gateway
Parking Brake

Not much this time.

Yay. If only Tesla would include just that in their release notes per release, even preceded with the catchall "bug fixes and minor changes" (which is to say, nothing much to see here - move along), it would be sooooooooooo much better than including exactly nothing at all.

Reactions: msnow
... and we have the first report of 2.18.18 (still calls itself 7.1 it seems). That's the 32nd build of 7.1 that we have reports for (ignoring betas).

IIRC the 6.x rollout was very similar. 6.0 didn't last long, 6.1 came out within a couple of months and had many more features and subreleases.
But then again, 6.2 had even more dot releases as we were agonizingly waiting for 7.0 to come out with AutoPilot...

Looking at the big picture, it seems like we’ve transitioned from an era of looking forward to updates because they brought new features, to an era of getting new 7.1 builds that seem as likely to break some feature (an example being auto-dimming high beams) as to add new functionality, so there is no net forward progress. I suppose the thing to do is to wait to install new updates in order to see whether the consensus on this forum is that they are beneficial on balance.

Reactions: JenniferQ
Regarding the post above by sillydriver.... exactly what "NEW" software features are we waiting for? Is there some new feature or functionality that is pending? I cannot recall any... but would like to know what to look forward to? Perhaps you guys could fill me in on what is coming to AP cars that is not yet here....

BTW, all features and functions that I have in my 2/16 build with 2.17.37 appear to work perfectly... audio, high beams, lane keeping... etc.

However I do not use summon or auto park. The one thing that needs some amount of improvement is Blind Side warning but that is not a new feature.

Regarding the post above by sillydriver.... exactly what "NEW" software features are we waiting for? Is there some new feature or functionality that is pending? I cannot recall any... but would like to know what to look forward to? Perhaps you guys could fill me in on what is coming to AP cars that is not yet here....

BTW, all features and functions that I have in my 2/16 build with 2.17.37 appear to work perfectly... audio, high beams, lane keeping... etc.

However I do not use summon or auto park. The one thing that needs some amount of improvement is Blind Side warning but that is not a new feature.

I think we have been waiting for a number of features to be completed or built out so they have parity with other brands even instead of releasing new features like Summon or breaking things. Off the top of my head these include a lot of nav improvements like waypoints, taking it out of "beta" for trip planner, support for improved mobile app control for cold weather items, better audio and app integration has been called out a lot, etc.

Reactions: Boatguy
IIRC the 6.x rollout was very similar. 6.0 didn't last long, 6.1 came out within a couple of months and had many more features and subreleases.
But then again, 6.2 had even more dot releases as we were agonizingly waiting for 7.0 to come out with AutoPilot...
6.2 had a total of 23 releases that we got reports for (ignoring the unicorns that appear to be beta versions that people recorded). It used two middle digits (2.4 and 2.5). 7.1 so far has 32 builds with 10 middle digits 2.9 - 2.18.
That does seem like a change. Is it significant? I don't know.

I think we have been waiting for a number of features to be completed or built out so they have parity with other brands even instead of releasing new features like Summon or breaking things. Off the top of my head these include a lot of nav improvements like waypoints, taking it out of "beta" for trip planner, support for improved mobile app control for cold weather items, better audio and app integration has been called out a lot, etc.

Ok, I understand that Travail, but back to my point, we are actually waiting for ZERO, NONE, NADA "promised" new features as announced by Tesla/Elon. Now, I may be wrong in this regard, but the only few I can recall which is not a new feature at all is a so called correction to the Rated Miles algorithm in the 90 battery pack cars. But again that is not a new feature but was promised as coming.

The other thing that would be an actual new feature is the projection of apps from your smart phone to the 17" display via some mirroring software mechanism. This I recall too, attributed to coming from Elon when he was asked about the Software Developer's Kit.

Is there anything else??

Ok, I understand that Travail, but back to my point, we are actually waiting for ZERO, NONE, NADA "promised" new features as announced by Tesla/Elon. Now, I may be wrong in this regard, but the only few I can recall which is not a new feature at all is a so called correction to the Rated Miles algorithm in the 90 battery pack cars. But again that is not a new feature but was promised as coming.

The other thing that would be an actual new feature is the projection of apps from your smart phone to the 17" display via some mirroring software mechanism. This I recall too, attributed to coming from Elon when he was asked about the Software Developer's Kit.

Is there anything else??
If you aren't waiting for promised features still, you have an awfully forgiving view on all of the autopilot features, as few of them so far live up to Elon's stated descriptions.
To recap:
- hands free on ramp to off ramp
- read speed limit signs and automatically adjust your speed.
- automatically pull out of your garage and meet you at your front door (on private property)

And that's just autopilot, other promised features include:
- third party apps
- charge scheduling where you tell it your departure time instead of the charge start time.
And many more.

We could also get in to the half baked ones like the fact that trip planner is "beta" and a high school student working alone managed a much better version in his spare time. Or so many other examples.

If you think tesla is done at the current firmware, why are you still upgrading?

Is there anything else??
Live Supercharger status of some form, like is provided at SpaceX facility in Hawthorne.

Reactions: Boatguy
- read speed limit signs and automatically adjust your speed.
Technically this has been partially delivered. If you turn on auto-steer and only drive on highways that the car things are non-divided, you can set your TACC limit to 90mph and the car will automatically apply an actual target speed of speedlimit+5 or less that is automatically adjusted whenever a new speed limit sign is recognized. The "or less" comes from it dipping to lower speeds going into some turns.