Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the mistake many are making is to assume AP2 software is some kind of v1.0 of FSD. This is not the case, AP2 is a separate code base that had to be rushed into production due to the relationship between Mobileye and Telsa soured after the AP1 death where the Mobileye solution did not see a giant big rig passing directly in front of it.

AP2 is not v1.0 of FSD, they are completely different solutions. I am sure there is some shared code, but they are different. An example of this is the video that Tesla put out showing a short autonomous trip and showed all the cameras working to identify objects including signs, people and lights. AP1 nor AP2 do those things as a matter of fact, the only way AP1/2 sees people today is with the sonar.

Dont assume that just because AP2 has not surpassed AP1 that there is no development and testing on FSD.

And you state the above based on what? What's your sources for such deep and granular knowledge?

Unless you post your sources, I'd say you're a wizard making up alternative facts to suite your point while passing them as real facts: "this is not the case", "separate code base", "rushed into production due to the relationship between Mobileye and Tesla", "they are completely different solutions", "I'm sure there is some shared code, but they are different" - all I just listed, along with the rest of your post, are not FACTS.

"I think the mistake many are making is to assume"

I discovered this a month ago, when I was switching my kid's carseat over from the latch system to the seatbelt, as per manufacturer recommendation.

When I called Tesla, they basically said the disabling of easy entry was a safety feature.
Thanks!

It's understandable why it doesn't work, since car seats are at times buckled in. I just couldn't recall if that was a change with the new update (since it added to the toggle for easy entry). My kids are pretty inconsistent with how they unlatch the belt.

On a "I don't always complain about my X" note: It was super-easy for our family of 5 to travel from Chicago to Colorado in our 6-seat X. It was our first Tesla road trip. I used easy entry more in the 2000 mile roundtrip last week than I had in the prior 4 months of ownership total. So easy for kids to get in and out of the car, and not once did I hear a complaint about room in the back. On top of that, I didn't find charging to be that big of a deal, since SC's were spaced great. And I got to eat at The Club Car near Iowa City and the Nebraska Barn and Grill near Gothenburg. Way better than fast food or chains! Much more relaxing road trip experience.

Tell you what, take out all of Musk's bullshit promises and deceptions regarding HW2, and I'd probably have nothing really bothering me! ;)

Great car! :)

Unless you post your sources, I'd say you're a wizard making up alternative facts to suite your point while passing them as real facts: "this is not the case", "separate code base", "rushed into production due to the relationship between Mobileye and Tesla", "they are completely different solutions", "I'm sure there is some shared code, but they are different" - all I just listed, along with the rest of your post, are not FACTS.

"I think the mistake many are making is to assume"

The facts are directly in front of your face if you are willing to look. Its a well known fact and Elon commented on the fact that they wanted to develop their solution along side Mobileyes and Mobileye refused, which forced them to take drastic action.

The video they released when announcing the new hardware clearly shows capabilities and functionality that are not present in AP2 or AP1. One is being developed in a hurry to fill the immediate gap left by Mobileye and the other is being developed on a longer time scale with full Autonomy as its goal. At some point they will merge, but not until AP1 level of functionality is achieved. It is not an ideal way to develop technology and in fact its a crappy and inefficient method, but they did not have a choice. They must be separated to keep issues from one impacting the other. Some code obviously would be shared, but only when fully validated.

I can assure you that no one posting here has inside info, but there is a lot of evidence that's directly in front of people of they are willing to sift through it. Certainly assumptions must be made, but they are not based on thin air but facts available for everyone to find. My only point with the original post was to point out that I thought people might be mistaking AP2 an v1.0 of FSD. I could be wrong, but I dont think they are even close. 6 months ago they posted a video that was far more advanced then AP1 or AP2, yet none of that made it into AP2. How do you explain that? I guess it could all be one giant monolithic code base with the same devs splitting time betwen AP1, AP2 and FSD, but I highly doubt it.

