Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1 - Classics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine were replaced too. I believe you get them replaced if you did the prepaid maintenance. I only had to pay for the sensors on the winter wheels.

Is this a new policy? I have the prepaid plan and mine is in for service right now. Didn’t hear anything about new TPMS. In fact, 2 years ago I had to pay out of pocket for replacement Baolong sensors because it wasn’t covered by my prepaid service plan.

Yeah, mine went into annual service a couple of months ago. No mention of TPMS upgrade or anything. I have third party tires though. Don't know if that matters.
(I have read here before that service will not touch the tires if they are not one of those they sell. But in my case, they did check for rotation, clean, condition, pressure check etc. for my tires at annual service anyway.)

Is this a new policy? I have the prepaid plan and mine is in for service right now. Didn’t hear anything about new TPMS. In fact, 2 years ago I had to pay out of pocket for replacement Baolong sensors because it wasn’t covered by my prepaid service plan.
No idea. Mine was done on the previous annual service, not the one I had done a few weeks ago. The only thing that wasn't covered was the extra sensors for the second set of wheels I have. When I got my prepaid service, I opted for the Ranger service as well. That shouldn't make any difference, but who knows.

No idea. Mine was done on the previous annual service, not the one I had done a few weeks ago. The only thing that wasn't covered was the extra sensors for the second set of wheels I have. When I got my prepaid service, I opted for the Ranger service as well. That shouldn't make any difference, but who knows.

What does it show on the invoice?

My whole TPMS system was replaced three years ago, due to failure. But I don't have tire pressure readout. I assume they were replacing old TPMS systems with the same version, back them. The TPMS ECU is part #1004624-00-F, and the sensors are part #1010938-00-A, if that means anything to anybody.

What does it show on the invoice?

My whole TPMS system was replaced three years ago, due to failure. But I don't have tire pressure readout. I assume they were replacing old TPMS systems with the same version, back them. The TPMS ECU is part #1004624-00-F, and the sensors are part #1010938-00-A, if that means anything to anybody.

Note there was no "Customer states:", which means they did it as part of their normal service rather than by request. There is nothing on the invoice that indicates a TPMS issue. Invoice shows:

Concern: Retrofit Continental TPMS For Improved Reception

Corrections: Retrofit Continental TPMS Module And Harness For Improved Reception Performed Continental TPMS retrofit on vehicle.

Parts Replaced or Added

Part Quantity

TPMS, SENSOR, 433 MHz SILVER VALVE 4 STEM (1034602-00-B)

TPMS CONTI ECU RECEIVER 433 MHz 1 (1034601-00-B)

ASY,HRN,ADAPT,CONTI TPMS (1056262-00 1 -B)

Pay Type: Extended Service Agreement 0.00

Sort of - you can choose PSI in the Units settings, but there's no status app so it doesn't actually do anything. I guess it was just simpler to give everyone the setting.

Actually I have an early 2013 S85, and I have the tire pressure reporting. So this update actually does effect some of us.

Near the end of my 4 year warranty, one of the sensors went out. They were the earlier 'Type 1' sensors, and I didn't get the pressure status.

Since it was covered under warranty, when they did the replacement, they replaced all 4 wheels with the Type 2 sensors, and upgraded my computer to take the pressure reports. This was all done gratis, under warranty. And that is one of the reasons that my next car will also be a Tesla.

I'm recently done with 4 years of the service plan and never got upgraded TPMS. I have my winter tires on now, with generic TPMS sensors, and while the update gave me Bar/PSI in settings, I do not get any new scroll wheel setting in the dash to see the tire pressure.

I'm recently done with 4 years of the service plan and never got upgraded TPMS. I have my winter tires on now, with generic TPMS sensors, and while the update gave me Bar/PSI in settings, I do not get any new scroll wheel setting in the dash to see the tire pressure.
You only get the in-dash display if you have the newer sensors. (and the car's firmware updated to detect the newer sensors also)

The old sensors aren't very useful since the warning only comes up when the pressure is dangerously low. Last summer I noticed a click-click sound timed with tire rotation at low speed so I checked the tires for nails and found none so I figured it was a stone caught in the tread. The next day (on an interstate with very narrow shoulders), the low pressure warning came on at the same time as I heard and felt the tire going completely flat. There was a nail hole but the nail was gone by that point. The pressure would have dropped a bit overnight so I might have caught it before heading onto the highway if I had actual pressure measurements. And because it went flat at high speed, the tire was ruined and I had to replace it.

I just had my 80,000 km maintenance and I have the extended service agreement. I didn't mention the TPMS and they didn't do anything to them, so I still have the old ones. Maybe I'll ask them about it next time.

One subtle change is the Easy Entry mode now triggers when you unclick your seatbelt vs before when it triggered upon putting the vehicle in park. If I go to a store, and the passenger runs in while I stay in the car, the seat stays in it's driving position as long as I leave my seatbelt on.

For those of us with early cars the order of movement for easy entry is still frustrating though. The seat still moves first, then the steering wheel. (Vs newer cars where everything moves at once).

I'd prefer the steering wheel move up first, then in, then have all the seat movement happen.

Reactions: Cyclone
The old sensors aren't very useful since the warning only comes up when the pressure is dangerously low.

That's not my experience. Before I started to use winter tires the light would come on if one tire went down a few psi just because of colder air. I also had a slow leak in a tire and I kept stopping at gas stations to fill it up when the light came on until the new rims I ordered arrived and I replaced the tires. In my experience, it came on at the appropriate time and with more than sufficient air pressure left in the tire for safe driving.

I also have psi readings in my other vehicles but I hardly ever scroll to read them so really it's the warning light that alerts me to a problem and I'm sure that's the same for the vast majority of Tesla owners -- psi readings or not -- and I have not read about reports of the low tire warning coming on when the tire is dangerously low. Still, I would like to have the readings and I will change the sensors to the new ones when I replace the tires next.

That's not my experience. Before I started to use winter tires the light would come on if one tire went down a few psi just because of colder air. I also had a slow leak in a tire and I kept stopping at gas stations to fill it up when the light came on until the new rims I ordered arrived and I replaced the tires. In my experience, it came on at the appropriate time and with more than sufficient air pressure left in the tire for safe driving.

I also have psi readings in my other vehicles but I hardly ever scroll to read them so really it's the warning light that alerts me to a problem and I'm sure that's the same for the vast majority of Tesla owners -- psi readings or not -- and I have not read about reports of the low tire warning coming on when the tire is dangerously low. Still, I would like to have the readings and I will change the sensors to the new ones when I replace the tires next.
Hm, interesting. I've had my Model S for over 4 years and the only time the tire pressure warning came on was when a tire was completely flat. One time when I had new tires installed, the tire shop inflated all four to 35 psi (10 psi low) but there were no warnings. I wonder if there are "old sensors" and "older sensors"...

Also, my understanding is that you would need new sensors in the tires and a new receiver (or receivers?) in the car to get the dashboard readings.