Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 7.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the same thing and though it was curious... I wonder if this update gathers some metrics for them in advance of the 8.0 rollout.

After being stuck at 2.28.19 for nearly 2 months I got 2.36.31 this morning (just entered into tracker). It's interesting to me that Tesla appears to be doing a fairly wide release of a 7.1 update with 8.0 possibly coming in less than a week. Could there be something they need to prepare before the new major version? Do they need to update the installer so it can install the update?

No significant release notes with 2.28.19 and I didn't notice any changes in behavior during my brief drive this morning.

Just got the 2.36.31 update after getting 2.36.17 at the dealership last week for my first annual checkup and having been on 2.28.19 for quite a while before that. I have no idea if this is true or not but I was kind of thinking that maybe these last few updates w/ no notes was to sort of run the 8.0 radar firmware in data collection mode but still drive the car on 7.1. I figure they do this internally anyway but if they could do it in a safe way it would be an easy way to test some of the new radar things in the real world without anyone really knowing what was going on.

I got the same thing and though it was curious... I wonder if this update gathers some metrics for them in advance of the 8.0 rollout.

• Informative
Reactions: PacManMX
Just got the 2.36.31 update after getting 2.36.17 at the dealership last week for my first annual checkup and having been on 2.28.19 for quite a while before that. I have no idea if this is true or not but I was kind of thinking that maybe these last few updates w/ no notes was to sort of run the 8.0 radar firmware in data collection mode but still drive the car on 7.1. I figure they do this internally anyway but if they could do it in a safe way it would be an easy way to test some of the new radar things in the real world without anyone really knowing what was going on.
I understand they had over 1000 beta testers (EAP program) worlwide for this release so I'm expecting it to be pretty well vetted before we see it a couple of days.

• Helpful
Reactions: Urgo
Just got the 2.36.31 update after getting 2.36.17 at the dealership last week for my first annual checkup and having been on 2.28.19 for quite a while before that. I have no idea if this is true or not but I was kind of thinking that maybe these last few updates w/ no notes was to sort of run the 8.0 radar firmware in data collection mode but still drive the car on 7.1

I received 2.36.31 today on my legacy P85. This update is not pegged to cars with AP.

Reactions: Lex
I finally received 2.36.31 and seem out of the penalty box (2.34.65 previously)

So far after an hour of driving, I am noticing some minor changes…. There's further improvement to UHFS + Dolby Surround. It seems like a lot of the treble hissing (especially on "s" sounds) is gone and I no longer need to knock the treble to -1 or -2dB. Other than that, UHFS + Surround is continuing to work well for me on pop music compared to surround off, which is much appreciated. At this point, there's a decent front-and-center sound stage with stereo effect separation.

One other big difference I noticed is that in 2.36.31, braking in TACC on settings 1 and 2 seems to be smoother. Before, if I used 2 or 1, I'd frequently experience sudden brake grab in stop and go traffic (you can first hear the brake pedal actuate, and then suddenly the brakes "bite" and jolt you before easing up again). Today I went through maybe 20 minutes of stop and go at setting 2 and didn't experience this effect. It's too soon to tell, but it seems slightly better.

2.36.31 is being super aggressively rolled out to the entire fleet. It contains new firmware security stuff that I believe is a point of no return. In other words, once you upgrade to that, there is no going back. Not sure why they decided to do this before 8.0 officially rolls out. The 8.0 betas do no contain this.

That's really interesting. I wonder if it's a content provider wanting this level of lockdown, or the MCU playing more of a role in Autopilot processing with the new radar role compared to the previous EyeQ3-heavy operation, or maybe this is to dissuade reverse engineering of the 8.0 firmware series..... hard to tell from the outside.

• Helpful
2.36.31 is being super aggressively rolled out to the entire fleet. It contains new firmware security stuff that I believe is a point of no return. In other words, once you upgrade to that, there is no going back. Not sure why they decided to do this before 8.0 officially rolls out. The 8.0 betas do no contain this.
Could it be that they're creating this as a "legacy" 7.1 version to fall back on?

• Helpful
The backup is kept, and the fallback system will work going forward, except for the transition to 2.36.x. Once you cross that line, the systems in the car cannot be downgraded.

I believe they have done this to make it more difficult for someone to load non-approved (signed) firmware to any devices. Prior to this, if you wanted to, you could alter the firmware to any system on the car and run that code.

The release version of 8.0 will also have to contain this signature system, even though the beta did not. If an update fails, there is still the previous version, and if all else fails, there is a recovery system that can be manually accessed. (by a SvC)

As ridiculous as it may sound, is it possible that this latest 7.1 release contains some code that will mandate an update to 8.0/8.1 when they come out? I think back to those who refused to update to 7.1 from 7.0. Perhaps it can allow Tesla to deactivate certain non-essential activities enough to motivate an upgrade.