Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0 - For Classic Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2013 P85 received 17.8.16 at the Service Center last week. Not sure if it was a requirement for the TPMS replacement/upgrade, which coincidentally they told me that the old-style TPMS sensors are no longer available which required upgrading to the new style sensors. So now i can view individual tire pressures on the display.

Question classic owners: I thought I had this all figured out but now I'm confused. I put my car away for the winter in December - on 2.44.130.

What's the latest release that our Classic will take (mine is 2014 non-ap vin 38688)? Been driving it for a couple of weeks now but no updates have been queued. I see 2.52.120 on EV-FW.COM and was assuming the 17.x.x releases were for AP2 cars.

The 17.X.Y releases appear to be for calendar year 2017 releases (hence the 17), X is a week number, and Y is something else. I think that @HankLloydRight was the first person to post this theory to TMC. There seems to be a correlation between whether X is odd or even and AP1/AP2 hardware. Not sure how pre-AP hardware falls into this scheme (FWIW my AP1 car got a 17.X.Y release for the first time last week at a service center visit). There were some messages on the general Firmware 8.0 thread on this subject, along with commentary from some of us software / release engineering types about the way the transition between numbering schemes happened (it worked but it was odd).

Bruce.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
It wasn't me.. but I don't remember who it was. I'm dubious of the even/odd scheme.

Sorry, my bad. Ah well. I'm not sure I buy the even/odd thing either...too many possibilities for weird things to happen if it's also indicating the week number ("no we can't push out this emergency fix to AP1 cars, it's the wrong week!").

Bruce.

Question classic owners: I thought I had this all figured out but now I'm confused. I put my car away for the winter in December - on 2.44.130.

What's the latest release that our Classic will take (mine is 2014 non-ap vin 38688)? Been driving it for a couple of weeks now but no updates have been queued. I see 2.52.120 on EV-FW.COM and was assuming the 17.x.x releases were for AP2 cars.
Updates come when they come. Sometimes you get them soon after the announcement and sometimes they come weeks later. I don't know if it's still true, but if you are near a Service Centre (as in the parking lot), the updates are triggered. At least every time I go there, there is an update ready to be installed within a few hours.

Thanks for all the replies. I completely understand the "it's there when it's there" concept and support. I historically get the updates within the first 7-10 days after the first hints of release on TMC.

Wondering if, because it was basically not used for most of December and all of January and February if that would cause me any issues. Basically I'm still on a November-ish timing release so, seems like I should be on a more recent version.

Going to schedule my annual checkup shortly so I'll ask at that time - and, perhaps if I put my patient pants on (what I tell my kids), I'll see an update in the mean time.

Go Tesla! Please keep the updates for our classics coming...

I got bumped up to 17.4.14 at the service center last month, but OTA updates have been few and far between for classic cars these days. Most all recent development work at this time seems focused on AP1/AP2 cars, hence why I'm not really surprised we classic owners aren't getting much love. Besides a few bugs (thankfully that haven't really effected me at all) the classic firmware seems more or less "done." We'll see what the linux kernel update brings whenever it ships though. I'm interested if they can transform the useless in car browser circa 2012 into a useless in car browser circa 2017. Really at this point my only gripe is the sluggish UI at times. <cough maps cough>

2012 classic with VIN in 2000s
Firmware updated by service center 4 days ago to: 17.8.16

Still have the bug where music is off, receive phone call on Bluetooth, hang up, and music comes on
My 2013 P85 received 17.8.16 at the Service Center last week. Not sure if it was a requirement for the TPMS replacement/upgrade, which coincidentally they told me that the old-style TPMS sensors are no longer available which required upgrading to the new style sensors. So now i can view individual tire pressures on the display.

So, just to be clear, the firmware upgrade + the new TPMS sensors now allows you to see individual tire pressures, right? Was there anything else done to allow that?

My 2013 MS60 was in for annual service in December. I had previously paid for the 4 year maintenance plan which included the infamous language about hardware upgrades. I don't think the TPMS sensors were replaced at my service, although one would think this would be the kind of hardware upgrade that should have been included. In fact, my wife's car, a 2014 MS85 also went in for a 2 year maintenance in December and did receive the new sensors free of charge (because we were receiving service warnings for the sensors every other day). At that time I asked about the ability to see the individual tire pressure readings and was told that it would not be possible without an additional upgrade and $$.

