Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Autopilot HW2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you mean by resistance? Do you mean trying to turn the steering wheel while in autosteer, that doesn't seen very safe.

Yes, rest your hand with slight but constant pressure on the wheel, mildly resisting AP's movements. It takes a good amount of resistance to override Autopilot's steering commands, and Autopilot is constantly making micro adjustments.

Reactions: johnzhang22
Pushing down? You should only have to turn the wheel slightly to clear the nag(just enough to feel the resistance).
I'm actually not pushing down, I'm pushing in on the steering wheel. I was taught during my first test drive with a AP1 car last year by a Tesla rep to push in on the wheel with pressure. I wish there was a button that I can just push to make it stop nagging.

Last edited:
For the AS I just lightly rest my left hand on the wheel. That seems to be enough, I've never gotten a nag. Frankly, given the current state of TACC/AS I would feel very nervous keeping my hand off the wheel any more than a second or two.

If resting your hand on the wheel is not enough to avoid the nag you may want to check in with Tesla.

Reactions: sdorn and Helmuth
I'm actually not pushing down, I'm pushing in on the steering wheel. I was taught during my first test drive with a AP1 car last year by a Tesla rep to push in on the wheel with pressure. I wish there was a button that I can just push to make it stop nagging.

That's an odd recommendation. As others have noted, it determines whether your hand is on the wheel by torque on the steering wheel. The most consistent way to clear the nag is to turn the wheel slightly.

It should feel like it gives for maybe a couple centimeters and then you hit resistence from the AS and the nag clears. Try it out a couple times with the nag up and you should get a good feel for how to clear it quickly and easily. Id say much easier than your suggested button.

I give the wheel a slight tug (left or right) every minute or so. It is too bad that resting your hand on the wheel doesn't work, you have to actually try to turn it a little bit. Don't turn too hard though, as you'll dis-engage auto-steer (and actually turn the car). It would be good if they have another touch sensor somehow.

Reactions: johnzhang22
I give the wheel a slight tug (left or right) every minute or so. It is too bad that resting your hand on the wheel doesn't work, you have to actually try to turn it a little bit. Don't turn too hard though, as you'll dis-engage auto-steer (and actually turn the car). It would be good if they have another touch sensor somehow.

I can put my hand on the wheel lightly and it works as long as the road isn't too straight. Current hw2 as turns wheel a lot even on straight aways. Rare nag if you rest with some drag on steering wheel stitching.

Pushing down? You should only have to turn the wheel slightly to clear the nag(just enough to feel the resistance).

Yea, no. I'm with @johnzhang22, I have to put some serious pressure on the wheel to make it feel I'm there. It's quite annoying. I timed it with my phone stopwatch and every 60 seconds at 70 mph following a "lead car" (car highlighted on your dash) you have to acknowledge you're there by pushing the wheel almost to the point where AP disengages. It doesn't care if you're busy or in a bad position to acknowledge... It nags you around turns. It nags you seconds after you've touched the turn signal. It nags you seconds after you've changed the following distance using the stalk. It nags you seconds after you've used automatic lane change. It nags you more than your parents did in middle school.

We can only hope it gets better because if I have to drive thousands of miles with this constant nagging I might be tempted to dump my Tessie in a river and claim insanity for her demise :D

Yea, no. I'm with @johnzhang22, I have to put some serious pressure on the wheel to make it feel I'm there. It's quite annoying. I timed it with my phone stopwatch and every 60 seconds at 70 mph following a "lead car" (car highlighted on your dash) you have to acknowledge you're there by pushing the wheel almost to the point where AP disengages. It doesn't care if you're busy or in a bad position to acknowledge... It nags you around turns. It nags you seconds after you've touched the turn signal. It nags you seconds after you've changed the following distance using the stalk. It nags you seconds after you've used automatic lane change. It nags you more than your parents did in middle school.

