Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lip - I already knew of that and it's not an issue for me.
Side - I altered that but still no real satisfaction....but now our overall wifi connection is kablooey so I can't properly test w/smartphone. Better results with handholding the fob and walking the car out.

Door - I tried it w/garage door closed.....but was able to avert disaster by aborting before any collision occurred. If I can't get it to open the door prior to proceeding, Summon will be unuseful.

This post concerns SUMMON. As thread originator, HankLR please alert me if you know of a more appropriate venue and I'll have it shifted.

• I cannot properly program it (17.latest.latest). I have tried coaxing the XP100D into and out of the garage, moving in either a forward or reverse direction.
  • In attempting to enter the garage, the vehicle stops every time some 8 feet in front of the rear wall, leaving most of the nose outside the door.
  • In attempting to exit the garage, the vehicle stops approximately half-way out the door.
'Suboptimal' is the kindest word I'm coming up with....
I only "exit summons" from my medium tight garage, but do it often, and by FOB, mostly as fun to watch the dog's reaction and voice command him to jump in. It manages to go over a lip and fully outside, like my AP1 MX did.

BUT "enter summons" is another matter, never tried in 12months being an owner. Am I chicken, yes, but after reading this thread, I'm on it (soon).

|v8.1(17.11.10)| AP2 |

Door - I tried it w/garage door closed.....but was able to avert disaster by aborting before any collision occurred. If I can't get it to open the door prior to proceeding, Summon will be unuseful.

I've seen videos on Youtube for summon. In those videos the car first starts to backup, even when close to the garage door, then stops and opens the garage door, and proceeds out. I've not been brave enough to try this myself.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Price-S and croman
I've seen videos on Youtube for summon. In those videos the car first starts to backup, even when close to the garage door, then stops and opens the garage door, and proceeds out. I've not been brave enough to try this myself.

I think it works great when you have 12" or more between the garage door and the car when you initiate summon. Where I think it sometimes fails is when the car is too close to the garage door to start out. I'm not sure of the technical reason but it seems that when objects are closer to the ultrasonic sensors than 12" when they "power up" they are often not detected.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
I think it works great when you have 12" or more between the garage door and the car when you initiate summon. Where I think it sometimes fails is when the car is too close to the garage door to start out. I'm not sure of the technical reason but it seems that when objects are closer to the ultrasonic sensors than 12" when they "power up" they are often not detected.

I suspect the return is lost in the main bang.

I don't know that much about the ultrasonics in use here, but I do know a fair amount about ultrasonic inspection, and I suspect some of it is applicable.

With pulse echo ultrasonic inspection using a typical single transducer, the scope can't show returns right near the surface of the part. That's because it takes time for the transducer to stop moving so it can start listening. The return simply gets lost in the clutter.

• Informative
Reactions: NOLA_Mike
What makes you think any of the others worked in closer?

All the cars I've had with the sensors are in the continuous tone before Tesla goes to "Stop".

Totally agreed. The Tesla sensors (at least in AP1) in my experience have been simply the best ultrasonics I've ever used. It is quite impervious to interference from other cars nearby running ultrasonics (my Audi ones were awful about that. I have a tandem parking garage spot, and if I fire up both the Tesla and the 2017 Audi, the Audi just plays the 2-tone interference sound while the Tesla parking sensors still work perfectly)

But all ultrasonics have a range limit. With Tesla it looks like it's on the order of 2-3 inches, and that's probably because, as others have said, the reflection arrives too quickly compared to the transmission.

Reactions: bhzmark
First, it's a great gag if you can pull it off, but BEWARE! So, I opened the door via my phone and started backing the car out. About half way out, my brother said "and what happens if I walk behind it?" and proceeded to find out. Well, the car didn't see him and drove right over him.

No, it didn't. It stopped, BUT THEN CLOSED THE GARAGE DOOR!!!! Luckily my other brother, in an act of superhuman heroics, grabbed the door and kept it open just inches before it came down on my car! The light sensor must have been shooting under the car. In any case, don't do that.