Reactions: sdorn and EinSV
I discovered this a month ago, when I was switching my kid's carseat over from the latch system to the seatbelt, as per manufacturer recommendation.

When I called Tesla, they basically said the disabling of easy entry was a safety feature.

I also use seat belt instead of LATCH because my car seat manufacturer recommended (for both front and rear facing since it can do both). Seat belts are less "tight" and trickier to really lock in with less than 1" movement in any direction. Do you find that the car seat is as snug as you'd like with the seat belts instead of LATCH?

I've also found that the leather seat is being broken in and requires adjustment as the padding compresses to deal with the car seat. I anticipate it will eventually permanently deform the seat but safety > anything else...

Thanks!

It's understandable why it doesn't work, since car seats are at times buckled in. I just couldn't recall if that was a change with the new update (since it added to the toggle for easy entry). My kids are pretty inconsistent with how they unlatch the belt.

On a "I don't always complain about my X" note: It was super-easy for our family of 5 to travel from Chicago to Colorado in our 6-seat X. It was our first Tesla road trip. I used easy entry more in the 2000 mile roundtrip last week than I had in the prior 4 months of ownership total. So easy for kids to get in and out of the car, and not once did I hear a complaint about room in the back. On top of that, I didn't find charging to be that big of a deal, since SC's were spaced great. And I got to eat at The Club Car near Iowa City and the Nebraska Barn and Grill near Gothenburg. Way better than fast food or chains! Much more relaxing road trip experience.

Tell you what, take out all of Musk's bullshit promises and deceptions regarding HW2, and I'd probably have nothing really bothering me! ;)

Great car! :)

Awesome.

We're a family of 4, and I am super excited to do our first extended road trip from to Atl. In preparation, I'm having our ride xpel wrapped in the front, and the front windows tinted.

We're looking forward to the SC stops, it'll keep the kids from going too stir crazy.

I also use seat belt instead of LATCH because my car seat manufacturer recommended (for both front and rear facing since it can do both). Seat belts are less "tight" and trickier to really lock in with less than 1" movement in any direction. Do you find that the car seat is as snug as you'd like with the seat belts instead of LATCH?

I've also found that the leather seat is being broken in and requires adjustment as the padding compresses to deal with the car seat. I anticipate it will eventually permanently deform the seat but safety > anything else...

I do remember thinking the carseat wasn't as snug as I would have liked, but after a couple of times unbuckling the belt and redoing the setup, and a lot of tugging of the seatbelt, I got it to be a pretty tight fit.

I don't know about the leather seats, but thus far it seems our ultra white vegans have held up well. But keep in mind we've only had our ride for about 3 months.

Five days and still no update for me even though my car is feet away from the Wi-Fi extender. My car still never automatically connects to my home Wi-Fi. If I manually connect it, it doesn't stay connected for more than a few seconds. It does connect (and stay connected) to a phone's Wi-Fi hotspot so I've resorted to this method once again. :(

I had to put a WiFi range extender near my garage to get my car to stay connected. Signal should have been strong enough without, so maybe there was something about my WiFi router that Tesla didn't like. Worth a try perhaps?

I had to put a WiFi range extender near my garage to get my car to stay connected. Signal should have been strong enough without, so maybe there was something about my WiFi router that Tesla didn't like. Worth a try perhaps?
My main router is in the house, less than 8 feet away from my Model S. I added a range extender in the garage less than 4 feet from my Model S and it still has issues. I've tried moving the wifi extender to every outlet in the garage and my Tesla won't stay connected to it even though it shows full signal. Every other device that I test in the garage works perfectly with the extender and router, getting over 50 Mbps on fast.com speed tests. My Model S will connect to either my router or the range extender and indicate full signal...and then always switches to LTE with only 1 bar within a few seconds. If I enable a cell phone wifi hotspot in the house the Model S will connect to it without problems and remain connected even though the cell phone is several rooms and over 40 feet away.