We can only hope it gets better because if I have to drive thousands of miles with this constant nagging I might be tempted to dump my Tessie in a river and claim insanity for her demise :D

We just came home from a 6 day, 1600 mi road trip and I mused AP at least 70% of the time!
I had the "hold steering wheel" message ONCE!
I have my left hand rest on the steering wheel all the time and follow the movement of it.
I had to take ver probably 15-20 times because of cars cutting into my lane and maybe a couple of times in turns...
I had one incident where the car slowed down 2 mph.
I never used AP on local roads or freeway stretches with sharp turns or poor or missing lane markings.
I always used the middle or left lane.

We just came home from a 6 day, 1600 mi road trip and I mused AP at least 70% of the time!
I had the "hold steering wheel" message ONCE!
I have my left hand rest on the steering wheel all the time and follow the movement of it.
I had to take ver probably 15-20 times because of cars cutting into my lane and maybe a couple of times in turns...
I had one incident where the car slowed down 2 mph.
I never used AP on local roads or freeway stretches with sharp turns or poor or missing lane markings.
I always used the middle or left lane.

Obviously AP2 users have different experiences! But did you really just say you always use the middle or left lane?? :eek: You're one of those people I always curse at on the highway :mad: You should read up on driving etiquette, you're not supposed to hog the left or passing lanes! The right lane sounds like the appropriate lane for you :cool:

Please, for everyone who has to deal with you on the road, please read this article:
Lane Etiquette: Read before you drive!

The only time I've ever gotten a nag was when I intentionally left my hand off the wheel in order to see how long it would take for the nag to come. I've never seen a nag when I have had my hand on the wheel at all.

I sure wish it was that easy for all of us! Can you video yourself timing how long you can leave your hand off the wheel? I'm curious why some of us are limited to 60 seconds while others can leave their hands off indefinitely.

A software update (version 17.14.24) was just pushed to my X. Will get screen shots of the release notes momentarily.
Obviously AP2 users have different experiences! But did you really just say you always use the middle or left lane?? :eek: You're one of those people I always curse at on the highway :mad: You should read up on driving etiquette, you're not supposed to hog the left or passing lanes! The right lane sounds like the appropriate lane for you :cool:

Please, for everyone who has to deal with you on the road, please read this article:
You assume a lot - some areas of the country it's expected etiquette for faster cars to be in the left lane. If the right lane is clogged with trucks and slower moving vehicles, I find I typically stay in the left UNLESS someone driving faster than I am comes up from behind. Then I move over to the right to let them pass.

And (shudder) there are some freeways in California (99 comes to mind) where because of right lane road wear and tear, trucks are instructed to drive in the left lane.

(And I drove approx 70 miles today on AP2 8.1 and received zero nags. I just rest at least one hand on the wheel.)

Reactions: adwang and OBX John

Yes! I said that!
And YES, I know the etiquette! And NO, you wouldn't need to slow down if you were faster behind me!
I use the left lane if I have to pass another car, and I used the middle lane if I have to pass someone on the right lane!
I have AP set to 80mph if the speed limit is 70mph!
But barely got to that speed because of cars in front of me!
I'm one of those how hate slow drivers on the left side...

...you have to acknowledge you're there... It doesn't care if you're busy or in a bad position to acknowledge...

I really think you're using AP wrongly and dangerously. If you're operating a vehicle you should not be busy doing anything else. By being "in a bad position" to take over driving immediately, you are putting your own and others' lives at risk.

AP is not there to enable texting, web browsing, or toe nail clipping.

BUT THEN CLOSED THE GARAGE DOOR!!!! Luckily my other brother, in an act of superhuman heroics, grabbed the door and kept it open just inches before it came down on my car! The light sensor must have been shooting under the car. In any case, don't do that.

Some of us don't have a spare brother. Summon on hw2 is an immature and, in my opinion, dangerous technology that should not have been released, irrespective of whether it's labeled as Beta.