First, it's a great gag if you can pull it off, but BEWARE! So, I opened the door via my phone and started backing the car out. About half way out, my brother said "and what happens if I walk behind it?" and proceeded to find out. Well, the car didn't see him and drove right over him.

No, it didn't. It stopped, BUT THEN CLOSED THE GARAGE DOOR!!!! Luckily my other brother, in an act of superhuman heroics, grabbed the door and kept it open just inches before it came down on my car! The light sensor must have been shooting under the car. In any case, don't do that.

Yeah - I disabled all the auto garage stuff - too much traffic with kids and wife always doing something with garage while I was trying to pull in .. it is a great idea but can't outsmart wife and kids :)

Yeah - I disabled all the auto garage stuff - too much traffic with kids and wife always doing something with garage while I was trying to pull in .. it is a great idea but can't outsmart wife and kids :)
I wish they decoupled the app control of the garage door from the car control when using summon.
  • I'd like to be able to use the app to open both my work and home garages, but I can only select one garage to work with summon
  • At work, if I stop the car half way out it automatically closes the garage door when it stops in order to test my cardiac health, reflexes, and strength. I'd like a way to disable at least the the auto garage door close control when summoning my car but leave the app control in place.
In any case, you should at least once raise your arm and announce "I am summoning my car now!" to someone who won't stop being your friend or spouse afterward. It's kind of cool. There's little I have done recently that raised my credibility with my kids as much as summoning the car from the garage.

• Love
Reactions: croman
I just emailed Tesla Tech Support about a few concerns that I have with autosteer. It nags too frequently IMO, I counted around 55 seconds each time. I don't remember AP1 cars nagging that often, is that going to get better? Also, I've found that I have to put a lot of pressure, around 3 or 4 pounds of pressure, pushing down on the steering wheel in order to get my car to register that I'm "holding the wheel."
Sometimes, the car will nag me when it's going through turn, which can be dangerous. I don't feel comfortable pushing down on the wheel while autosteer is turning. They need to somehow make AS more sensitive to being held.

Here's an interesting ride in Nissan's Leaf autonomous test car in London England area: 'You weren’t scared?': Nissan takes us for a ride in the Leaf driverless car
Some scary bits.
"five radars, four lasers and 12 cameras"

*Shrug* You can shove on as many sensors as you want and wave your hands around and say "sensor fusion", frankly a lot of that is a marketing ploy. There are still extremely difficult engineering problems to solve that are not alleviated by adding more sensors.

*Shrug* You can shove on as many sensors as you want and wave your hands around and say "sensor fusion", frankly a lot of that is a marketing ploy. There are still extremely difficult engineering problems to solve that are not alleviated by adding more sensors.
It is interesting in how much it can do, and also that it shows flaws. I had seen a previous trial on Fully Charged:
that looked much more staged.
I mentioned the sensor suite just for facts, and no suggestion it is better or worse than other choices.
I think this shows that FSD is definitely coming faster than is thought by most.

Reactions: chillaban
I mentioned the sensor suite just for facts, and no suggestion it is better or worse than other choices.
I think this shows that FSD is definitely coming faster than is thought by most.

FTR I wasn't directing any negativity at you or your intended statement. More towards what the general sentiment is that adding new sensors or a new subsystem is somehow a magical solution to AP1/2's challenges.

Reactions: 3Victoria

Yep. Tesla seems to have solved that by turning everything except one front-facing camera off.

I just emailed Tesla Tech Support about a few concerns that I have with autosteer. It nags too frequently IMO, I counted around 55 seconds each time. I don't remember AP1 cars nagging that often, is that going to get better? Also, I've found that I have to put a lot of pressure, around 3 or 4 pounds of pressure, pushing down on the steering wheel in order to get my car to register that I'm "holding the wheel."
Sometimes, the car will nag me when it's going through turn, which can be dangerous. I don't feel comfortable pushing down on the wheel while autosteer is turning. They need to somehow make AS more sensitive to being held.

Pushing down? You should only have to turn the wheel slightly to clear the nag(just enough to feel the resistance).