I've tried changing everything on the router that I can, including the password, wireless N, wireless G, combined, etc. and the Model S just won't stay connected to either the router or the extender.

The facts are directly in front of your face if you are willing to look. Its a well known fact and Elon commented on the fact that they wanted to develop their solution along side Mobileyes and Mobileye refused, which forced them to take drastic action.

The video they released when announcing the new hardware clearly shows capabilities and functionality that are not present in AP2 or AP1. One is being developed in a hurry to fill the immediate gap left by Mobileye and the other is being developed on a longer time scale with full Autonomy as its goal. At some point they will merge, but not until AP1 level of functionality is achieved. It is not an ideal way to develop technology and in fact its a crappy and inefficient method, but they did not have a choice. They must be separated to keep issues from one impacting the other. Some code obviously would be shared, but only when fully validated.

I can assure you that no one posting here has inside info, but there is a lot of evidence that's directly in front of people of they are willing to sift through it. Certainly assumptions must be made, but they are not based on thin air but facts available for everyone to find. My only point with the original post was to point out that I thought people might be mistaking AP2 an v1.0 of FSD. I could be wrong, but I dont think they are even close. 6 months ago they posted a video that was far more advanced then AP1 or AP2, yet none of that made it into AP2. How do you explain that? I guess it could all be one giant monolithic code base with the same devs splitting time betwen AP1, AP2 and FSD, but I highly doubt it.

Although the above view is somewhat speculative, I think it is the best 'educated guess'. Mobileye processed raw video into objects-of-interest, with Tesla supplying the driving-logic. The AP2 suite is replacing the ME functionality. So, logically the AP2 system remains: camera-->object-processing-->driving strategy. While FSD uses AI from start to finish, ie camera--ai-->driving, with a bunch of internal AI-layers. The demo showed this model.

My main router is in the house, less than 8 feet away from my Model S. I added a range extender in the garage less than 4 feet from my Model S and it still has issues. I've tried moving the wifi extender to every outlet in the garage and my Tesla won't stay connected to it even though it shows full signal. Every other device that I test in the garage works perfectly with the extender and router, getting over 50 Mbps on fast.com speed tests. My Model S will connect to either my router or the range extender and indicate full signal...and then always switches to LTE with only 1 bar within a few seconds. If I enable a cell phone wifi hotspot in the house the Model S will connect to it without problems and remain connected even though the cell phone is several rooms and over 40 feet away.

I've tried changing everything on the router that I can, including the password, wireless N, wireless G, combined, etc. and the Model S just won't stay connected to either the router or the extender.

There are a few theories to why the OS can't hold on to the strong signal. I had the same problem in my house. I had an Asus router (RT-AC68U) and it wouldn't work. When I added an old Apple AirPort Extreme at the same location as my Asus router it worked. I also changed the subnet from 10.0.0.1/24 to 192.168.0.1/24 which some people claimed helped. Remember that our cars only connect over 2.4GHz. What I ended up doing was replacing my networking gear with UniFi products and have been very happy since.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I had the message saying it needed calibration(though I don't remember it saying it needed the "manual" calibration referenced earlier). I did a ~3 mile each way drive that night, and my wife drove a bit during the next day and that night it let me do autosteering at 72 with no problem.

That said, from past experience, these things can vary wildly. I was one of the first 1000 people that got the autosteering/TACC update on December 31 and calibration took over 2 weeks and well over 1k miles(as I remember, it took getting the next update before it could complete). Other people reported calibration finishing after anywhere between 15 and 800 miles. Hang in there.
Thanks-I did a road trip this weekend and worked fine up to 80mph-a real game changer...

Your wifi signal may be interfered by nearby wifi. Are U living in a crowded neighborhood?

If yes, you should change your router's wifi channel. try google something like "Resolve Wifi interference". There are tons of articles about wifi interference and solution.

Reactions: DiamondHands