Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Firmware 8.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our AP2 (mX) has tried for 2 days now, to install something, & then it it goes completely away, so we can't try to restart. Once it resets & wants to try again, weird stuff happens ... doors open up after being locked ..... maps go away ... and "needs servive" notifications. Oh well.

I'm away without my MS, it's on 17.26.76 - and while away this week I got not one but two software update notifications, on 9/5 and 9/8.

Since I can't update my car's SW remotely, am I missing out on two rounds of "minor fixes and improvements"? The suspense is killing me! :)

I'm away without my MS, it's on 17.26.76 - and while away this week I got not one but two software update notifications, on 9/5 and 9/8.

Since I can't update my car's SW remotely, am I missing out on two rounds of "minor fixes and improvements"? The suspense is killing me! :)
No. From others that have deferred previous updates, you get "reminders" for the same thing until you install or IIRC eventually Tesla gives up on you. ;)

My car upgraded to 2017.36 (1b27c6d) overnight and there is one new feature in the release notes:

IMG_0002.JPG

Yep, but it's still not showing individual pedestal health by leveraging the bars (currently red to show usage, these could be repurposed to show red/orange/yellow/green for various levels of recent/average kWh delivered).

Knowing in advance which pedestals/towers are bad saves time for everyone.

The new feature *may* be intended to show a sitewide reduced power condition, which is often helpful to know in advance so as to route around a bad site (e.g., Erie, PA in May.)

Ok, here's another potentially meaningful "feature" that I noticed in this latest firmware version 2017.36:

Assuming you have "mirror auto-fold" set to ON in your vehicle settings, the mirrors now unfold upon the car unlocking.
Previously, the mirrors only unfolded after a door was physically opened.

Of course, no mention of this in the release notes.. but worthy of a mention nonetheless, in my humble opinion.

Ok, here's another potentially meaningful "feature" that I noticed in this latest firmware version 2017.36:

Assuming you have "mirror auto-fold" set to ON in your vehicle settings, the mirrors now unfold upon the car unlocking.

Of course, no mention of this in the release notes.. but worthy of a mention nonetheless, in my humble opinion.
And if you have it turned off as I do and you choose to manually fold them in (as in hit the button) they will fold out once you start moving or at least mine do. This is a new behavior with 2017.34.

Mine have always unfolded when approaching the car. I would prefer that they only unfolded when the door physically opens. It's a pain in the butt when I'm washing the car with the fob in my pocket as when I walk away and return the mirrors are constantly folding in and out. Yes I have 15sec auto lock on.

And if you have it turned off as I do and you choose to manually fold them in (as in hit the button) they will fold out once you start moving or at least mine do. This is a new behavior with 2017.34.

Oh please tell me there is more to it than what you are saying. I may have to go back to refusing to install updates on my car. I explicitly have auto-fold turned off b/c I don't my mirrors unfolding until after I clear the garage door when leaving! If it unfolds once I start moving, they may hit the side of the garage on the way out. :(

Oh please tell me there is more to it than what you are saying. I may have to go back to refusing to install updates on my car. I explicitly have auto-fold turned off b/c I don't my mirrors unfolding until after I clear the garage door when leaving! If it unfolds once I start moving, they may hit the side of the garage on the way out. :(
Let me check tomorrow. I don't normally fold mine in but I do on occasion. The last two times I did it they did unfold on their own. There might be a speed component to it.

so you can differentiate the new city chargers from superchargers.
It doesn't say city (destination?) chargers. But as others surmised, it appears Tesla is claiming to be helping owners get to faster running superchargers. If that's the case, this new software upgrade "feature" is almost laughable (if it wasn't so depressing) - that Tesla would want to call this an improvement. Reworded, it might be presented as a commercial with a bunch of clowns, riding little tricycles honking little horns while they say;
"hey boys & girls, look what we're doing for you! Since so many of the superchargers throttle down so quickly, regardless of the empty stalls next to you - the latest update will help you know which stalls are running less horribly slow! (presuming at least some arent ~ nyuk nyuk).
Yes! it's much faster & easier to write a bunch of a new code than it is to actually fix the SC's ... so .... enjoy the improvements!
wow. what next. Maybe a vacation planner, update - that keeps us closer to home, so we don't have to use as many of the throttled -power broken down superchargers? Woohoo! I'm in!
:p

the latest update will help you know which stalls are running less horribly slow! (presuming at least some arent ~ nyuk nyuk).

I don't think it's even that good. It's not stall-specific. And it's not real time. It just tells you which supercharger locations are "full speed" (120kWh or 135kWh) or "urban" (72kWh). It just shows the maximum rated power output. And I suspect (but don't know) that if a SC location output is reduced, it's not going to display that. It's really just meant to separate Urban SC from the rest.