My 2013 MS60 is now 4 years + 2 weeks old, having passed the 4 year anniversary two weeks ago. I did purchase the ESA for the MS60, but I will be annoyed if they ask me to pay the deductible to have the new sensors put it since I just had the car in two months ago for a full annual maintenance.

I got bumped up to 17.4.14 at the service center last month, but OTA updates have been few and far between for classic cars these days. Most all recent development work at this time seems focused on AP1/AP2 cars, hence why I'm not really surprised we classic owners aren't getting much love. Besides a few bugs (thankfully that haven't really effected me at all) the classic firmware seems more or less "done." We'll see what the linux kernel update brings whenever it ships though. I'm interested if they can transform the useless in car browser circa 2012 into a useless in car browser circa 2017. Really at this point my only gripe is the sluggish UI at times. <cough maps cough>
There's nothing about classics that could be upgraded that doesn't apply to all cars-- the browser, navigation, phone, the "upgraded" media player. Those are far from done. When those apps are upgraded, we'll get that too. Otherwise, of course newer cars are getting more upgrades because they're directed at autopilot which we don't have, and needs more upgrading from what I hear.

So, just to be clear, the firmware upgrade + the new TPMS sensors now allows you to see individual tire pressures, right? Was there anything else done to allow that?

Firmware + TPMS sensors + TPMS ECU receiver (and programming to 'learn' the new sensors). That's pretty much it in the service invoice.
"Corrections: Retrofit Continental TPMS module and harness."

My 2013 MS60 was in for annual service in December. I had previously paid for the 4 year maintenance plan which included the infamous language about hardware upgrades. I don't think the TPMS sensors were replaced at my service, although one would think this would be the kind of hardware upgrade that should have been included. In fact, my wife's car, a 2014 MS85 also went in for a 2 year maintenance in December and did receive the new sensors free of charge (because we were receiving service warnings for the sensors every other day). At that time I asked about the ability to see the individual tire pressure readings and was told that it would not be possible without an additional upgrade and $$.

My 2013 MS60 is now 4 years + 2 weeks old, having passed the 4 year anniversary two weeks ago. I did purchase the ESA for the MS60, but I will be annoyed if they ask me to pay the deductible to have the new sensors put it since I just had the car in two months ago for a full annual maintenance.

I only took my car in because I was getting TPMS sensor failures almost daily. I thought they would simply replace the faulty sensor(s). After dropping it off, I later received a call that the original TPMS sensors are no longer available and they would go ahead and upgrade me to the new style sensors.

Check your service receipt for your wife's car. The new sensors are 'Continental'. Also see if it included the ECU receiver.
If it has both, then maybe all she needs it the firmware to see the individual tire pressures on the console.

Nice. I paid $500 for that TPMS upgrade. I should have just waited for my sensors to fail and would have received the upgrade under warranty. Live and learn.
My TPMS sensors failed a few months ago and they replaced all 4x TPMS sensors and the receiver module under my extended warranty ($200 deductible), but I still don't get the tire PSI readings on the instrument cluster.

Thanks for all the replies. I completely understand the "it's there when it's there" concept and support. I historically get the updates within the first 7-10 days after the first hints of release on TMC.

Wondering if, because it was basically not used for most of December and all of January and February if that would cause me any issues. Basically I'm still on a November-ish timing release so, seems like I should be on a more recent version.

Going to schedule my annual checkup shortly so I'll ask at that time - and, perhaps if I put my patient pants on (what I tell my kids), I'll see an update in the mean time.

Go Tesla! Please keep the updates for our classics coming...
I had annual checkup #3 on my pre-AP P85 (P332nn) yesterday and was updated from 2.52.22 to 17.8.16...

Autopilot functionality remains its usual zero... o_O

• Funny
Reactions: Cyclone
I had annual checkup #3 on my pre-AP P85 (P332nn) yesterday and was updated from 2.52.22 to 17.8.16...

Autopilot functionality remains its usual zero... o_O

I love this sight!
IMG_5441.JPG

Reactions: MP3Mike