Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's my home wifi for 17.7.2; no idea if it also pulled some of it in via other wifi connections (smartphone tether, service centers, etc.):
Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 8.56.12 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Presumably auto-park isn't connected to Mobileye at all, so must have been an in-house solution from the start? I guess it required re-coding for the enhanced ultrasonics, though, and *maybe* now also takes some info from the cameras into account (it could be much smarter than just using ultrasonics with some vision too). I'd have thought (though I have no experience whatsoever!) that auto-parking is one area that AP2 could surpass AP1 cars pretty easily given the extra cameras and sensors.

When TACC was first introduced, it did not adjust speed for curves. I actually prefer this. If I'm driving, and simply using TACC for speed control, let me drive. I'll brake or lower the TACC speed if that's what I want to do.
I do understand the need to lower the set speed for curves if auto-steer is engaged.
I stopped the experiment and now I just brake to disengage when entering that on-ramp. However, a curve that never had a speed adjust by TACC started up after I avoided it on the sharper curve. Its like the system feels the need to do something on these curves and gets antsy if you take too many without its "help". I'm still pretty amazed at the level of number crunching going on in the background with these cars.

17.7.2 seems to have a problem with wide (40 foot) neighborhood feeder roads. It seems to be fighting with its "I want to be in the center and I really like the right line".

It would show both clearly on the screen but move way off to the right then realize it was not in the middle and slowly step back to almost the middle at which point it would move back to the right.

On a normal ~12 foot wide lane it seems to do a good job as long as there are always clear lines or even better a car to play follow the leader.

Basically, seems like it will be good handling mostly stop and go traffic on the state hwy's here but would not trust with an empty road.

Reactions: Ahisaac
Got the update this afternoon as well.

I found auto steer on local streets to work well, with the exception of when a road lost its road markings. There was also a situation where it was a 2 lane road, and the markings between the two lane disappeared for a little while...the car violently veered into what it thought the new center should be. Luckily there was no car next to me, not sure what would have happened if there was.

This is the section of the road where it veered into the other lane essentially. Is this something that should be reported to Tesla and at what email?

But again on well marked roads, it worked as well as expected and the road was pretty curved. Much better than my wife's E300 handles the same road using auto steering. This is the stretch of road that I did a couple of passes back and forth on.

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
Got to do a bit of driving w 17.7.2 on my way home. Highway driving was the same, and I've been largely happy w that anyhow. Local driving was surprisingly good. The roads were very crowded, but it managed fine. A couple of times it veered off toward the curb when there was no line between the parking lane and right lane. I have video of it so I might try to put something on YouTube.

We live in the city so we parallel park all the time. On the way home I demoed auto park for my 12 year old son and that was cool as far as he's concerned! It did work just like the ap1 car I demoed.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Ok, hypothetical - be warned I am an early adopter and do not have AP.
My question is...
A short time from now when the AP algorithms are all figured out and quite a few AP capable cars are on the road....

Four AP cars come to a 4 way stop at the same time.
Which goes first?

(getting popcorn)
The one on the right, of course.